caxton card (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi All
Could you please help I have applied for a caxton fx card to use abroad.
Received a E-Mail back saying they want passport proof or utility bill documation
forwarded via a scanner or fax,we are very basic here with no fax no scanner.
I just wondered if any ideas or if anyone has had this happen to them.

Thanks Mike V

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Take a picture of the documents with a digital camera and email the pictures as attachments.

May need to experiment with the camera to make sure the documents are readable before sending - if the pictures are not good enough to read they may reject them.

But using a digital camera is a good alternative to a scanner for things like this.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Take a picture with you mobile phone and send it.might be enough for them to prove you are who you say you are.Worked for me on some occasions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Caxton fx card.
Wassat?
Is it like the cards I've seen in garages, post offices, etc. where you put a given number of shekels on as it suits you?
Can someone enlighten me?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Caxton fx card.
Wassat?
Is it like the cards I've seen in garages, post offices, etc. where you put a given number of shekels on as it suits you?

Hi John,

It is a prepaid credit card. We have a Euro one we used recently for France. You link it to a debit card which enables you to top it up as you need, then you can use it to pay for everything whilst abroad. You can even use it at a local cash point without charge as it is already in Euros.

More info here.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi John,

It is a prepaid credit card. We have a Euro one we used recently for France. You link it to a debit card which enables you to top it up as you need, then you can use it to pay for everything whilst abroad. You can even use it at a local cash point without charge as it is already in Euros.

More info here.

Thanks for that, all explained.
Good idea.
So..if your Caxton card is lost / nicked, you lose only the pennies loaded on it?
Also......
Management can only spend what's loaded on it?

Just thought...joint account. She can re load it herself.
Shit!

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Caxton fx card.
Wassat?

like a prepaid cash card that you use aboard like a debit card to the limit you loaded into the card and you can top it up if you need to. The theory is that you can load it up when the exchange rate is favourable and use it at later day
I think it is too much hazzle and always find using a Nationwide credit card gives the best exchange rate (no charge except drawing cash from ATM) or if one is old enough, a platinum credit card from Saga gives same benefit.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good idea.
So..if your Caxton card is lost / nicked, you lose only the pennies loaded on it?
Also......

Shit!

That correct John, we used on for the first time at easter on holiday with pablomc and found no problem with it at all.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Good idea.
Also......

Shit!

Me and the Mrs we have one each (£5 extra for the additional card) that loads from the same source. Like a Credit card if it is lost or stolen they refund any fraudulent transactions one proven.

We got one on Gerry's recommendation and can say very easy to use and manage. One thing to remember when you top it up it is Euros that you specify and not pounds.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We got one called Tuxedo through the C&CC.

We use it all the time but i am not sure its the best thing to use abroad. They harp on about saving on commision etc but they offer a pretty poor exchange rate when converting your £ to Euros.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Do not rely on it totally. It fails on motorways and some filling stations.

And a mate of mine had it repeatedly refused at Mediamarkt in Spain whilst it worked fine in all other shops.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you do not pay any charges with Caxton FX

like a prepaid cash card that you use aboard like a debit card to the limit you loaded into the card and you can top it up if you need to. The theory is that you can load it up when the exchange rate is favourable and use it at later day
I think it is too much hazzle and always find using a Nationwide credit card gives the best exchange rate (no charge except drawing cash from ATM) or if one is old enough, a platinum credit card from Saga gives same benefit.

You do not pay any charges on Caxton.. you can use it at an ATM or shop.. not wise to use it for tolls.. but we use it on the 24 garages in the middle of the night.. great item.. very useful... recommended

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Also......
Management can only spend what's loaded on it?!

Pennies !!

But we've proved you can't over-spend, it harmlessly embarrasses you ( which it does too often ) by just rejecting the transaction.

It's also a debit card so not as good protection as a CC.

OP
OP
V
Jan 23, 2012
taunton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi all
Thanks to all a result I took a couple of photo's and set them on to there
requested email so I hope all is well,
will take on board what the good advice from Bob And Brian
Thanks Again Mike

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi John,

Thinking of getting one for France/Portugal/Spain to avoid ATM charges. How do you top it up while there, from your debit card ?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi John,

Thinking of getting one for France/Portugal/Spain to avoid ATM charges. How do you top it up while there, from your debit card ?

Hi Timetraveller
You can go online if you get access and top it up from the bank account you have set up. Its very simple Paul even used his kindle to top his up. Just remember the min amount is 150 euros.
You can use it at atm something like 4 times a day but no more than 5 in 48hours but i can imagine why you would want to withdraw more than 5 times in 48 hours though i dont know

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Timetraveller
You can go online if you get access and top it up from the bank account you have set up. Its very simple Paul even used his kindle to top his up. Just remember the min amount is 150 euros.
You can use it at atm something like 4 times a day but no more than 5 in 48hours but i can imagine why you would want to withdraw more than 5 times in 48 hours though i dont know

Thanks, but don't do internet banking. Any other suggestions?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
No

Well its not really internet banking you need to set up an account for the money to be withdrawn from im sure caxton would do this for you. Then you only need to go online to load it you dont need to put any your bank details in it just say something like load card from authorized account no need to put details in.
Or you could just load it with loads of dosh before you go your allowed a max £7k i think that should last you a week or two:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hope this helps

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Timetraveller

No

Well its not really internet banking you need to set up an account for the money to be withdrawn from im sure caxton would do this for you. Then you only need to go online to load it you dont need to put any your bank details in it just say something like load card from authorized account no need to put details in.
Or you could just load it with loads of dosh before you go your allowed a max £7k i think that should last you a week or two:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Hope this helps

Right, got it now thanks:Doh: Not sure 7k will cover the Algarve golf though, SHMBO will have to caddy instead of playing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
well if i knew golf was involved id have offered to come and show you how to use the card:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back