is a 100 to many or should it be limited to 60 (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Is 100 to many for a meet? or should it be limited to 60?

We have been moved at Malvern as we outgrew the original area we had, which was near the entrance to the show... so we ended up in the back of beyond because we had increased in numbers (Nothing to do with Clive's (The Griffs) singing.... we also moved at Peterborough as we had grown.. to an area that was more lily and prone to flooding (as we know it did) because we had gone up to 100 in number.

A couple of questions are raised in my mind.

1) Can all of us get in to our own tent with the prospect of 200 people if 100 motorhomes are booked in with us.

2) Will the quality of the bacon rolls suffer ... supplementary question here.. can they be cooked fast enough of is bacon rolls to feed 200 people a) will the local supermarkets have enough rolls or bacon:Sad: b) can you actually get to the tent with so many in the line and c) if JIM is selling his fairy lights .. that means we do not have his dab hand at the cadac?:cry:

3) it will take hours to say yellow to everyone on a fine day... I will have to pack a lunch and take a flask .. or if I keep getting offered a mug of tea will I get back to in time to have a
pee?:Blush:

ON a serious note... the poor Marshall's trying to park up that number i.e 100 looks a daunting task.. almost full time warners yellow jackets are needed, not club members.

I always manage to book early.. often some leave it to the last moment and as we know those that wanted to turn up on spec and go in the general area were unable as they closed the entry to them.

But I wonder what thoughts, debate this will bring .. I feel, and it is my personal view at 50 to 60 is a good number.. At Newbury we have about 30 if I am not wrong.. that is going to mean I can get around and see all and I am still in striking distance to get back to the RV when it is time to empty the bladder... my poor old scooter batteries will run out if we get any bigger... I joined MHF because it was a friendly smaller group.. if I wanted large I would go with C &CC or general parking. So what say you:shout:

Bob:Cool:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
bring it on! the day when we are the biggest club at meets and rally's:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Personally speaking I think the size of the turnout is fantastic and a great reflection on the "Forum" in general.
What does stand out for me though is the fact that Event organiser's are quite happy to take our money then push us out into the extreme perimeters of the events,or is that just me being cynical?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think you have hit the nail on the head

Personally speaking I think the size of the turnout is fantastic and a great reflection on the "Forum" in general.
What does stand out for me though is the fact that Event organiser's are quite happy to take our money then push us out into the extreme perimeters of the events,or is that just me being cynical?

Cynical? no I think you have hit the nail on the head... the bigger we are the worse we are treated by Warners.

Being big is fine if it works for you. But we seem to be in the situation where we are given the worse camping areas, miles from the show ground.

Now for example I used to go in Disabled parking and was right beside the show... with MHF I am now miles away from the show. (was ok a couple years ago) same with Peterborough.. we are now consigned to MHF lake....

It will decide my booking pattern next year I know that. While I love being with MHF.. but not at the cost of being sent miles away... The bus service from the area we were in was fine for many.. but not with a wheelchair or a scooter. I had to watch my battery charge state very very carefully. Takes the edge off the show.

So no I do not think you are being cynical....

Those that want it large so far where were they at Peterborough?

Bob:Blush::Blush::Blush::Blush::reel::reel::reel::reel:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I see your point Bob. Some of the best get-togethers are when there are only enough people to fit under an awning, say 20 or so; everyone gets to sit down together no one is left out. But at the large show rallies if you excluded some people because we were 'full' they might just go with another club. :Eeek: Its a difficult one. Anyone running a meet can limit the numbers to suit them and their workload but I wouldn't want to do that at the show rallies. Hopefully we'd just keep adding additional marshals.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
the head... the bigger we are the worse we are treated by Warners.

Being big is fine if it works for you. But we seem to be in the situation where we are given the worse camping areas, miles from the show ground.

Its not that they are treating us worse, its just we outgrow the areas closer to the show. All those bits of grass inside and closer are taken up by the much smaller clubs that are pitching up with 10/20/30 vans or so. Take the Dung heap last year the MCC were even further away, Facts were just next to us. The bigger rally areas are normaly a little further away. And while it might feel like miles, its generally a couple of hundred meters at most:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is 100 to many for a meet? or should it be limited to 60?

We have been moved at Malvern as we outgrew the original area we had, which was near the entrance to the show... so we ended up in the back of beyond because we had increased in numbers (Nothing to do with Clive's (The Griffs) singing.... we also moved at Peterborough as we had grown.. to an area that was more lily and prone to flooding (as we know it did) because we had gone up to 100 in number.

No comment on Malvern location as we've only been once (last year). However our location at Peterborough this year was more or less the same as 3 years ago and, because of the straighter road into the show, not really much further to go (plus the courtesy buses readily available if required.

A couple of questions are raised in my mind.

1) Can all of us get in to our own tent with the prospect of 200 people if 100 motorhomes are booked in with us.

