Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Was thinking of getting am underslung LPG tank fitted to my Hymer B564. Gasit seem to have quite good prices, but don't know what size of tank to fit (I am not doing it...) Is there anyone with a Hymer (not double floor) who has had one fitted ?

Shirl

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have an 85 litre tank on our 1992 Hymer S700.

It is under the water tank on the drivers side.

John

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fit the biggest you can-it will be dictated by available space.
Ours is only 40ltrs and we've just used 21 ltrs spending 1 mth at Marjal and one mth touring up through France

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As previously mentioned, it makes sense to get the biggest that will fit. Bear in mind that a 60L tank at 80% fill (max) is 48L which is roughly 24kg, more or less the same as two large calor bottles (26kg), so not as much as it sounds.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
As previously mentioned, it makes sense to get the biggest that will fit. Bear in mind that a 60L tank at 80% fill (max) is 48L which is roughly 24kg, more or less the same as two large calor bottles (26kg), so not as much as it sounds.

Actually,although the filler pump should cut out at 80% I have frequently found out,by crawling underneath and looking at the gauge on the actual tank,that it has filled to 95% ::bigsmile:

Mike

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Actually,although the filler pump should cut out at 80% I have frequently found out,by crawling underneath and looking at the gauge on the actual tank,that it has filled to 95% ::bigsmile:

Mike

I have a 68 litre tank and according to the information book, it only fills to 80%, but the gauge itself will read 'full'.

Craig

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
We have a 40 ltr tank fitted it roughly has the weight of the two calor bottles, we had it fitted nicely between the chassis and the lower fairing have the remote truma valve fitted and the internal led gauge.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
We have a 40 ltr tank fitted it roughly has the weight of the two calor bottles, we had it fitted nicely between the chassis and the lower fairing have the remote truma valve fitted and the internal led gauge.

Did you have it fitted locally?

Shirl

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Regardless of what make van I would recommend you talk to Chris at Autogas2000near Thirsk .
We had one fitted recently and he will give you really good advice and service .
Brian

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
will do...how long did the fitting take?

Shirl

About half a day ...and they will run you into Thirsk We while it is being fitted recently.
We have kept the original system in place so we can still use Calor cylinders as well if needs be.
Brian
ps sorry about the spurious words but posting on my phone

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gasit have been good with me, not got a fixed tank on this but it is on the cards for the next one.

As others have said go with the biggest you can afford/fit. But bear in mind if you use the channel tunnel there is a limit. I seem to remember it is 47KG max which I think is 90 odd liters.

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Don't suppose anyone knows of a company that fits in the south I've been talking to gasit so know what i want but would like to find a fitter closer to home

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Mike

Your tank must be fitted incorrectly. The gauge should show no more than 80% when full. The cut-off is a float and if it is not level it will not cut off at the correct point.

When did you last have the installation checked. It is now recomended that tanks are inspected annually. When ours was last checked it needed a new non-return valve to stop it leaking back to the filler. That was at 5 years from installation. We now go to Autogas2000 at Carlton Minniott near Thirsk. Good night stop at the pub two door up the road.

Our 85 litre tank would take 68 litres 85x0.8 = 68. It did this until it was refitted after being serviced. Now the most we can get in is just over 60 litres The gauge says just under 80% when full It used to go onto the 80% mark before the service. I went back and they adjusted it as it was only showing 3 lights on the inside gauge even though it was cutting off as full. Now we get four lights but they go off within a day of filling up. That is 7 to 8 litres (3.5 to 4 kg) short on each fill. It is due again for another check so I will get them to sort it out.

The guy that fitted our first tank fitted a wrong type and the gauge didn't work on that one and we ran out of gas with the inside and tank gauge showing half a tank. This was an approved and certificated fitter that came with a recommendation from a Motorhome Magazine, not a cowboy. We had to return to the Forest of Dean from Newcastle upon Tyne to have the correct tank fitted.

Ours second tank of the correct type was again fitted incorrectly by the installer who was based in the Forest of Dean. The tank had not been corrosion coated at installation and the paint was comming off and it was starting to rust. It was also hanging on its securing straps instead of sitting on the mounting cradle. The straps are just to hold it in place and are not designed to take the weight of a full tank and they can corrode unseen.

We need to refill every 3 weeks full timing at this time of year, so it is not just a freek pump cutting off early. I keep accurate records of consumption.

John

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have put a 55 litre tank on my Iveco chassis and I had it fitted by an RV dealer with other work, much better that filling bottles and as long as it lasts a week maximum thats fine for me, so far I have done 2 x weekends and 1 x 6 days over Easter when we had the heater on a lot, it did drop from full on the inside panel fairly quickly but has stayed on 3 lights since.
It has freed up a locker which held 2 large bottles so great for me. Just got have have a go at filling it for the first time now:Sad:

Dave

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I thought of putting my leisure battery in the locker that would be free'd up as at the moment my leisure battery is sited behind the passenger seat in a battery box unsecured , and there is only room for 1 battery.

Shirl

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back