LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well Lyn and I jumped into the Van Bitz exhibition unit on Thursday in the wee small hours and drove to Peterborough. With us were two overnight bags and we left our Terios packed full of stuff for our staff to tow up later in the day?

Why? Because my wonderful wife thought that as shows are not difficult enough to organise, set up, and run, that we could further complicate things by arranging with the staff at Oakwell Motorhomes to arrange to take delivery of our new motorhome at the Peterborough show!

Oakwell Motorhomes were great and their staff pulled out all of the stops to get the van finished in time for the new delivery date! We even got the van registered.

So Thursday night once the Terios support unit:roflmto: had arrived we gratefully unloaded everything that we had carefully considered and planned to ensure we had what we needed.

Loads of booze and steak (I did that bit) no wine glasses or as we found out the next morning no coffee mugs or washing up liquid.

Luckily we were parked in the traders area (the good bit with electric hook up, water and concrete (well hook up was the genny:roflmto:) and were surrounded by friends, most of whom seemed to be sat in the van eating the steak and drinking the booze, so what we didn't have we borrowed.

So thanks to Oakwell Motorhomes and to everyone that lent us stuff at the show.

If anyone is interested, I was thinking about posting regular updates about the toys we intend to install on the new van. I thought that I would explain the reasons behind the items that I choose as I am a lucky boy and have the ability to walk around our stock room and point at stuff that I want installing. So my choices will, in the main be about product quality, performance and back up rather than price.

What do you think? Immediate projects are security as a priority, so a Growler security system. The new Dometic pure sine wave inverter/ 100 amp charger, 2 130 watt Alden solar panels with a new advance regulator I want to try, a Victron Battery Management system and a Twin LNB dome or dish (jury is out on that one due to the changes regarding Astra1N)

Lyn will be adding cushions, runners and more bloody cushions as usual:winky:

Eddie

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
is there any chance of posting photo's with the update's of the installs as being a nosy bugger and a tightfisted old so and so:RollEyes: just to see how to do it myself:Blush:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
is there any chance of posting photo's with the update's of the installs as being a nosy bugger and a tightfisted old so and so:RollEyes: just to see how to do it myself:Blush:

Probably not :roflmto: as we always forget to keep taking the pictures, but I would always tell you anyway:winky:

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds like my wife Eddie.

We have electricians and builders here, then a chap turns up to deliver a new bed. Not long after the bloody Tesco delivery man turns up....

Hope you enjoy the new van and please keep us posted about your add ons:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
They used to do a smiliar thing in a well known landrover magazine. It was one long running advert, with the parts bought at prices that readers could,nt get, and fitted by advertisers at little or no cost.
Probably better to copy a different idea, which is to do what you wanted to, but post the links in the technical section on to youtube, then those interested could watch, those not interested, would obviously not.

Sorry and all that, but you are one trader, if they all started doing it, coming on this forum would be like buying the magazines........50 pages of adverts, two pages of readers letters and a crossword!The "features" would all be cunningly designed ads as well.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think what kit Eddie decides to put on his new van will be a positive advert for that kit. If he wants to give us the benefit of his experience as to what kit he chooses and why, where and how its fitted. Then I am interested. I'll never be able to afford a new Victron system, but it does not mean I don't want to see one fitted and know why Eddie chose it. Sure beats talking about the drought or the olympic games. :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I think its a great idea, Eddie testing every thing before you decide to buy these products. ::bigsmile: You will get a true report, and if something turns out to be crap, :winky: that will be off his van quicker than it went on it.:thumb:

I'm interested in what van Eddie has got............................:winky: Hope its not a tag axle front wheel drive euro box. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Im interested in what Eddie is fitting. You never know I may win the lottery one day:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It will also be a refreshing change from the Daily Mail posts.

