Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Been looking at twin bed vans and this is all that we can afford at present. Anyone have one and can let us know pros and cons. Cant believe we have lost £5,000 on the van we bought in October, which we love but find there is just not much space to be 'slobs' in the evenings. :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I just knew it :winky:

We had a CI as our first van although not that model. Really liked it, and great value for money. Can be prone to water ingress, (what aint) so will need a good look :thumb:

expect to lose money on vans , its par for the course unless your a dealer or prepared to sell privately. Did you get your shower fixed/?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Been looking at twin bed vans and this is all that we can afford at present. Anyone have one and can let us know pros and cons. Cant believe we have lost £5,000 on the van we bought in October, which we love but find there is just not much space to be 'slobs' in the evenings. :Smile:
you are not the first.....we lost £5k after just 6 months on our first van, like you we realised it was just too small with no lounge area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours is a CI too , ( mizar GTL living top class 2006 ) but we were told it was the top end model of CI's at the time regards fixtures and fittings ,very solid cupboards , fully winterized , webasto etc.

Plenty lounging about space too , bunks , king size luton bed , L shape lounge and another bench the other side too. We got it right 1st time as we'd had caravans and knew what layout suited us.
You do need the slob space on wet dark evenings thats for sure.
They have come down a bit since we bought ours 2009 but not much.
I think they tend to get to a level then stick for a bit.
The new version doesnt have the same spec or layout either. So we plan on keeping ours for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
I just knew it :winky:

We had a CI as our first van although not that model. Really liked it, and great value for money. Can be prone to water ingress, (what aint) so will need a good look :thumb:

expect to lose money on vans , its par for the course unless your a dealer or prepared to sell privately. Did you get your shower fixed/?

Thanks for that - yeh expected to lose money and cant be bothered with the hassle of selling privately and then not being able to find what we want. :Smile:

Did get the shower fixed thanks, they fixed it free of charge and did a couple of other small jobs too, thanks to Family travel centre for that. Went to local rally at weekend and weather appalling so ended up decorating for our daughter who was only 7 miles away. Shame we cant make the bring and buy as we are away.

Going to look at van on friday, it has got 60,000 on clock and is '56' plate, anything to be wary of in respect to this?

Cheers :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Seems fairly high on the mileage for its age. Make sure all its maintenance is up to date, and (it appears around changeover year) make sure the dual mass has been done if fitted - it might have the older solid, but do check!!

Cambelt/tensioners/water pump should all have been done by now - if not may indicate poor servicing. really check the service records. Also check when its' last reseal was done - bodies flex, and after 60k it should have had a reseal to stop and chance of damp. Especially with the CI brand.

Never owned one myself, I have loked at quite a few but they do not age well, and silly things like the front seats being the basic van seats put me off, so I always avoided them.

Whatever you do, make sure it is VERY cheap, as reseale will be appalling on something with that mileage and that make.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
VW transporter conversion
Exp
4 years
We purchased a Cariocca 644 (05 Plate) with 13,000 miles on clock from eBay on a 'but it now' for £14,500 as our first van.

It looked like the layout we wanted (fixed double bed etc), but after a year of use and 1,000 miles and probably another £1000 spent on it (we had a problem with the electrics) we traded it in against a brand new Elddis Autoquest 145 as we decided we needed the rear u-shaped lounge for them rainy days.

We compromised on the comfy fixed bed and outside storage lockers, but the dealership gave us £17,500 trade-in and as subsequently sold it on for £23,000. We were lucky, but the Cariocca was good entry level van, fixture & fittings did not look cheap, the j-Rail 2.0 litre Fiat Engine was more than adequate and it served us well as our first van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back