Aire and Stellplatz books or guides (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Are there any good guide books on Aire and Stellplatz locations and what services are available etc, saw some today in the local camping shop although they were obviously not in English.

I assume they exist some where ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in fact its far better to wait till you get over there. yes they arent in english but far cheaper and it helps you learn the language looking up words in the dictionary. only a few quid over there.
also ask at all the tourist places they usually have nice local maps to give away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
in fact its far better to wait till you get over there. yes they arent in english but far cheaper and it helps you learn the language looking up words in the dictionary. only a few quid over there.
also ask at all the tourist places they usually have nice local maps to give away.[/QUOTE good advice Alan, we do the same wait till you get into france & germany at border crossings there's good news agents,:thumb:Alf.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The German 'bible' for stellplatz is the Bord Atlas published by Reisemobil International magazine. It is in two volumes, one for Germany, the other for the rest of Europe. All in German but it's quite easy to follow. You can also download a POI file from the website for your SatNav. The books are available in the UK (Vicarious amongst others) or buy when you get there.

http://www.bordatlas.de/

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
you will find that (in France ) there are soo many aires that you can plan your route, THEN see what aire to stay on.
We have been using an on-line site 'camping car aires' (in French) and just before we left France (couple of days ago) we bought a book the same name from a supermarket. (but that book does not have Co-Ords which we have come to use all the time:Sad:)
The on-line site can be downloaded (or bought on a stick or disc) for about 8€---but the instructions to down-load & pay are in French so you may need some help:Sad: We had Yodeli to help us:thumb:------------These cover all Europe--we used it in Portugal
Some aires are Free---some you pay a little---some you pay for water--some have electric--------some take tokens (jetons) some take €s coins----As far as we could work out, it is always free to dump black (toilet)-----in the many aires we used we never had to pay--except 2.25€ each to stop on a harbour, fantastic spot, well worth the money.------------we found that near the coast you usually are expected to pay.
Enjoy your trip:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We used the German book a couple of years back and couldn't understand a word in it but after a couple of days we got the hang of it and it became quite easy.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
you will find that (in France ) there are soo many aires that you can plan your route, THEN see what aire to stay on.
We have been using an on-line site 'camping car aires' (in French) and just before we left France (couple of days ago) we bought a book the same name from a supermarket. (but that book does not have Co-Ords which we have come to use all the time:Sad:)
The on-line site can be downloaded (or bought on a stick or disc) for about 8€---but the instructions to down-load & pay are in French so you may need some help:Sad: We had Yodeli to help us:thumb:------------These cover all Europe--we used it in Portugal
Some aires are Free---some you pay a little---some you pay for water--some have electric--------some take tokens (jetons) some take €s coins----As far as we could work out, it is always free to dump black (toilet)-----in the many aires we used we never had to pay--except 2.25€ each to stop on a harbour, fantastic spot, well worth the money.------------we found that near the coast you usually are expected to pay.
Enjoy your trip:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

That sounds good, French is not a problem. Will check those out and do some home work.

Thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think Sundowners may be referring to a site called Camping-Car Infos, but if not I still recommend it. It is my all-time favourite source for aires and, as mentioned, is available on a USB stick or downloadable file as well as live on-line.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Although the focus is on France (and it's in French) there are sostas / stellplatz for many other countries too. POI files also available for download. I would estimate that we use CC-Infos for about 80% of our location sourcing. :thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I think Sundowners may be referring to a site called Camping-Car Infos, but if not I still recommend it. It is my all-time favourite source for aires and, as mentioned, is available on a USB stick or downloadable file as well as live on-line.

