Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Cheap generators of the Clark , B&Q 850W sort can and do cause massive problems to modern motorhomes. They can still be used if some precautions are followed.
1) do not connect to EHU on the van.
2) do not use the built in charger that came with the van use a stand alone 12v charger (not the low current 12v output on the genny.
3) run any appliances off of an extension lead.
These generators and their ilk have serious voltage spikes that can take out your on-board electronics, Electrabloc etc.
[HI]
You have been warned
[/HI]

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I remember reading Dave Newell posting about the electrobock thing saying if you have one of these you needed something to protect it (I think not as young and all that) perhaps Dave would like to post on here ?

Ahhh found it on daves web site I knew I had seen it somewhere

Taken from daves web site

Schaudt Elektroblock distribution units, as fitted to many German built motorhomes have a serious issue with mains voltage fluctuations. essentially if everyone on site switches off their electric kettle at the same time it can cause a voltage spike that will kill the battery charger element of the Elektroblock. The Schaudt OVP01 removes this possibility by filtering out high voltage spikes. The unit measures 131mm long, 90mm high, 50mm thick.

£85.78 inc Vat + P&P

--------------------

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Would you not be able to protect against 'spikes' by simply using an ordinary 13amp surge protection lead? between the geny & the van.
I see you are saying cheap generators I assume that Honda are OK ,
So what is the difference between the sine wave on a Honda to a Clark. I only ask as I was thinking of buying a Clark.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Oh cheers...guess what ive got sitting in the shed for future use? I,d better think again, I suppose it going to end up being a Honda after all:cry::cry:
not that ive got the german stuff (they bombed our chip shop:ROFLMAO:), but the others may be similarly fragile:Angry:.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Would you not be able to protect against 'spikes' by simply using an ordinary 13amp surge protection lead? between the geny & the van.
I see you are saying cheap generators I assume that Honda are OK ,
So what is the difference between the sine wave on a Honda to a Clark. I only ask as I was thinking of buying a Clark.

there is nothing wrong with the clarke inverter one same as the other chinese inverter generators they are not as robust as the honda but they are not the same price.

the generators roger were on about are the somewhat unregulated 2 stroke £59.99 things from lidl etc.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I remember reading Dave Newell posting about the electrobock thing saying if you have one of these you needed something to protect it (I think not as young and all that) perhaps Dave would like to post on here ?

Ahhh found it on daves web site I knew I had seen it somewhere

Taken from daves web site

Schaudt Elektroblock distribution units, as fitted to many German built motorhomes have a serious issue with mains voltage fluctuations. essentially if everyone on site switches off their electric kettle at the same time it can cause a voltage spike that will kill the battery charger element of the Elektroblock. The Schaudt OVP01 removes this possibility by filtering out high voltage spikes. The unit measures 131mm long, 90mm high, 50mm thick.

£85.78 inc Vat + P&P

Got one of those from Dave when he fitted the solar panel for us. Dead easy to fit. Just plugs in to the Elektroblock and tucks neatly beside it.

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
there is nothing wrong with the clarke inverter one same as the other chinese inverter generators they are not as robust as the honda but they are not the same price.

the generators roger were on about are the somewhat unregulated 2 stroke £59.99 things from lidl etc.

I use a clarke gene, not got a electro bloc tho, not since I sold the Hymer, just a 12v charger......I've also got one of the cheapo 2 stroke, I almost got 2 revs out of it once....AND it almost started !! .:cry:.....anyone want to buy a cheap 2 stroke gene...:thumb:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I use a clarke gene, not got a electro bloc tho, not since I sold the Hymer, just a 12v charger......I've also got one of the cheapo 2 stroke, I almost got 2 revs out of it once....AND it almost started !! .:cry:.....anyone want to buy a cheap 2 stroke gene...:thumb:
sounds like it needs a new plug (as does mine) These problems never affected the old motorhomes that lacked electronics. and would be quite safe if used with an external charger. a generator new for £60 ish has to have some drawbacks. but on the plus side you are not burning a lot of expencive petrol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
sounds like it needs a new plug (as does mine) These problems never affected the old motorhomes that lacked electronics. and would be quite safe if used with an external charger. a generator new for £60 ish has to have some drawbacks. but on the plus side you are not burning a lot of expencive petrol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Must admit, I did get it going once, ran it without load for about 15 mins, then it went on strike, never bothered with it since..........I'm a motor vehicle engineer and MOT tester but I don't even service my own vehicles now........she says I'm idle....but I haven't got the energy to start a row...:Angry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had the clarke 1Kw sine generator and it has been fine for 9 months. Must have put 40 hours on it in that time no problems.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have had the clarke 1Kw sine generator and it has been fine for 9 months. Must have put 40 hours on it in that time no problems.
it isnt the more expensive (£250+) inverter models, but the cheap 650w/750w 2 stroke jobbies.

no voltage regulation as such and rely on pre-determined engine speed to produce 230v and 50hz frequency, which is why they should always be warmed up and revs stabilised before plugging in

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Anybody own one of these the price seems ok

Stephill
Stephill Shx1000 Hobbygen Four Stroke Petrol Generator (powered By Honda)
Sale Price: £560.68
Promotional Price
Our Usual Price: £798.01

Stephill
Stephill Shx2000 Hobbygen Four Stroke Petrol Generator (powered By Honda)
Sale Price: £699.57
Promotional Price

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anybody own one of these the price seems ok

Stephill
Stephill Shx1000 Hobbygen Four Stroke Petrol Generator (powered By Honda)
Sale Price: £560.68
Promotional Price
Our Usual Price: £798.01

Stephill
Stephill Shx2000 Hobbygen Four Stroke Petrol Generator (powered By Honda)
Sale Price: £699.57
Promotional Price
good make and used by many plant hire companies but parts are very expensive.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
On the verge of buying a Honda eu20i, can`t find a local dealer with a decent price, but with the potential hastle of having to return it, is it worth paying the extra?

If not, anyone know of a good reputable online dealer with half decent prices?

Thanks

Steve

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
"should always be warmed up and revs stabilised before plugging in"

I see you've met my wife then Pappajohn........found out what I was doing wrong.........had no children since

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Also, adding the Gas conversion kit adds about £140, is it worth haviing?

Thanks
]
Steve

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
Brian did offer to let us borrow his gene at Peterborough, then he found out that it wouldn't work under water. :Doh:

Nice talking to you yesterday both but next time we had better not meet in your bedroom....:ROFLMAO:

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
BEEN USING MY TWO STROKE GENNY FOR SIX YEARS NOW NO PROBLEMS. JUST MAKE SURE MAIN SWITCH IS OFF CONNECT GENNY WHEN RUNNING AT A STEADY PACE SWITCH ON MAIN SWITCH NO PROBS.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Tick why do you shout "Capitals" and use a text that is nearly brail?:ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Feeling a bit guilty here as I flogged the cheap generator that I assumed blew the electrobloc :Eeek:.

Unfortunately I could not hand it over in person, hence no instructions. I have found they are fine as long as you don't connect until it is running steadily, but electrobloc may be more sensitive than our charger:Sad:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back