Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hi all,

Just come back from a fantastic trip to Lake Garda. We stayed at Metz, (France), Lucern (Switzerland) and Peschiera Del Garda.

Here are some of the photos snapped up;

Link Removed

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi all,

Just come back from a fantastic trip to Lake Garda. We stayed at Metz, (France), Lucern (Switzerland) and Peschiera Del Garda.

Link Removed

Hi Craig, Crackin' photos and you describe my trip in 4 weeks time beautifully, my route is Belgium / Luxembourg / Metz / Lucern / Garda.

Are there any "must do's" you would recommend. .. Griff
:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Craig, Crackin' photos and you describe my trip in 4 weeks time beautifully, my route is Belgium / Luxembourg / Metz / Lucern / Garda.

Are there any "must do's" you would recommend. .. Griff
:thumb:

You should see the Pompidou centre whilst in Metz.Also the wonderfull mix of stained glass windows in the Cathedral including some by Chagal.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Stunning Photos

My favourite was the one of the the black swan and white swan.

They have certainly cheared me up this morning.

Sonja

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!

Are there any "must do's" you would recommend. .. Griff :thumb:

You'll love it. It's a fantastic route.

Metz is well worth a longer stop, as already mentioned above there is a lot to see in Metz. If you are stopping at the Municiple Plage then make sure you book as it gets very busy. There is a free Aire outside the gate, but I never saw an empty space there the whole time.

On the way down, we did Calais into Belgium, into Luxembourg (for a fillup) and down to Metz then went onto Luzern (Lucern). If you've never been to Switzerland then be prepared to be shocked at the price of things.........

I've summed up Switzerland in 2 words - "Beautifully Expensive".

Then went onto Lake Garda. We didn't do half as much as we wanted, but then the trip wasn't long enough, but it means that we will be back.

Personal favorite is Lazise, really liked that place!

Because we were limited on time, we wanted to get some more time in Metz, so took the decision to do Garda to Metz in one trip. Got to the Municpal 10 mintutes before it closed and was lucky to get a pitch, altough one without hookup. We moved the next day to a pitch that we had reserved. The site was rammed.

Metz has a little tourist train thing that you can get on and listen to English commentary as you get driven around. It's 6 Euros each and lasts about 45 minutes. Well worth it. One thing to note, we found that not many people speak English in Metz, so worth brushing up on your French. Luckily, we know enough to get us about.

Hope you enjoy your trip, it's brilliant! :thumb:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hi all,

Link Removed

Good to have you back and see your wonderful photographs Craig, you mentioned how Switzerland was expensive,looking back would you say it was still the best route ?

Some on here say Austria may work out more economical,but like you we have time limits.
We only have 16 more sleeps till we go,also noticed the Giro D'Italia(Italy's version of the Tour D'France) is on whilst we are there, wonder if any funster's have seen it .

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Good to have you back and see your wonderful photographs Craig, you mentioned how Switzerland was expensive,looking back would you say it was still the best route ?

Some on here say Austria may work out more economical,but like you we have time limits.
We only have 16 more sleeps till we go,also noticed the Giro D'Italia(Italy's version of the Tour D'France) is on whilst we are there, wonder if any funster's have seen it .

Yes, I'd say so. Make sure you have a fill up in Luxembourg and you should have enough to get through to Italy. When you get to Italy, don't just go to the nearest Petrol station though as the ones on the Autostrada are pretty expensive too.

If you are staying just the one night in Luzern, then maybe just eat in for that one night?

To be honest, now that we don't it once and the we did the extra push to spend more time in Metz, when we go down next time we are planning the following;

Over to Calais on a night crossing and sleeping at the Ferry terminal. Then drive through Belgium into Luxembourg and staying the night in Luxembourg, then having a long day driving straight to Lake Garda via Switzerland non-stop.

Just means more time at the Lake, however, if you've not been, then Metz and Lucern are great cities to witness!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
then having a long day driving straight to Lake Garda via Switzerland non-stop.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Pay a vignette for the privilege of driving through one of the most magnificent countries in Europe.

OK, if time is tight you don't have the options, but Metz or Switzerland, got to be Switzerland.

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009

Pay a vignette for the privilege of driving through one of the most magnificent countries in Europe.

OK, if time is tight you don't have the options, but Metz or Switzerland, got to be Switzerland.

You only need a vignette if you are using the Swiss motorways. We crossed into Switzerland accidentally during our first year and was told at the border we didn't need it unless we intended to use the motorways.

Carolyn

CarolynandMike

Free Member
Nov 21, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Liberty
Exp
since 2009
Hi all,

Link Removed

Craig, your unidentified bird in the photos is an Egyptian Goose. Fantastic photos.

Carolyn

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Head south from Füssen and you can sneak through Austria with no toll charges and a pass to die for.

Stop at Sägemühle then one hop to Garder.

Of course to pass through Füssen without doing the castles would be a crime.

Attachments

• sm1.jpg
    sm1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 11
  • sm2.jpg
    sm2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 9

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You only need a vignette if you are using the Swiss motorways
Carolyn

Correct. Some times of the year that's all that is on offer, we found a pass blocked by snow in May and had to illegally take to the motorways. Compared to the French it's a bargain anyway.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!

Absolutly agree. It's a wonderful country, but them Mountains ain't cheap if you plan on eating/drinking out. :roflmto:

I think the "Vig" is worth it just for the access to the St. Gotthard Tunnel.

I think a tour just of Switzerland could make a trip on it's own.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think a tour just of Switzerland could make a trip on it's own.

Oh yes. Providing costs are not too devastating. We've camped their twice in our Eurocamp tent days with 2 small kids. There are sights to die for.

An interesting aside, Manor Farm, Interlaken, we got there as the rep was pulling up tents, the river into the lake was about to overflow. Out tent was on a higher bit of the site. In the end it didn't overflow.

Life is just too short for Europe, if we spent our entire lives doing nothing but tour we still would not see all the good bits.

http://www.manorfarm.ch/

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
holiday pictures

Hi, Craig great pix I did this same trip as you and went a little further on to yugoslavia back in my youth with a few of my friends in 1967/68:Cool: I can sympathise with you re. switzerland prices because I remember paying £5 for a coffee and a minute piece of cherrycake you may laugh but that was half a weeks wages for me then :Doh:but what a fantastic trip:thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
nice photos...:thumb:

we had planned to do that run later this month..but alas plans have changed as clare will be on crutches then, now

Was wondering, anyone know if its still as spectacular going in September - as in snow capped peaks, green meadows and all that - or are we best delaying for a year???

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
This was my first time to the Swiss Alps, so possibly not best to comment, however, I suspect that the highest peaks always have a dusting of snow but I suspect the many waterfalls that drain the melting snow will be pretty dry.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
nice photos...:thumb:

we had planned to do that run later this month..but alas plans have changed as clare will be on crutches then, now

Was wondering, anyone know if its still as spectacular going in September - as in snow capped peaks, green meadows and all that - or are we best delaying for a year???

I've been to Switzerland many times at various times of year, September will be fantastic. Go for it... Griff :thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Good to see you didnt get any sand in your Brownie........really good pics
a veritable treat :)

barry:Smile:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Great photos

We did this trip last Sept/Oct Metz, Luzern, Garda, then onto Venice, Florence, Pisa, Levanto back through France.

Your photos are fantastic and reminded us of our fab trip, thanks. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back