LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
After recent threads about Adac can anyone confirm what this 200 euros recovery limit is ?Some people are implying (rightly or wrongly )that they will only pay 200 euros max towards getting me home if I broke down ? Does this mean they will only take me to the nearest garage if I broke down or do they take you home ? as happens with RAC etc,can somebody clarify please--- :winky: or better still has anybody broke down and been recovered home by them either in UK or from part of Europe--Thinking ahead if I broke down in Scotland or Cornwall would they bring us home to Yorkshire ?that has got to bust 200
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have had a few breakdowns with ADAC here in the UK and abroad. One was a wheel change in Lyon on an RV, no charge. Recovered in Spain with my VW to a garage were they fitted a new fuel line, as they said it was not allowed to do repairs at the side of the road, no charge. Recovered from M6 Coventry to Cheshire in a Volvo estate, no charge. None of these would have been huge bills but the cost of ADAC cover against the hastle I would have had made it worthwhile.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cheers Snowbird :thumb: more concerned that if I broke down (major) say in Scotland they would bring us home so I could get the van repaired by who we want.IE not have to pay through the nose ::bigsmile:I would sooner find out now before we broke down :winky:Last yr I got told wrong info off RAC
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Terry

you can download the ADAC handbook in English from our download section..

Link Removed

here is an extract, but better to peruse and satisfy yourself, I just had a quick look

Section 25 Towing
1.The protected vehicle is within the scope of Europe and is no longer driveable because of a breakdown, an accident or there was a theft, whether damaged or undamaged, recovered (not yet in foreign ownership).
2. We cover the costs of towing up to the total of €200. The cost of transporting luggage and
contents will be added up to a total of €200, if shipment with the vehicle is not possible.
3.Necessary backup and Toll charges will be accepted. Under backup charge is the cost
incurred to prevent further damage to the vehicle.
4. Costs for vehicles and their cargo, which were seized by police or have been impounded will not be covered.
5. The protection extends in Germany to all eligible drivers, where they do not already enjoy such protection as ADAC members

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There was a story floating around a few years ago about a German with a Merc motorhome that developed an electric problem in the engine management whilst on a site in Morocco. The Moroccans could not repair it at that time as they didn't have the diagnostic equipment to repair it. It was sat on site waiting for ADAC to recover it to mainland Europe which they eventually did, I watched as a low loader with Spanish plates took it away. It was at that time I became interested in ADAC and was about 12 years ago. Have been a member ever since and have never had a problem with them. With a large RV it was a godsend to me as simple jobs on a European camper like changing a wheel are a mammoth task on an RV.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well after reading it again I am not much wiser ::bigsmile:Section 30 says they recover home if no repair but other sections say 200 euros :Doh:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well after reading it again I am not much wiser ::bigsmile:Section 30 says they recover home if no repair but other sections say 200 euros :Doh:
terry
The way I see it is the 200 euros would cover a recovery to the nearest garage and if they could not repair it in a reasonable time they would recover it home. No breakdown cover will cover parts or a vast amount of labour charge.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The way I see it is the 200 euros would cover a recovery to the nearest garage and if they could not repair it in a reasonable time they would recover it home. No breakdown cover will cover parts or a vast amount of labour charge.

But will they recover it home ?I don't mind paying a nearby garage for a small simple job if it means carrying on with hols but engine blown etc, I want it back home ::bigsmile:
terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
But will they recover it home ?I don't mind paying a nearby garage for a small simple job if it means carrying on with hols but engine blown etc, I want it back home ::bigsmile:
terry
Best one to answer that is ADAC Terry. I would imagine that a blown engine would curtail your holiday so they would recover. But that's only my thoughts.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
After recent threads about Adac can anyone confirm what this 200 euros recovery limit is ?Some people are implying (rightly or wrongly )that they will only pay 200 euros max towards getting me home if I broke down ? Does this mean they will only take me to the nearest garage if I broke down or do they take you home ? as happens with RAC etc,can somebody clarify please--- :winky: or better still has anybody broke down and been recovered home by them either in UK or from part of Europe--Thinking ahead if I broke down in Scotland or Cornwall would they bring us home to Yorkshire ?that has got to bust 200
terry

