care home fees (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Anyone out there had any experience of reclaiming care home fees, which solicitor to use, do we go for a no win no fee arrangment or attempt it our selves etc.
My Mum was in a care home and latterly a nursing home from 2004 until she died in 2010. We had to pay between £400 to £600 per week for nearly six years and understand we may be able to reclaim some of this money back if we register before September of this year.
Any comments or sensible suggestions welcomed .

thanks

dave & carol

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
In what circumstances can you reclaim any money? We in same position,£ 580 per week plus nail cutting,hair etc. Before the authorities come up with the a mount paid they do an assessment,my solicitor said the assessment was fair and we wouldnt be able to claim anything,including the 20,000 i spent on her house whilst she in hospital,they put a charge on the house. % yrs down the line the house is wrecked,been burgled so many times,theyve taken everything,every wire,fusebox,plumbing,som floorboards,lead,welsh slates etc...breaks yr heart it does.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think you would need to explain on what basis you think you can recover anything.

I don't think you will find a solicitor prepared to do a no win no fee unless it's a pretty dead cert.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maxsdad
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
In what circumstances can you reclaim any money? We in same position,£ 580 per week plus nail cutting,hair etc. Before the authorities come up with the a mount paid they do an assessment,my solicitor said the assessment was fair and we wouldnt be able to claim anything,including the 20,000 i spent on her house whilst she in hospital,they put a charge on the house. % yrs down the line the house is wrecked,been burgled so many times,theyve taken everything,every wire,fusebox,plumbing,som floorboards,lead,welsh slates etc...breaks yr heart it does.

Well its early days yet but according to an article in the DAILY MAIL on wednesday you can claim back fees if you can prove that full time nursing care was required. Apparantly this goes back to a few recent court cases where people where succesfull in winning the fees. If you google care home fees there are several firms of solicitors [or make out to be solicitors] offering to take up your case.
Sorry to hear about your experience with the property we rented out mums house down in Corwall and it got wrecked as well .

dave

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Try Googling 'reclaiming care home fees' there's a fair bit of info to be found-none of it very encouraging I'm afraid.
With my aunt I tackled the problem from the other end and managed to overturn the decision to move her from a hospital into a care home.

Good luck,

Mike.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .my brother and i fought for the care with my mum and dad .
we used the mental health aspect for my dad .the medical needs for my mum , we won.
there is a book by streetwise publishing that does a good job of helping . if you need help pm me . it took 2yrs of hassle to win . the whole of the primary care trust down here are untruthfull. we never paid . i work on once you start paying its hard to get it back . let them hassle you for the money.
if anyone as a mental problem .even alzimhers .or a medical needs then care is free.
but do pm ,me if you need more . we did use a solicitor in the end but only as my brother want it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back