Although the focus is on France (and it's in French) there are sostas / stellplatz for many other countries too. POI files also available for download. I would estimate that we use CC-Infos for about 80% of our location sourcing. :thumb:

That looks great, downloading it now

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Downloaded the mac/linux version, works well ! Will try it on the iPad as well

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
that is the site we were talking about--couldn't think of the exact name off-hand----thanks ----------------------------the advantage of the down-loaded version is that you don't have to have internet to check on available sites. But always remember that the aires are constantly changing----one we were going to stay on was (for two years) no longer accessable (height barrier) after quite a long drive to get to it on peninsula---that one was found in the current (now old) English ''French aires book''---there was a new alternative site, but at 7€ we gave it a miss:Sad: so had to check for another at the last minute, some are reported to have free water etc. but now you pay, the trick there is to use it when it's free, the next aire you may have to pay:Sad:-----but to be fair, the local council have had to pay to set-up and maintain these aires, so it is not unreasonable to pay A FAIR AMOUNT:thumb:-------------But being typical -tight -motorhomers--we prefer it gratis:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We like Campingcar infos too but the downloaded version does not include the maps you see when online. Can make it a little difficult to know where individual aires are when you just have the list of names. Nevertheless, still very useful alongside a map and worth 8 euros.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
that is the site we were talking about--couldn't think of the exact name off-hand----thanks ----------------------------the advantage of the down-loaded version is that you don't have to have internet to check on available sites. But always remember that the aires are constantly changing----one we were going to stay on was (for two years) no longer accessable (height barrier) after quite a long drive to get to it on peninsula---that one was found in the current (now old) English ''French aires book''---there was a new alternative site, but at 7€ we gave it a miss:Sad: so had to check for another at the last minute, some are reported to have free water etc. but now you pay, the trick there is to use it when it's free, the next aire you may have to pay:Sad:-----but to be fair, the local council have had to pay to set-up and maintain these aires, so it is not unreasonable to pay A FAIR AMOUNT:thumb:-------------But being typical -tight -motorhomers--we prefer it gratis:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Yep being playing about with the local version and it works very well and as you said off-line means you can use it any time, now to get it on the iPad !

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Downloaded the mac/linux version, works well ! Will try it on the iPad as well

I run the Pro Mobil + ap on my iPad. It is the paid version as all the nformation can be accessed of line, including maps, photos of many of the Stellplatz. Uses gps to fix tour position then searches round fr all available Stellplatz. Can also do a manual search whereby you put in the twin and search round it. Think it was £3.99, much cheaper than the book and easier to use IMHO.
Search for "Mobil life +" it is an iPhone ap but runs on the iPad too.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I run the Pro Mobil + ap on my iPad. It is the paid version as all the nformation can be accessed of line, including maps, photos of many of the Stellplatz. Uses gps to fix tour position then searches round fr all available Stellplatz. Can also do a manual search whereby you put in the twin and search round it. Think it was £3.99, much cheaper than the book and easier to use IMHO.
Search for "Mobil life +" it is an iPhone ap but runs on the iPad too.

Had a good search for it but can't find either of them:cry:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
ok found it on iTunes in Germany, not available here:Angry:

Managed to download it and it looks very cool indeed.

Thank you

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd agree that that the French Camping Car Infos site is well worth a look and their free SatNav POI file is great - we use it all the time.

My own more modest effort at an aire guide (16 larger Aires mainly in western France, but covered in detail) can be found by clicking the link in my signature below. The guide should be expanded by the end of this year.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Ridgeway, a good site for info on french aires is motorhomingfrance.co.uk £12 membership for a year but great info with pictures etc. Terry

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
great info coming in on these posts, very much appreciated !!!

Thank you

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Just wanted to give some feed back on this site/download. I downloaded the Mac version and have it on my laptop so that we can use it when we're on route. Have to say that it's very nice indeed and gives me enough info, pictures etc in order to decide where to stay for a night. With 4 children and 2 dogs in tow planning is always key and this really helps. Used it to plan this summers various outings and up to now the data has been very good indeed.

Great tool and well worth the money

Dave Sussex

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
sussex
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Campingcar infos MAPS

Hi
I am new to this so sorry befor I start.

Points of interest (pushpins for Microsoft autorout) this is where the Aires are. and can be used on Tomtom or autoroute can be downloaded from the Campingcar infos site (was free when I did it) Look under the heading Telechargment.

What I do is download the pushpins and add to microsoft autorout on my laptop, plug in a USB GPS about £20 E Bay and use this to find my way around the Aires in france.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back