Terry, I understand your confusion and the last thread, just like this one, does not seem to be answering the question. Will an unrepairable motorhome be shipped home if the cost is greater than 200 euros, which it most certainly would be.
Could I suggest you send a copy of the above direct to ADAC saying their written conditons are not making the matter clear. Then perhaps many more people like you and me would know the answer to what is after all a straightforward question.

Norman

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Section 30 Vehicle Recovery
1. The protected vehicle is within the scope of Europe and because of a breakdown or an accident can no longer be driven, it will be recovered subject to the following conditions:
a) the damage was assessed by a garage;
b) there is no total loss pursuant to Section 1, No. 2. The replacement value before delivery of administrative services us in Germany generally accepted valuation automotive systems found;
c) in case of damage in Germany the protected vehicle was not able to continue the journey the day after the damage;
d) for an incident abroad, the protected vehicle was so badly damaged that a repair
within a radius of 50 km from the damage within 3 working days is not feasible, and a parts shipment under Section 32 is not enough;
2. We transport the vehicle with luggage and cargo by a contractor from ADAC to a storage site at a repair workshop at your residence. The vehicle can also be repaired at your destination. It will be transported there, if there is no higher cost.
3. Where necessary, we ensure that your vehicle does not suffer damage being towed from Storage site from where the vehicle travels.
a) In Germany we will do the towing ourselves.
b) Abroad, we will act on your behalf and appoint a towing company. We will be reimbursed for the towing cost.
4. Necessary security fees and administrative services and toll charges are also covered through our organization.
5. If baggage and cargo cannot be transported together with the vehicle, we arrange for a separate transportation to your residence or destination and cover these costs to the value of rail freight.
6. The benefits are also provided when the protected vehicle is found after a theft, whether
damaged or undamaged, has not yet been transferred into foreign ownership and total damage is not available.

Terry,

From the ADAC terms and conditions....

Para 2 is the key point, no mention of a financial limit.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Section 30 Vehicle Recovery
1. The protected vehicle is within the scope of Europe and because of a breakdown or an accident can no longer be driven, it will be recovered subject to the following conditions:
a) the damage was assessed by a garage;
b) there is no total loss pursuant to Section 1, No. 2. The replacement value before delivery of administrative services us in Germany generally accepted valuation automotive systems found;
c) in case of damage in Germany the protected vehicle was not able to continue the journey the day after the damage;
d) for an incident abroad, the protected vehicle was so badly damaged that a repair
within a radius of 50 km from the damage within 3 working days is not feasible, and a parts shipment under Section 32 is not enough;
2. We transport the vehicle with luggage and cargo by a contractor from ADAC to a storage site at a repair workshop at your residence. The vehicle can also be repaired at your destination. [HI]It will be transported there, if there is no higher cost. [/HI]
3. Where necessary, we ensure that your vehicle does not suffer damage being towed from Storage site from where the vehicle travels.
a) In Germany we will do the towing ourselves.
b) Abroad, we will act on your behalf and appoint a towing company. We will be reimbursed for the towing cost.
4. Necessary security fees and administrative services and toll charges are also covered through our organization.
5. If baggage and cargo cannot be transported together with the vehicle, we arrange for a separate transportation to your residence or destination and cover these costs to the value of rail freight.
6. The benefits are also provided when the protected vehicle is found after a theft, whether
damaged or undamaged, has not yet been transferred into foreign ownership and total damage is not available.

Terry,

From the ADAC terms and conditions....

Para 2 is the key point, no mention of a financial limit.:thumb:

Part of the problem is the German/English translation.. I find it confusing ..
but I still read it as there being maximum cost of €200 for a tow ..

