Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Can any computer buff help me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use an external hard drive to store all my files. Everything has been working fine until a couple of days ago. Now when I try to access the files on my hard drive Windows explorer closes down and I can't access my files.

Please tell me what I can do?

Norman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it was just a thought Norman......have you tried plugging it into a different USB port.

one port on my lappy doesnt appear to have full functionality for some reason.

sorry cant be any further help.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Try using a different usb connection cable betwen the two...does the external HD need power? and is it on?

Try it on a different computer/laptop...

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Have you tried re-booting your computer? :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
it was just a thought Norman......have you tried plugging it into a different USB port.

one port on my lappy doesnt appear to have full functionality for some reason.

sorry cant be any further help.

Thanks, I tried that - it made no difference.

Norman

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Try using a different usb connection cable betwen the two...does the external HD need power? and is it on?

Try it on a different computer/laptop...

Tried the first options and it makes no difference.

Have tried on my netbook and it works fine.
the problem is clearly in my computer.

Norman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tried the first options and it makes no difference.

Have tried on my netbook and it works fine.
the problem is clearly in my computer.

Norman

try a system restore to an earlier date......only needs to be a few days back.

all programs > accessories > System Tools > system restore

that may repair any corrupted/missing OS files on your computer.

if that works then undo the restore and the repaired files should stay put.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it still works on another computer then Pappajohn's advice is definitely worth following.

If it fails on all computers, don't despair. I've used this software before now and it works fine.

Basically you download it for nothing, scan the duff drive, and see if it finds anything. If it does you pay online and buy the software, which you can use as many times as you like.

It can resurrect data from reformatted drives - it's pretty powerful.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
try a system restore to an earlier date......only needs to be a few days back.

all programs > accessories > System Tools > system restore

that may repair any corrupted/missing OS files on your computer.

if that works then undo the restore and the repaired files should stay put.

Thanks papjohn - whilst thinking what I might do I came to the same conclusion and it fixed the problem just fie.

Many thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Norman

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you've tried the system restore option above and still got nowhere, then there are four options I can think of:

1. Try plugging the disk in, wait for Windoze to see it and then go to 'device manager'. Point at 'My computer', right click, take the 'manage' option, then open 'device manager' under 'System Tools'.
Look under Disk Drives and you should find the external drive. Point at the drive, right click and take the uninstall option. Unplug the drive, then REBOOT the lappy TWICE letting Windows load fully and sign in each time. Only then reconnect the drive and it should then reinstall and be OK.
2. Check that the disk is getting enough power. Some need the power output from two USB ports.
3. If still causing trouble, then look in Disk Management as in step 1. to check that its not mapping to a drive letter something else is, or has used. If so, right click it and change the drive letter.
4. If all that fails, look in Event Viewer as in step 1. and look under System and application logs for the time the error last occurred to see if it logs any errors. If so, you could search for the error code or post the details here.

Good luck ..... Robin

EDIT: Just read the reply you made while I was typing my reply. Good news. :)

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
If you've tried the system restore option above and still got nowhere, then there are four options I can think of:

1. Try plugging the disk in, wait for Windoze to see it and then go to 'device manager'. Point at 'My computer', right click, take the 'manage' option, then open 'device manager' under 'System Tools'.
Look under Disk Drives and you should find the external drive. Point at the drive, right click and take the uninstall option. Unplug the drive, then REBOOT the lappy TWICE letting Windows load fully and sign in each time. Only then reconnect the drive and it should then reinstall and be OK.
2. Check that the disk is getting enough power. Some need the power output from two USB ports.
3. If still causing trouble, then look in Disk Management as in step 1. to check that its not mapping to a drive letter something else is, or has used. If so, right click it and change the drive letter.
4. If all that fails, look in Event Viewer as in step 1. and look under System and application logs for the time the error last occurred to see if it logs any errors. If so, you could search for the error code or post the details here.

Good luck ..... Robin

EDIT: Just read the reply you made while I was typing my reply. Good news. :)

Robin,
Thanks for your advice - the system restore option worked brilliantly and we are now all sytems go. I think I will use this option first for any future spasmodic problems I have.

Norman

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
VW transporter conversion
Exp
4 years
When you plug the external hard disk into the USB drive, does the computer recognise the drive. Try a different USB port and the computer may try and download the drivers again.
Another thing to try, is instead of double clicking the drive letter, try right clicking the mouse on the drive and select open. What operating system you using? If your PC is connected to the internet, with your assistance and authority, I can remote onto it and take a look at it. Oh by the way I am a microsoft developer. If you need further help, send me a personal message.

Sorry just seen that your problem has now been fixed. But if you do need further help, please contact me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back