Vehicle Excise Duty and how does it effect you (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

I seem to remember that there was an announcement last year in the Budget, that the Vehicle excise duty was going to go up to around the £500/year mark for large-engined vehicles.

I've looked at the website and cannot find a reference to this.

Has anyone come across this or had to pay duty at the higher rates please?

If this is the case how will it affect your choice of vehicle in the future?

What category does an RV come into?

This is what I've got for mine at the moment.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £99.00 12 Months Rate £180.00

Last edited:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
my cars a 4litre v8 £180 the mh £165 i think the increase was going to start on new cars registered from a certain date:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That me ol mate would suggest to me that your Rv is incorrectly resisted
as a PLG
it should be PHG and the cost is about TWENTY pound a year less:Eeek: I just paid £90.75 for 6 months on the 7.5 ton coachmen:thumb:
Geo
ps I heard the price hike was going to efect large engine 4X4s etc reg 2002 onward

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Apparently so Geo.........a years tax on my car cost £190 last year (more than the RVs), that is set to go up, tax disc expires at the end of March :Doh: :cry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Ouch that going to hurt me with my 5700cc Jeep:Doh::cry:

One thing i really love along with the RV:Angry:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
my cars a 4litre v8 £180 the mh £165 i think the increase was going to start on new cars registered from a certain date:Smile:

Cheers. That seems to ring a bell now you mention it.

Just don't want to face a BIG shock when renewal date arrives.:whatthe:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
That me ol mate would suggest to me that your Rv is incorrectly resisted
as a PLG
it should be PHG and the cost is about TWENTY pound a year less:Eeek: I just paid £90.75 for 6 months on the 7.5 ton coachmen:thumb:
Geo
ps I heard the price hike was going to efect large engine 4X4s etc reg 2002 onward

Hi Geo,

So I should get it reclassified to PHG? I can't find a reference to PHG.

Can I do that seeing as it's been classed as PLG for the past 25 years?

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes if its over 3.5 ton it been wrong for 25 years ask em for some money back whilst yer at it 25 x 18 given £18 buys today what a £1 would back then thats £450 overpayment, do a deal settle for two years free road tax:ROFLMAO:
Geo
Just strike out plg on youre V5 write in PLG next to it tick changes box and send off jobs a gooden

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yes if its over 3.5 ton it been wrong for 25 years ask em for some money back whilst yer at it 25 x 18 given £18 buys today what a £1 would back then thats £450 overpayment, do a deal settle for two years free road tax:ROFLMAO:
Geo
Just strike out plg on youre V5 write in PLG next to it tick changes box and send off jobs a gooden

Should that read PHG Geo?

I assume that's Private Heavy Goods. Will take a look at the reg docs tonight.

I like the idea of a refund, However I don't somehow think they'll go for it.:RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry Steve
strike out PLG and write PHG
In the olden days when i was a boy!!! If I remember right the was only 2 classes of vehicles "Private" and "Goods" when did cars get the PLG title anyone remember ??
Geo

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorry Steve
strike out PLG and write PHG
In the olden days when i was a boy!!! If I remember right the was only 2 classes of vehicles "Private" and "Goods" when did cars get the PLG title anyone remember ??
Geo

Hi Geo,

I looked at the Tax disk and it IS PLG.

So the main criteria is the vehicle has to be over 3.5 tons Yes?

Does this have any effect on the classes you are allowed to drive on a standard driving licence without having to take a test to drive a heavier Unit?

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Road Fund Licence for motorhomes

Oh boy, you really are into red-tape area now.............

An excerpt from the UK Motorhomes.net information page:

What road tax (VED) should I be paying?

This is a somewhat complicated area, particularly for new motorhomes which have 'European Whole Vehicle Type Approval' . We are in contact with the DVLA in an attempt to clarify the requirements, and hoped to be presenting a resume here, however despite repeated reminders over 5 months the DVLA Policy Unit have so far been unable to give us a definitive statement of policy on allocating VED bands to type approved motorhomes. We live in hope that an answer will be forthcoming one day. In the meantime, despite what appears to be required under the Graduated VED rules (where the VED rate is determined by the certified CO2 emissions), most new European Whole Vehicle Type Approved motorhomes are being placed in the PLG taxation class (if up to 3500kg) or PHGV (if over 3500kg). Motorhomes that do not have Type Approval do not fall within the Graduated VED scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need to pay UK Road Tax if I'm travelling in Europe?

As we understand it for all EU countries, all visiting vehicles must be road legal in their country of registration, which effectively means that you must have a current UK Road Tax disc and a current MOT Certificate. This may also be a requirement of your insurance company.

Last edited:

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Perhaps I understand it different. This from the Government web site:

'If your vehicle is being kept off the road in GB while you’re abroad and you don’t renew your tax, you must tell DVLA by making a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). You can do this up to two months before the tax disc or SORN expires.'

This I take to mean that you could SORN your vehicle a week hence, and claim your refund on the tax disc. You don't need road tax whilst abroad. Before you come back to this country, you could tax it in advance. Whether the amount saved is worth it, I don't know.

ken

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
iM AFRAID YOU DO NEED TAX WHILST ABROAD
As I understand it
To benifit from the we can use your roads and you can use ours rules, each vehicle MUST be correctly reigistered, Motd, taxed and insured, in other words totaly legal and roadworthy for the country its registerd in Other wise it is deemed illegal where ever it is
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back