Probably not.

2) Will the quality of the bacon rolls suffer ... supplementary question here.. can they be cooked fast enough of is bacon rolls to feed 200 people a) will the local supermarkets have enough rolls or bacon:Sad: b) can you actually get to the tent with so many in the line and c) if JIM is selling his fairy lights .. that means we do not have his dab hand at the cadac?:cry:

Should we actually expect bacon rolls as the default position or should it be no bacon rolls above a manageable number (chief marshal's decision)?

3) it will take hours to say yellow to everyone on a fine day... I will have to pack a lunch and take a flask .. or if I keep getting offered a mug of tea will I get back to in time to have a
pee?:Blush:

I couldn't possibly comment ::bigsmile:

ON a serious note... the poor Marshall's trying to park up that number i.e 100 looks a daunting task.. almost full time warners yellow jackets are needed, not club members.

The two daunting factors last weekend were the weather and the fact that some people did not give notice of either cancelling or that their arrival time would be significantly different. Without those two factors it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.

I always manage to book early.. often some leave it to the last moment and as we know those that wanted to turn up on spec and go in the general area were unable as they closed the entry to them.

To be fair to Warners (who can't be blamed for the weather) entry was only closed because of the extreme circumstances and they do say in their pre-published information regarding non-booked camping "We are unable to guarantee a pitch". No different to the theatre/cinema/a restaurant really. If one turns up without booking one may find no space available.

But I wonder what thoughts, debate this will bring .. I feel, and it is my personal view at 50 to 60 is a good number.. At Newbury we have about 30 if I am not wrong.. that is going to mean I can get around and see all and I am still in striking distance to get back to the RV when it is time to empty the bladder... my poor old scooter batteries will run out if we get any bigger... I joined MHF because it was a friendly smaller group.. if I wanted large I would go with C &CC or general parking. So what say you:shout:

Perhaps you need a scooter trailer with Porta Potti and generator Bob ::bigsmile:
Bob:Cool:
Generally speaking I suppose the physical space available at any given venue is the real limiting factor. In most cases that means the total can't be anything but more modest.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
size is not important..... according to the mrs !!!!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have already decided we don't want to attend these large events they are just too big to be fun.
Last year we went to Shrewsbury and although I cannot remember how many were there it was a small number and we enjoyed it more than a large meet.
The B & B appears to be getting a bit too big, it was more enjoyable when we knew everyone there. At a large meet you can never get to meet (or remember) everyone. :Doh:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think Funsters are like cold beers in the fridge, RAM or goals in the back of United's net... there can never be too many of them...

JJ :Cool:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Maybe we need to split into Funsters Northern Section, Funsters Southern Section and Daily Mail reading Funsters:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sonja

We cant do that Sonja, :winky: our assistants are in the northern section. :Smile:

You tell her Graham. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We cant do that Sonja, :winky: our assistants are in the northern section. :Smile:

You tell her Graham. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff
Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff Itwasaoneoff :ROFLMAO:

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
Why not have two fields of 50. The first to book go in the first with their marshalls and the next in the following with seperate marshalls. And if that big another field and so on.

Could even then reach a point of having a complete circle of adjoining fields around an event but each looked after as an individual - but all together.

Michael

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Why not have two fields of 50. The first to book go in the first with their marshalls and the next in the following with seperate marshalls. And if that big another field and so on.

Could even then reach a point of having a complete circle of adjoining fields around an event but each looked after as an individual - but all together.

Michael

Hi Michael, you have a good idea there, :roflmto: how about you marshal for RVOC, :winky: and we will be in the field next door and marshal for fun. :thumb: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
KNowing some of the rvoc guys - of which I am one - I don't want a hi-vis.

I will need a combat jacket.
Must try and remember where I put my paintball gun - that would sort out any parking disputes.
:welcomefunster::welcomefunster: - wrong bit - move over

Winnies here

Others there

sounds fun - will have to meet up somewhen

Michael

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Bob, I thank you for having the bottle to raise it and as someone that has arranged many meets and marshalled many meets under the fun name I think for once, Nikki and I can make a valid contribution.

Firstly a distinction should be made between a meet and a show. Im sure that Bob and Jane won't agree after this weekend at Peterborough :ROFLMAO: but doing shows is NORMALLY a dawn site easier than doing meets. Generally, again Peterborough excluded you have a list of people, they turn up, you show them somewhere to park and bob's your uncle (thats not you Bob but my dad's brother:winky:) the sun's out, you relax and make some hog roast on Sunday morning.

A meet, is about finding a suitable place, having an idea, having sleepness nights, finding things for your punters to do, arranging and running through scenarios in your head day after day, what if this happens, what if that happens and making sure that you cover everything. Hopefully, any of those that have attended the meets Nikki and I have done (do do ) over the years will appreciate the effort put in. There are no tractors by the organisers to call upon, no first aid stations no fire engine on site all of which you have to consider.

so that brings me on to your question and something raised by Keith.