The man to give the definitive answer is Jock...

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
terry

hi terry hope this helps you i have undrlined and made bold the stuff that will interest you, also the 200 euros tow is to a local gge only for repaor if possible then unlimited recovery to your home or where you want it to go to gge, hope this helps mate Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

ADAC European and UK Breakdown Service.

This German Club offers an excellent service for Car/Caravan/motorhomes if you should have the unfortunate experience of breaking down in this country or anywhere in Europe.

When taking out Breakdown Cover you have to check so many things on the Policy especially if you are towing a Caravan. I will write down on this page all the advantages of joining ADAC and what it covers. * FOR THE EXACT COVER THAT ADAC PARTNER/PLUS INCLUDES Click on the last Link on this page below. It will come up in German but if you wait about half a minutes it will click itself and then come up in English.

Firstly the policy you have to take out is the Plus for one person or Partner Plus if you wish to cover yourself and Spouse or Partner living at one address. This also covers Children and Pets. The reason you need this Policy is because you are not resident in Germany. This Policy covers you if living in the UK or anywhere Worldwide.

The cost of this Service for 1 year is Plus. 79.50 Euro's Partner Plus. 98.70 Euro's

First of all it is you that is covered not your car this means your are covered by this Policy in any car you are driving at the time of breakdown or a passenger in anyone else's car irrespective of the age of the car.

If your carhome/motor breaks down in the UK you should ring this phone number toll free
bn
]0800-0289018[/COLOR]

n
the AA or RAC will come to your rescue, as they are partners of the ADAC in the UK. This is also the same in other countries, excluding Germany, in all of Europe they have a partner in those countries e.g.. Austria OAMTC. All the respective telephone numbers are given in your information pack, when joining ADAC.​

It is very easy to join ADAC first of all go to their Website:-www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/gast.aspx Read up about what it covers (to see it in English download Google Toolbar, which has Translate on it and set it German to English and then when you click on any foreign website, after a few seconds it will come up in English). Go to Plus cover and click on which you can read up on single person. Click on Partner Plus if you want to go for the Member, spouse/partner + children.

To contact ADAC email:- service@adac.de

To apply for Membership email:- service@gks.adac.de for an application form, ask for one that gives you the chance to pay by fax and has the place for you to give your Debit/Credit Card details in English. You cannot pay through transfer from your Bank to theirs as German Banks will not take the UK Bank codes which have a different amount of digits. If you ask the Bank to transfer it they will charge approx. £20. So by card is the best action. They will also give you the Number to /Fax to. I will list all the relevant telephone numbers I have at the end of this page.

Listed below are some of the items covered by ADAC Partner Plus.

1. Breakdown Covers any car you are driving + your spouse/partner. Car of any Age.

2. Caravans and Trailers are covered while attached to the car/motorhome for any problem Inc help with punctures and any part of the vehicle that fails, Single axle, a Twin axle is covered as long as axles are not more than a meter apart. That the vehicle is no more than 2.55 meters wide, 10 meters long and 3 meters in height. Permissible weight of up to 3.5 ton for cars and 7.5t for motorhomes.

3. The Partner Plus Package for €98.70 offers the following coverage Worldwide, except where stated otherwise.

Repatriation in case of illnesses or injury, by ADAC Flying Doctor Service, if necessary.

Travel expenses up to €512 to visit a close relative who has to remain in hospital at least 2 weeks while on holiday.

Repatriation of Children.

Repatriation of Pets.

Return transport of vehicle if owner himself is unable to drive back.

Cash for emergencies up to €500, including return transport in case of death.

Costs for interpreter up to €160 (worldwide except for Germany)

Shipping cost for eyeglasses and medication (worldwide except for Germany)

Additional costs up to €2600 for unplanned return back home.

65 Euros per person per night for up to 3 nights additional hotel expenses incurred as a result of a medical emergency.

Assistance to recover or replace travel documents (up to €260)

Up to €103 expenses for emergency transfer of funds.