Sonja

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I think what kit Eddie decides to put on his new van will be a positive advert for that kit. If he wants to give us the benefit of his experience as to what kit he chooses and why, where and how its fitted. Then I am interested. I'll never be able to afford a new Victron system, but it does not mean I don't want to see one fitted and know why Eddie chose it. Sure beats talking about [HI]the drought[/HI] or the olympic games. :Smile:

What drought? :RollEyes:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
To stop it becoming an advert then, what about Jims new motorhome magazine?

I wasn't intending to turn it into an advert to be honest, just that starting with a blank canvas I thought that some may be interested in the thought process behind it.

To be honest, we are always being tapped up for journalists for "free kit" for them to review so not impartial.

Warners wanted me to hold the security seminar at the Peterborough Show, but wanted me to pay them £1,500 plus VAT to talk to people for twenty minutes, which I thought was a bit steep, considering that Van Bitz were already paying about £1200 plus VAT to exhibit there anyway.

So everywhere we look we are reading adverts, it is just that some are 100% transparent and some not so.

As for the forums, I am a member so also have an opinion. I for one would like to see more kit review from users, and I get a little bored reading yet another thread on how to get things for free in Spain or how the best way of getting insurance without telling the insurers that no fixed abode is available.A lot of us work full time, so only get a couple or three weeks holiday a year, so endless full timer posts are tedious for example.

For those of us that still work we spend our "downtime" thinking about what toys and jobs we want done on our motorhomes, and perhaps those of us that do still work, take and bring some thing slightly different to the forum, from those, say that are retired and full time.

This is what makes a forum interesting and vibrant in my opinion.

Eddie

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Sorry and all that, but you are one trader, if they all started doing it, coming on this forum would be like buying the magazines.......

Yes I know that, but one trader that actually owns a motorhome and uses a motorhome as his personal motorhome, not simply picks some thing from stock when the need suits.

So We were all at Peterborough, in the crap, the rain and the wind, along with everyone else watching the dealers all drive their Mercs and Astons out to the nearest Five star hotels rather than spend any more time that they had to with the "muddy people":ROFLMAO:

I have owned a motorhome since I was 28 years old. I am now 51 My youngest son was two days old when he first was on our stand at the Peterborough show. He is now 19 years old (today in fact:thumb:)

I have had European vans and American RV's I had 18 months selling Benimar motorhomes and decided I didn't like selling motorhomes. I took a 38 foot RV around Corsica and got stuck in a street in Paris in a 18 foot Highwayman!

So not all traders are the same!

Eddie

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
"As for the forums, I am a member so also have an opinion. I for one would like to see more kit review from users" as am I,....i did,nt really want to get into a discussion just post an opinion,..but as you say, its a vibrant forum and we should debate things.
Too many yeras buying mags, being on forums that were directed by advertisers, and having my intelligence insulted by people telling me something was a feature when it was clearly an advert, have probably made me a cynic.

The fact remains, that you are a trader. Regardless of anything else, you can buy things at prices an enthusiast can,t......and forgive me again for being a cynic, but your reticence to do a "how to" piece (because fitting is another part of your income?), in my mind, gives credence to my cynicism.
I am more than prepared to be a "voice in the wilderness" on this one:ROFLMAO:, and fully expect to see more eddievanbitz post's in the future, as you must be prepared for me to ignore ALL of your post's, just as i ignore the ads in the mags.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You only need it if you know what it is. I have no idea what one is and I don’t miss having one in any way, so why would anyone need one. The only life changing effect of having one of these is that your bank account will reduce substantially. Apart from that I think that you will manage just fine without one......... :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I would not be interested in the cost, its the review on the product, what they cost has very little to do with it because if you want one you would shop around for the best price. :Smile:

We had our alarm fitted at Van Bitz and would use them again, only because they do an excellent job and sold me the best alarm on the market, but I decided what alarm I wanted and it would be the same with any other product we had fitted, and to have a true report is great, regardless to who I got it from and who fitted it. :thumb: Bob.

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The fact remains, that you are a trader. Regardless of anything else, you can buy things at prices an enthusiast can,t......