The first B&B we done, we had 30 vans, a great time was had by all, we all left the meet being friends with the other 29 vans. We loved doing it, got a buzz off of people having a good time and enjoyed ourselves.

However, over the years, MHF has grown and grown and grown. This is mainly due to the way that Jim has run it, (not arselicking just stating a fact) he is an intelligent man and runs it like so.

This year I have listed 75 vans to come to the B&B and this means one big headache. However, what many won't remember is the philosophy as to the birth of MHF. That being inclusion and not exclusion. We had people with trailer tents as members then as well as people with the most beaten up vans that would make JJ's wagon look like a brand new Hymer. There was a large emphasis on things not being snobbery, a large emphasis on being different to the Dark side and other clubs. That I am convinced continues but with success comes new punters.

In my mind over the years there has been some fantastic meets I have attended and arranged. Some have had as little as 5 vans and we have had a ball. Personally when Nikki and I arrange things for the potential 80 vans turning up on our wedding anniversary , Im proud to give something back to something that over the past however many years has become part of my life. I have made some great friends from this forum and met many miserable old gits like Hilldweller that I would now class as friends even in a cyber world. I for one would not like to restrict that and reduce the attendance of people to any meet based on the way we are treated by Warners or anyone else.

There's more to life than shows as Cheyne's whitby weekend Shielas fantastic 40s weeekend and our upcoming Pickering weekend demonstrate.

Exclusion is a nasty thing, if I could only get 30 places for an event then I would try and get 40 if demand was good enough. I hate excluding people on any ground. Although the toughest decision I had was to say RV's were not able to come to the new year meet due to logistic difficulties.

One other thing you need to consider as Jackie and Tony and GJH (Gill and Graham) have demonstrated this weekend, is that many funsters are only too keen to help out. Its not an elitist club, help is at hand from all and sundry.

On a personal note? some of the best meets are those where there are so few but I will take anything for a night away, At Chester it was impossible to say hello to everyone but only because Champers got me drunk :RollEyes:

so what ever you do 5 vans or 500 enjoy it and stop worrying about it ::bigsmile::winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Worryingly so, it's a small site, small pub, straw that broke the camel's back comes to mind.

don't worry Brian. This is haggers your talking about, You know I have something up my sleeve to ensure success, your going to love it. :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
don't worry Brian. This is haggers your talking about, You know I have something up my sleeve to ensure success, your going to love it. :winky:

Sure to love it but won't have a chance of remembering names. We'd better all have our badges on.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Haggers you are starting to make a habit of sensible articulate posts:ROFLMAO:

(apart from the one wishing your wife was dirtier):ROFLMAO:

Your going to have to get use to more Funsters as they come into the light:thumb:

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Now for example I used to go in Disabled parking and was right beside the show... with MHF I am now miles away from the show. (was ok a couple years ago) same with Peterborough..

It will decide my booking pattern next year I know that. While I love being with MHF.. but not at the cost of being sent miles away... The bus service from the area we were in was fine for many.. but not with a wheelchair or a scooter. I had to watch my battery charge state very very carefully. Takes the edge off the show.

I am really pleased that Bob has raised this issue. It's a difficult one. My hubby is disabled and a recent total knee replacement has really knocked him for six. Having chronic sciatica, motability is an issue for me as well. Ten minutes walking and we are just about done for. Therefore the thought of being miles away from the show is a real downer and will almost certainly negatively impact our participation as Funsters. Bummer....

Another poster suggested splitting into two groups. If that is seen as a viable idea, perhaps one group could be for the less able, located closer to the show itself and with the marquee, bacon butties and beer, whilst the more spritely could come there to join the fun.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
What we really need is our own Motorhome Fun Show........then we can all park near the showground and all the other clubs (if we invite them) would all be parked out further:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Maybe we need to[HI] split into Funsters Northern Section, Funsters Southern Section and Daily Mail reading Funsters[/HI]:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sonja

Where would you put the Welsh, personally I would want them with the Southern as most of them are from central or south Wales, then we could all wear uniforms.

................Northern ---- cloth cap and whippet,

................Southern---- shades, shorts and Pimms in hand.

Then north or south DM readers could have a rolled up paper under their arm or just wear a miserable look on their faces........sorted.....Griff...see to it Jim
:thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Where would you put the Welsh, personally I would want them with the Southern as [HI]most of them are from central or south Wales[/HI], then we could all wear uniforms.

................Northern ---- cloth cap and whippet,

................Southern---- shades, shorts and Pimms in hand.

Then north or south DM readers could have a rolled up paper under their arm or just wear a miserable look on their faces........sorted.....Griff...see to it Jim
:thumb:

OI! What about me?:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back