Return transport of vehicle (valid only in Europe)

In case of breakdown, accident or theft of the member's car, car rental for the return journey home (up to €500) or up to 7 day's rental (up to €52 per day) while the repair is being carried out (Europe only).

Up to 3 nights hotel accommodation while the vehicle is being repaired, max € 65 per person per night (Europe only).

Breakdown assistance charges for up to €200 (Europe only).

Up to €200 towing and parking charges for a broken down vehicle. Cost for recovery of vehicle are covered in full (Europe only).

Up to €120 for replacement of a lost or defective car key while on holiday (Europe only).

Shipping costs for spare parts (all Europe except Germany).

Any import duties payable if vehicle is scrapped and related scrapping charges (all Europe, except Germany)

Other points are:-

If Caravan breaks down you will get service for it but not a rental caravan.

Covered full recovery of your car and caravan back to your home town if cannot be repaired in 3 days.

If you get recovery for your car they will pay for passengers repatriation by first class train tickets or economy air tickets. or rental for a car for 7 days.

If it is a relatively minor repair and does not need repatriation ADAC covers costs of up to 200 Euros for the repair or tow to the nearest garage.

ADAC is a club and it's partners in the UK are the AA and the RAC.

All contact numbers in Europe have English speaking staff. These numbers are listed in the Members Manual or on Card.

Fuel. If filling the car up with fuel in Germany at a Shell Garage, show your ADAC Membership Card and you will receive a 2% Discount off Bill. Every little helps.

Comments of other ADAC Members.

Below are a few comments
1. I have had ADAC for the last 13 years and used it once. Last year my local garage in the UK forgot to put oil in my transfer box when I actually got to Belgium near to Dinant the transfer box gave up. After initial panic and language problems with the Belgium (ADAC and AA equivalent) we were recovered to a nice Campsite nearby with the car going to a local dealer for repair. We were able to claim back money from ADAC for the days spent at the Campsite plus travel to the garage etc., ADAC do have English speakers just ask "sprecken sie English bitte". I pay €79. 50 a year for ADAC Plus and it covers me here in the UK. There are lots of benefits I cannot recommend them highly enough.

2. I am stationed in Germany and have been an ADAC Member for 5 years, I joined up when still in the UK and then found myself posted here. There is no age restriction on vehicles with ADAC Membership. I know that many UK organisations who only offer to repatriate vehicles up to the market value of the
vehicle. This is one of the reasons why ADAC has become popular with Brits over recent years is its excellent service, spread by word of mouth in particular by members of the VW Camper Clubs who have spent many thousands in restoring their pride and joy, these classic campers from the 60's and 70's would not be recovered by UK motoring organisations simply because of their age. ADAC have a large fleet of long distance vehicle transporters recovering Cars, Caravans, Motorhomes, Trailers and Motorbikes etc., from all over Europe and even parts of North Africa. ADAC are in the top five of most respected companies here in Germany and with 17 million members they are certainly doing something rights.

One big bonus with ADAC Plus membership is the provision of Worldwide air ambulance repatriation with full medical team all included in the membership fee bur please note that this does not include the cost of hospital in patient charges, it is just the aeromed back home that is covered. This could be a cost effective solution to many who are finding it difficult to obtain any worldwide personal repatriation cover.

3. ADAC coverage applies for as long as you are away from home. Trailers with no more than one axle are covered as long as they are hitched up to the towing vehicle. But don't worry if you have a twin axle caravan by German law a twin axle counts as a single axle as long as the center of the two axles is no more than one metre apart.

4. Was talking to a colleague yesterday who had had a major "undercarriage" problems on his caravan in Italy last year, he said ADAC were excellent from the initial call through to the vans recovery back to Germany. Interestingly today, I had stopped at an Autobahn Services and noticed a Caravan on an ADAC transporter, it had obviously been rear ended as well "wrapped up" to protect it from the elements, talking to the driver, who had picked it up in Denmark, he said that quite often he would recover solo caravans following accidents or major breakdown.