Ah, so an assumption! OK so lets look at that. I spent ages stood in the water at Duncans stand Star Spangled Spanner selecting Air Vent covers from Max Air which are better than the European ones I can buy trade, Two Rhino waste hoses, better than the Fiamma ones I buy trade and sell in my shop, two Rhino waste hose connectors which are better than the ones I can buy trade! So buying retail items that I prefer to the mainstream ones available through the normal trade outlets. Also I am not a trader, I am a motorhome enthusiast who happens to own a motorhome business. The van came first.

and forgive me again for being a cynic, but your reticence to do a "how to" piece (because fitting is another part of your income?), in my mind, gives credence to my cynicism.

My 2nd post stated that I wasn't intending to do a "how to piece" but said that I would happily tell anyone how to do anything! You do seem to have an nature that suits your user name.

I am more than prepared to be a "voice in the wilderness" on this one:ROFLMAO:, and fully expect to see more eddievanbitz post's in the future, as you must be prepared for me to ignore ALL of your post's, just as i ignore the ads in the mags.:thumb:

Fair enough it will save me having to correct your misquotes and assumptions I post on MHF on a huge range of things, mainly bugger all to do with motorhomes. If and when I do I am more knowledgeable than most on the forums as it is my field, my job:Doh: If I posted a request for information about a spot on my bum, I would be more likely to take advice from someone from the medical world than some one who was a Postman! Conversely if I had an issue about postal services, the postman's opinion would be more interesting than the medics!

I really do understand your concerns, but your reading far too much into a simple post, based on chatting to people at the weekend:winky: and besides, like a magazine or a TV program a simple button push gets rid of things that bore us or we dislike!

Eddie

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
You mean he'll not be paying for it or the VAT, on loan as a testbed :RollEyes:

of course he will be paying for it he may get some credit from the suppliers but in the end he will pay for it.

also it wont be fitted free either as he still has to pay the members of staff that fit it their wages.

ok so he wont make a profit on what he has installed but while his van is in the workshop there is a customers van not in the workshop.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
I for one have no problem of Eddie posting his latest bit of bling fitted to his m/h, Having recently changed mine i have been busy fitting leds,solar and battery bank not to mention drilling holes in roof to fit rack.
Im in the motor trade so not to difficult for me,but great forum for info when i get stuck,fitting these bits for me is not to much of a issue but finding the right product is and if Eddie can point us in the right direction then whats the problem, He is a professional
Advertising ? read into it what you like for me its information:thumb:
Eddie, just expect to have lots of questions when you start posting
Tony

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Eddie,Just to say I have no problem,but why not do it the sensible way and fit/test what you really need ?
By that I mean for starters yes to a alarm/imob :thumb:but then wait to see what else you need.I think it would be a lot better if say you run out of 12v power you start by adding a extra battery or two,then and only if needed you could look at ways to charge them be it Solar/genny etc, etc,As things stand most peoples needs could then be looked at in light of what they need rather than want.Yes by all means add things to your van but do not fall into the trap of what if ?Wait and see if you run out of power and why,then post away as to how you are going to solve the problem after it has reared it's head.Please do not jump just because you think you will need it,for me it would be a lot more interesting to read you ran out of power for a night so to solve that you are fitting a extra battery :thumb:Try to keep it on things that would save you (or us) money or do not take long to get back investment like say refill gas bottles/tank.It is after all very easy to walk around your shop and say I will have that ,that and that.YES you can fit all the goodies but then all you could tell us is they work or you had problem with it,not why you fitted it to solve this problem.
Obviously I do not mean fry your electrics using a £50 genny and then go out and get the £1000 Honda ::bigsmile:but the thought process behind fitting what you fit would be nice :thumb:
ANYONE want to buy a van with 20k worth of extras fitted ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Eddie,Just to say I have no problem,but why not do it the sensible way and fit/test what you really need ?
By that I mean for starters yes to a alarm/imob :thumb:but then wait to see what else you need.I think it would be a lot better if say you run out of 12v power you start by adding a extra battery or two,then and only if needed you could look at ways to charge them be it Solar/genny etc, etc,As things stand most peoples needs could then be looked at in light of what they need rather than want.Yes by all means add things to your van but do not fall into the trap of what if ?Wait and see if you run out of power and why,then post away as to how you are going to solve the problem after it has reared it's head.Please do not jump just because you think you will need it,for me it would be a lot more interesting to read you ran out of power for a night so to solve that you are fitting a extra battery :thumb:Try to keep it on things that would save you (or us) money or do not take long to get back investment like say refill gas bottles/tank.It is after all very easy to walk around your shop and say I will have that ,that and that.YES you can fit all the goodies but then all you could tell us is they work or you had problem with it,not why you fitted it to solve this problem.
Obviously I do not mean fry your electrics using a £50 genny and then go out and get the £1000 Honda ::bigsmile:but the thought process behind fitting what you fit would be nice :thumb:
ANYONE want to buy a van with 20k worth of extras fitted ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Hi Terry

