Is it every OK to wear a hat when driving ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Noticed a few driving motorhomes with hats on .... do they also wear in bed :winky:

come on, own up .. what type do you wear ..or not as the case may be :roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Guilty as charged. I like some form of peak or brim on my hat when driving as it keeps the sun out of my eyes much better than the sun visor...

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
probaly a good idea to wear a hat in an RV when its raining,with the rain comeing through the roof:roflmto:
but cant see the need in a euro van/motorhome:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have noticed at shows a leaning to to some people wearing Cowboy hats.
Is this the RV Badge?:Eeek:

GRRRR... It is not a cowboy hat it is an Ausie Bush hat. Much bigger brim.
Keeps the rain off the neck, glasses and shoulders.... Only worn when weather is inclement...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've owned a couple of A Classes where you have a half acre of glass in front of you and when the sun is low a hat is the best thing to keep it out of your eyes. Not a cowboy hat though, it has to be a Tilley:Smile: Link Removed

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I wear a hat similar to this person's below ::bigsmile:

article-1210298-003990E700000258-728_233x362.jpg

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've owned a couple of A Classes where you have a half acre of glass in front of you and when the sun is low a hat is the best thing to keep it out of your eyes. Not a cowboy hat though, it has to be a Tilley:Smile: Link Removed

Proper job the Tilley, have a couple on board the boat. Floats, doesn't degrade in sunlight, lifetime guarantee, name and address inside the pocket should you loose it......

.............Proper job
:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have loads in Suffolk and Norfolk that wear hats when driving, and we give them a wide berth, :winky: especially on market days the only day most of them go out.:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Proper job the Tilley, have a couple on board the boat. Floats, doesn't degrade in sunlight, lifetime guarantee, name and address inside the pocket should you loose it......

.............Proper job
:thumb:
looks like a Itinerant hat to me.

I am now leaving the building:Eeek:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I wear one every day

I have noticed at shows a leaning to to some people wearing Cowboy hats.
Is this the RV Badge?:Eeek:

I wear one every day.. I have done for years and years.. I have 4 cowboy hats.. one is straw working hat I bought in Aberlene in Kansas, I have a rodeo 5XXXXX beaver which I wear at Malvern I also have a Stetson - gunslinger which is for best wear.

But I wear a Minnitonka made (USA) hat every day when I go out on the scooter walking Ezzie and often at shows it is real waterproof.. beaten up and old .. as lived in.

I drive often with a baseball cap as I have a large window screen and it allows me to knock out the sun by tipping it down a bit... the screen blinds are not big enough.

I also have an old South African hat made out of the skin of a Kudo.. very soft and waterproof that I sometimes use (not often).... hats are to me as important as shoes are to SWMBO.

Do not wear them in bed.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Must confess love hats of all types.. I have hat collection, Ausie leather bush hat, black cowboy Stetson, (bought in Germany of all places) , Driza-Bone wax hat, SA bush hat, Harris Tweed flat cap (for driving in Suffolk :roflmto:) and countless baseball hats ..

in bed.. ? that's for me to know... :winky:

EDIT

Just noticed the typo in the post title ... :Doh:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A bit off topic but why do (older) people put white sun hats on the parcel shelves of their car? They are always trilby type things.

It shouldnt , but it winds me up.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A bit off topic but why do (older) people put white sun hats on the parcel shelves of their car? They are always trilby type things.

just as bad.... a builders hard hat :Doh:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've got a Tilley and according to the advertising bumph they fed one to an elephant and it passed through the elephants digestive system and came out unscathed, must be good!!

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've got a Tilley and according to the advertising bumph they fed one to an elephant and it passed through the elephants digestive system and came out unscathed, must be good!!
I can not see how anything farted out an elephants backside can be any good:ROFLMAO:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Oooooo dear, I must confess to wearing a hat since my early teens......no not the same one.......I have upwards of 40 hats From flat caps to cowboy hats and possibly every thing in between......I don't however own a bowler or top hat nor have I ever owned a stetson.....as I sit here at my office desk I am wearing a baseball cap........Rosie often points out to me I have a hat on when I shouldn't I forget it's there :RollEyes: :Blush:

All the best Rick

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a thinsulate hat for cold weather to keep the tabs warm.
I have an ausie bush hat for when it's raining
I have a baseball cap for normal wear ie no rain and not too hot rare I wear it these days though.
For when it's hot I need to get myself a new straw hat....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have an aussie bush hat and also a variety of baseball caps, because as a shortsighted spectacle wearer my visibilty in rain is rapidly reduced to zero without something with a peak to keep the rain off.
I never drive with a hat on though.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

How do you know that wasn't the one you bought? :Smile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

That's because they can't remember where they have put them :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I almost always have one on my head and I bet I have 10 hat's in the coach :Cool:

All the best Rick

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hats

i never leave home without me Tilley:winky:
brian

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have a faded and battered Tilley hat for keeping the sun off - not been through an elephant, just looks like it has! ::bigsmile:

Also a couple of rather fetching fake-fur-edged Cossack type hats for keeping the cold out.

Don't drive wearing any hat tho'. My van is designed to keep out the weather and even has sun visors. :winky:

Nix (Border Collie) has an aversion to men wearing wide-brimmed hats, but is ok with baseball caps. Serious lack of taste on her part. :RollEyes:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I am always wary of drivers who wear hats and gloves.The more mature drivers are usually confused with no spatial awareness, the younger driver is generally a boy racer and if he has gloves probably a tea leaf!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a faded and battered Tilley hat for keeping the sun off - not been through an elephant, just looks like it has! ::bigsmile:

Also a couple of rather fetching fake-fur-edged Cossack type hats for keeping the cold out.

Don't drive wearing any hat tho'. My van is designed to keep out the weather and even has sun visors. :winky:

Nix (Border Collie) has an aversion to men wearing wide-brimmed hats, but is ok with baseball caps. Serious lack of taste on her part. :RollEyes:
Forgot I also have a siberian fur hat for deepest winter.

The sun always shines through either the side or the gap between the two sun shades or is too low in the sky for the sun visor... The hat always works :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back