5. Another comment from UK Member is He was travelling through Italy had a major crisis when the towbar broke on my 3 week old van. He was covered by ADAC Plus Membership and said they were brilliant.

6. I spoke to ADAC and Aeromed is the service of the ADAC and they would have no problems flying into a UK Airport if you are a UK based Member. Obviously a majority of their flights are back to Germany and on the rare occasion they have to fly a member to another destination they do use their own fleet of ADAC Ambulance Jets so they say there is no extra cost say flying from Spain into London or Spain to Berlin. They say they will look after members wherever they are based. This is very impressive.

Another interesting webpage to look on is:- http://en.wikipedia.org.wiki/ADAC

**** This link of ADAC Cover, as mentioned at the beginning of this page, is very plain to read and is:- http://adac.de/mitgliedschaft/leistu...rcePageId=9496 When you have clicked on this link wait about half a minute and it will click over into the English Language.

This is where the ADAC emergency stations are and contact numbers (note USA yes even USA covered):

Bosnia 5)
b​

Bulgaria 6)​

b]0030 21 09 11 79 11[/COLOR]
b

Denmark (Vejle) 45 93 17 08
France (Lyon) 0825 800 822
Greece (Athens) 21 09 11 79 11
Italy (Monza) 039 210 41

Canada 1)
b1-888-222-1373[/COLOR]
b

Kosovo 5)
b]0038 513 44 06 77[/COLOR]
b​

Croatia (Zagreb) (01) 344 06 66​

Macedonia 2)
b](0038111) 333 11 11[/COLOR]
b

Montenegro 5)
b]003851 344 06 55[/COLOR]
b

Netherlands (Assen) 0592 39 05 60
Austria (Vienna) 01 2 51 20 60
Poland (Poznan) 061 831 98 88

Portugal 3)
b]0034 935 08 28 08[/COLOR]
b

Romania (Bucharest) (021) 2 23 45 25
Serbia (Belgrade) (011) 333 11 11
Slovak Republic 4) 004202 61 10 43 51/52

Slovenia 5)
b]003851 344 06 50[/COLOR]
b

Spain (Barcelona) 9 35 08 28 28
Czech. Republic (Prague) 261 10 43 51
Turkey (Istanbul) (0212) 2 88 71 90
Hungary (Budapest) (061) 3 45 17 17