Yes that is a good idea! And the type of thing that we suggest to our Van Bitz customers:thumb:

However, this is about the 16th motorhome that we have owned, and we are simply updating the Winnebago "C" Class with a nice shiny Gulf Stream "A" Class now that the last of our offspring is old enough not to want to come with us.

:thumb:Eddie

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Eddie no doubt (after 16 vans) you know most of what you need but you also know what you want. IT would be nice to read about you going back to basics :thumb:rather than simply fitting this and that :thumb:perhaps you could draw up a few basic list of what you think you defo need ?
Alarm/imob
internal / external screens/may need may not
etc etc :winky:
terry

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
For my money I think it is a good idea - one thing though please be honest about it - if you fit it because you think it is a good product and find that it does not do what you want please post that and why and what you would prefer to fit in its place. We have in the past bought items which seemed to be the bee's knees yet despite others thinking its wonderful and would never be without it we have found it does not suit our life style etc so please keep us all updated

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am sure that the forums have some power as do the magazine and so does word of mouth, advertising and exhibitions.

I promise that I will not fit anything crap on purpose to my new motorhome just for the sake of promoting it! In the same way that Van Bitz do not knowing sell crap anyway.

An example is the Alden Phenix Sun tracking solar panel. On my Winnebago we fitted one. Retail price of £2499.00 plus installation.

On the new Gulf Stream I am going to install two 130w flat Alden panels

Does this mean that the Phenix is crap? No I don't think so. It simply means that the Phenix when tracking is on average five times more efficient than a flat panel. When tracking! To track I have to turn it on which I normally forget to do. This means that the Phenix is flat so no better than a normal 100W panel, which doesn't cost £2499.00 :roflmto:

This is an example of the sort of information that I thought that I could share by putting my money where my mouth is. So many times at shows salesmen and women say "If it were my van, I'd fit this or that"

Perhaps if it is going to be contentious, I'll stick to rugby threads and donating raffle prizes on demand! :winky:

Eddie

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Eddy

not having had the pleasure of meeting you yet only got back into the uk 3 weeks ago and having my rig imported from the states i am always looking to improve my rig and for me my self alone LOL i would like to see what you have to say and do to your new rig all the best hope to see you soon :thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Perhaps if it is going to be contentious, I'll stick to rugby threads and donating raffle prizes on demand! :winky:

Eddie

No Eddie Please, There is enough waffle on this site as it is.

I, for one, am more than interested in reading anything regarding information about anything to do with MOTORHOMES.

Afterall the forum is about motorhomes.........isn't it?:Confused:

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Eddie a lot of our funsters would not read it if they could not find something contentious, so shows you have a good idea, that a lot of us will find interesting. My husband is looking forward to it.

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
For newbies such as ourselves, any insights into the thinking and reasoning processes of someone in the know as to the why's and wherefore's of various items would be invaluable, imho. Web searches for info from other newbies could also attract new funsters

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would read it

Eddie

I like the idea - I would read it. Ignore the negative comments.

MikeD::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back