Solar panels vs generators. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was expecting to have to drag my generator out today. Just checked the nasa meter and I am only down 140AH after 4 days off hookup. The panels are putting in 2.5amp even in this weather....

On current usage rates I reckon I can go till tuesday. But I will be driving on monday which should put a chunk back in.

It's the first time since I have had all the solar panels on that I have been off hookup for any length of time as the last six months I was at mothers looking after her after her op... I have been a little bit more careful than usual for example I switch the laptop off when I go out :whatthe: but other than that business as usual. Heating on 24/7, lights on as needed and compressor fridge doing it's thing....

I think come the nicer weather the solar panels will hold their own.

I have come to the conclusion that solar panels are brilliant but they are a stay extender nothing more... They will probably reduce my generator usage from on average two hours or so a day to 3 hours every 4 to 5 days in this weather.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Give over Gromet. Have not had hookup or started a genny in anger for years. The last trip was 4 months long using just solar and was never short of lecky. You being a fulltimer should know better than wind the genny owners up. :RollEyes:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
What heating do you use 24/7 Karl?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if i need heating in mine i use a catalytic heater . works fine .
lights= gas ,cooker= gas . fridge 240v through inverter. water =instantanious gas boiler.
solar works . but doesnt work a welder so big genny needed there.

louwil

Free Member
Dec 24, 2011
mansfield
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Quiestion

What size panels have you got has I am looking to fit one or two 65watt on the roof but don,t know what amps I will get in winter

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not a wind up. It's my first time off hookup as a full timer trying to rely on solar panels. I was genuinely surprised by how much difference it made in these conditions...

Heating is a Truma C4002 boiler/heater. The fridge pulls 5amps when it is active the laptop pulls up to 6amps. I saw the meter indicating a 14amp drain last night with everything running....

I use my laptop a lot as it is how I make a living so 12v power for me is essential...

Just went to get one of those small tents for my genny and they had run out:Angry:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What size panels have you got has I am looking to fit one or two 65watt on the roof but don,t know what amps I will get in winter

I have 3 x 80watt panels. you will get nowt out of them in winter....

80 watt panels are the best price per watt at the moment at around £100 each.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have 4x80w panels. Very lucky to get 5A in the winter unless it is a very sunny day but enough to keep the batteries up to the mark when the vans in storage. Spring and Autumn up to 15A on a reasonable day and 20A plus in the summer in the middle part of the day.

Of course the problem with solar is that you get most power when you need it least, but fine for 3 seasons and just need EHU or genny for the 4th. Even so in winter I can easily survive a long weekend on solar only (2x125Ah batteries), and the batteries can then recharge on solar over the next week or so while not using the van. (not helpful to fulltimers though)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
strange i find winter is when i get the most out of my panels
its the uk summer i find that as the short days and clouds .hee hee.
usually i never have hook up in winter.
must be different in spain or morocco, ha ha .

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure what make of solar panels those of you that have problems with not keeping your batteries charged have, but have always used BP with no problem. These charging wet cell batteries seem to do the trick for me. I did once try a cheaper panel on my VW but it did not do as well as the BP ones. Maybe its another case of you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Am not sure what make of solar panels those of you that have problems with not keeping your batteries charged have, but have always used BP with no problem. These charging wet cell batteries seem to do the trick for me. I did once try a cheaper panel on my VW but it did not do as well as the BP ones. Maybe its another case of you get what you pay for.

Sorry but I disagree with this:Sad:, 80watt is 80watt. The efficiency may be a bit lower on the cheaper panels but these panels will be slightly bigger and give 80 watts still.

The construction of a solar panel is pretty much standardised now.
Its simply a layer of EVA on the glass, then the strings of solar cells, then another layer of EVA then a layer of Tedlar. This is then vacuum pressed in an oven to set it. The silicon wafers are produced to a standard as well.

BP don't actually make solar panels anymore as far as I know...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bp make panels
they are made by tata bp .solar india.ltd.
in bangalore. had some from them only two years ago.
i have three of them on my trailer roof.
the other 3 are solarelec .made in italy .
can say the new ones are just a bit more efficient but it could also be down to the age of the first 3.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats interesting .might have to give them a ring in the week and find out if india is still making them. a friend brought in a couple of pallet loads in 2010 . took a while to sell them and as prices have dropped he deemed it not worth it. its ok if you are bringing in a container load the transport cost is minimal on each panel then.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
170AH down. will be 200AH down by the time I get up I reckon...

Tomorrow is definately a genny day as I don't like it going below 70%... 60% is the lowest I will let it go at an absolute minimum.

Not looking forward to doing that as it is lacing it down and the wind is pushing it sideways:Doh: Should have done it today whilst the weather was still almost tolerable:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
extreme-solar-powered-rv-by-radven.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi they have in fact been around along time . there as been adverts and views of them for years in landrover mags . its really gust a motor fitted to an alternator.thjey have boon on ebay for awhile .

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i thought that an alternator wouldn't charge a flat battery as it needs a voltage to get it generating.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Final Peterborough report on solar panels.

If we get weather like on sunday solar panels a bloody useless.... I was on the margins of surviving over night without going below 60% so started the Genny on Sunday. Then would you believe it. The day I am going back to hookup the sun came out full blast and was putting in 14 amps.........

Do I rate solar panels still after the first use in anger... Yes, definitely. I would have had the generator out everyday without them. I treat it as battery life extender.

In better weather though I know I will not need my genny at all. If we had weather like today I wouldn't touch the genny..:thumb:

I also seem to have developed an immunity to the noise generators make. I had it right next to the window I work at and it didn't bother me. I barely heard next door neighbours generator. Having said that it may have been different if it was running after 6-7pm:winky::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back