USA (Orlando, FL)
b]1-888-222-1373[/COLOR]
b

Cyprus 6)
b]0030 21 09 11 79 11[/COLOR]
b

Here you will be assisted by the neighboring ADAC emergency stations (ANS):
1) ANS USA
2) ANS Serbia
3) ANS Spain
4) ANS Czech Republic
5) ANS Croatia
6) ANS Greece
[/COLOR]
Thank you very much for your communication. With this email I send you a application form an information in English.
Beside the tried and tested ADAC membership there is the ADACPlusMembership: it combines the traditional club membership with ADAC Euro-Schutzbrief.
Being an ADACPlusMember constitutes a major extension of services in Germany for you. Furthermore, we offer you financial safeguards in other European countries. In the event of illness and injury we will even protect you worldwide. The costs of medical treatment by a doctor or in a hospital on journeys, however, are not covered by the ADACPlusMembership.
The attractive service package of the ADACPlusMembership protects you and your spouse/partner when driving your own and also other party's vehicles in Germany and Europe-wide following a breakdown, accident and theft. In addition each other driver may claim the same services, when driving a vehicle that is registered in your or your spouse's name. With the following services we will help you, if the protected vehicle is no longer mobile owing to an accident or if it was stolen:
- Breakdown and accident assistance (Paragraf 23) to EUR 200.-
- Assistance with lost or defective car keys (Paragraf 24)
- Towing (Paragraf 25) up to EUR 200.-
- Off-road recovery (Paragraf 26)
- Accommodation costs after vehicle loss (Paragraf 27)
- Transfers after vehicle loss (Paragraf 28)
- Travel expenses after loss of driver (Paragraf 29)
- Vehicle transportation (Paragraf 30)
- Passenger transport 'Pick-up' (Paragraf 31)
- Spare parts despatch (Paragraf 32)
- Vehicle customs clearance and scrapping (Paragraf 33)
The person-related PlusServices following illness and injury are even provided to you, your spouse/partner and your minor children on journeys worldwide, regardless of the means of transport chosen. The PlusServices following illness and injury include:
- Medical repatriation (Paragraf 12)
- Accommodation expenses (Paragraf 13)
- Hospital visit (Paragraf 14)
- Escort service for children (Paragraf 15)
- Non-scheduled return (Paragraf 16)
- Assistance in special emergencies (Paragraf 17)
- Repatriation of pets (Paragraf 18)
- Medication and spectacles despatch (Paragraf 19)
- Assistance with the loss of travel documents (Paragraf 20)
- Interpreters service (Paragraf 21)
- Vehicle recovery in the event of vehicle loss in Europe
(Paragraf 22)
- Credit services
The comprehensive safety of the ADACPlusMembership is available to you for an annual fee of EUR 79,50. As your wife is included in the ADACPlusCover, she would not need the associate membership.
You could cancel the membership by post or fax three month before the membership renews.
The ADACPlusMembership protects all vehicles regardless of the vehicle type, which do not exceed the following measures and dimensions:
Max. Vehicle length 10,- m
Max. Total length 2,55 m
Max. Total height 3,- m Motorcaravans max. 3,20 m
Max. Admissible total weight 3,50 t Motorcaravans max. 7,50 t
Max. Number of persons (incl. Driver) 9 persons
The insurance covers free of charge the towed one-axle trailer which includes the above mentioned dimensions and weights (including cargo). Trailers whose axles are less than 1 m apart are regarded as one-axle trailers.
For motorhomes exceeding the defined maximum dimensions, the following benefits shall be excluded:
- Off-road recovery (Paragraf 26)
- Vehicle transportation (Paragraf 30)
- Passenger transport 'Pick-up' (Paragraf 31)
- Vehicle customs clearance and scrapping (Paragraf 33)
Direct debit is only possible from a German bank account. Should you have a German account, would you please provide us with the account details. Alternatively, choose one of the following options to pay your membership fee:
- Euro bank transfer (in the European Union): the bank charges for such a bank transfer will not be higher than for a domestic bank transfer. Forms for Euro bank transfers are available from your bank. Please make sure to state the BIC (SWIFT) and IBAN codes as well as your membership number and the reason for the payment.
BIC (SWIFT code) of Bayerische Landesbank Muenchen: BYLADEMM
IBAN of our accounts: DE19 7005 0000 0004 0558 30

- credit card (VISA or MasterCard): if you opt for credit card payment please provide us with your credit card details. Complete the reply form below and mail it to us or fax it to
+​
49 89 7676 4355[/COLOR]
b​
.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Membership number.:
Debit the ADAC membership dues to my credit card:
Amount:
Credit card no.:
3-digit card verification number (in the signature box):
Expiry date:
Name of card holder:
Date, signature of card holder:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not hesitate to contact us for any questions that arise.
Yours sincerely,
Stefanie Schleifer
Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club e.V. (ADAC e.V.)
Mitgliederservice (MBE)
Mitgliedschaft + Versicherungen

Tel.:
b089 7676 2636[/COLOR]
b

Fax: 089 7676 2332
http://www.adac.de/impressum[/COLOR]

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
It's so simple: 200 euros covers tow/transport to garage up to 50 miles away. If not repairable vehicle will be repatriated, costs covered up to value of MH. :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's so simple: 200 euros covers tow/transport to garage up to 50 miles away. If not repairable vehicle will be repatriated, costs covered up to value of MH. :Doh:

simple, but expensive, it's cost Jock €500 to get a tow :Doh:

Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
simple, but expensive, it's cost Jock €500 to get a tow :Doh:

Broken Link Removed

Would that be to get him off a French motorway Jim. If so he can be reimbursed from ADAC. No breakdown cover will cover you on a French motorway.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Would that be to get him off a French motorway Jim. If so he can be reimbursed from ADAC. No breakdown cover will cover you on a French motorway.

no. it wasn't Dave ..

we were on the Aire at Narbonne Plage, and not on the French Autoroute, where we would have expected to pay for recovery and claim it back.

Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just had a thought about this. As some of you will remember last year I was on route to the Newark show in my old Tiffin and just before Newark as I was coming down the hill I had a total brake fail. One of the vented disks on the front had separated.
I rang ADAC after changing my underwear and was told they would send a lowloader to collect me and take me home to Congleton about 110 miles at there expence as there was no way they could get parts immediatly on a Friday afternoon for a 20 year old American RV. The only problem was they did not have a lowloader available until late in the evening and if I could sort my own out they would pay.
After ringing Dave RV at Cannock and finding a reconditioned brake disk I phoned a friend with a lowloader and he agreed to come and collect me and take me from Newark to Cannock. Dave was waiting and we set too and fixed the old girl up and I was back at the show ground on the same night.
I submitted the lowloader hire bill of £300 plus VAT to ADAC and was paid about 5 weeks later. Maybe I was lucky for once.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ahhh just rememberd another instance with ADAC. I had just got off a late night ferry in Dover with my Isuzu Bighorn and the red light came on. After examination the aircon pump casing had broken and let go of the fan belt. I rang ADAC and the AA came out and said they could do nothing with it and would have to recover it. They took me to a yard in Canterbury were I was given a hire car and sent on my way. They recovered my Jeep 2 days later to Cheshire,some 350 miles away and loaded the hire car onto the recovery truck and took it back to Dover. I took the aircon pump off and put a smaller fan belt on it. One hours job. No charge. Maybe they feel sorry for just me.

stig60

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Keighley
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
since 2010
I have had RAC cover for several years but it just become far too expensive.

I having been looking at ADAC and reading the posts it seems to offer a good service.

I am travelling to France and Germany this year for the first time in M/home

My question is to all you knowledgable funsters is:
Would you be without ADAC?

I have read Flatpackchicken's post (thanks for the info) and the only confusion seems to be around the €200 limit but to my reading this is for the local towing cost to the nearest garage, but could wrong. :Blush:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I am currently parked opposite Jock and Rita in Spain and will point this thread out to him.

What I do Know is that he wasnt on a motorway and had to cough up another 500 euro to be towed only a few miles.

Pat and Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Ooops

Just Noticed that Jock has actually reported his events in a thread started last night.

Pat and Neil

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have had RAC cover for several years but it just become far too expensive.

I having been looking at ADAC and reading the posts it seems to offer a good service.

I am travelling to France and Germany this year for the first time in M/home

My question is to all you knowledgable funsters is:
Would you be without ADAC?

I have read Flatpackchicken's post (thanks for the info) and the only confusion seems to be around the €200 limit but to my reading this is for the local towing cost to the nearest garage, but could wrong. :Blush:
"Would I be without ADAC cover" In a word no. Even though I also have cover with my insurers I still have ADAC as a backup. For the price its not worth being without.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There is very similar discussion on Piston Heads .. some interesting comments .

this guy wasn't well pleased..

I had a breakdown, so I called ADAC. ADAC use the AA as their partner in the UK. AA bloke rings me and says fine, we're coming to pick you up, but there's going to be a £140 charge. Why? Because ADAC only cover the first 200 Euros and my recovery was going to cost £140 more than that. So, given the fact I was (a) freezing, (b) it was late Saturday afternoon and © that evening I was taking a lady out seventy miles away, I told them I'd pay but would take it up with ADAC.

The AA bloke came and was a star. He couldn't understand why I had to pay, but we figured out that the journey was being logged as 180 miles. Why? Because that's the way ADAC operate with the AA. The clock started at the Darlington depot, he drove twenty miles to collect me, took me seventy miles home and then would do ninety on the way back He said it'd be not much more to join the AA at the roadside, but we dealt with it all through ADAC because I was sure it was a mistake.

It wasn't a mistake. There's a subtle difference between the words towing and transportation; well, at least ADAC think there is anyway. Simply, if they assist me in Germany, they'll repatriate the car totally F.O.C. because it's transportation. Seventy miles from home classifies as towing and thy only cover the first 200 Euros of that cost. So there you go; the story of how I was taken for 200 Euros. Not good, eh? Read on........

The recovery was October 2008 and I paid by debit card over the phone in the recovery wagon. I came home in February to find a letter from ADAC. Could I pay them £140, please? I rang them and eventually got through to an English speaker. Situation explained, I thought that was it. She was going to speak with the AA and everything's golden. Came home in March to find another letter in German, this time from a Solicitor. ADAC had passed a bad debt their way to collect and they now wanted close to £300 from me; the original £140 plus interest, plus charges, etc. I rang them and explained the situation, but they wouldn't speak with the AA. It was for me to sort everything out and get documentation from the AA to them. After a few choice comments, I ended up speaking to the AA and they were great in helping me out.

I'm now an AA member.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just to settle this ---I have rang ADAC (JUST) Barbara Lorenz on 0049 941 55673 :thumb: SPOKEN TO Barra :winky: not sure barbra :winky: SOUNDED HE RATHER THAN HER- they are phoning me tomorrow with a English person so there is no mistake in translation :thumb: This abnormality only happens in France where the recovery firms will not accept Adac 200 euro limit so you have to pay but get a bill and ADAC will reimburse you.The limit is set to get you to a garage where a repair can take place.IF the repair cannot be done quickly/easy then they will take you home or onward in the same way as AA or RAC. or they will fly you home (depending on distance) then recover your vehicle :thumb:They assure me there is no cost to the member other than in France which they reimburse.
I am hoping after speaking to English person in the morning that they will come onto the forum to clarify :thumb:AGAIN he reassures me no cost and it is your choice if it is a major breakdown or after a accident -home or repair-
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am sure like you lots of us would welcome clarification of the points you raised

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
FWIW, I had exactly this conversation with Barbara a couple of weeks ago when I took out my ADAC membership and felt reassured at the end of it.

Those of you who were aware of our problems in France last year will twig that after the slipperiness of Swinton Insurance, and the weeks it took to get The Rosabella home, not to mention the little surprises that they kept springing on us from the small print, I'd be pretty keen to get it right this time.

I'm satisfied, particularly after reading the booklet (I speak German and my best buddy is an English/German translator) that what it says on the tin is what I need to get me home if I have another disaster. :thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
FWIW, I had exactly this conversation with Barbara a couple of weeks ago when I took out my ADAC membership and felt reassured at the end of it.

Those of you who were aware of our problems in France last year will twig that after the slipperiness of Swinton Insurance, and the weeks it took to get The Rosabella home, not to mention the little surprises that they kept springing on us from the small print, I'd be pretty keen to get it right this time.

I'm satisfied, particularly after reading the booklet (I speak German and my best buddy is an English/German translator) that what it says on the tin is what I need to get me home if I have another disaster. :thumb:

Any more info on this saga ?
Also just for Adac members like me who simply took out the membership and filed everything away not really bothering how to get in touch with them other than the number on the card ::bigsmile:These numbers may prove useful so write them down now :Smile:0800 0289018 -UK- :thumb: 0049 89222222 sounds daft but the 00 is required for phoning them :Doh::Doh: also 01805101112
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back