Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Hi all,
fed up struggling with TV despite a good aerial and booster can anybody reccommend a good auto dome set up, just the dome ?

I see many types some with just one cable for signal/power but would rather hear from somebody who has bought one before parting with some hard earned.

Thanks,
Paul

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Satellites

After looking at all sorts over the past 15 months and talking to many people who gave advice, obviously they have their own preferences, we went for the Avtex AQF431 (portable)
We looked at crank-ups, tripods and the Maxview dome and in the end decided not to have the installation costs involved with domes and the crank-ups. We didn't want to pay someone to drill into the van and then have to pay to remove it if we ever sold the van. So if and when we change our current van, we will take the satellite with us.
I suppose there are pros and cons for every type and everyone will have their favourites. Good luck:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I use a maxview on a tripod, easy enough to set up, but some times the constant pluging/unpluging cause bad conections on the cable from dish to van exteriour input. I was going to go for a dome myself this year, but at around £1200 for a twin lnb unit Im putting it off for a while

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks peoples, the Avtex i have not seen, i like that.

I had a good long look at tripods and have no issues at all with them just bieng a tad lazy the dome seemed best for us.

Like the above im not thrilled at having more holes in the roof for the mounting never mind the aeriel/power but could happily remove and fill with white silicone if/when we sold and chances are by that time the tech. will have moved on.

Ones i'm impressed with are the Glomex and Camos..........so far.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had a Camos 40 for over two years. I am very happy with it and it requires only one small hole to take the cable (via a watertight gland). The advantage of this model is that once it has locked onto the satellite, you can turn off the power and just power the digibox and TV - the dome uses no power. RoadPro are the importers and they have now badged them as RoadPro domes. KVH Tracvision also have a very good reputation. A benefit of all domes is that they are not affected by strong winds, unlike most exposed dishes.
The only thing to be aware of is that a dome will not receive UK-aimed signals from Astra 2D as far south or east as a larger open dish. The Camos 40 'runs out' around northern Spain and central Germany. You can still get foreign language channels and some English news channels on Astra 1 though.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I have had a Camos 40 for over two years. I am very happy with it and it requires only one small hole to take the cable (via a watertight gland). The advantage of this model is that once it has locked onto the satellite, you can turn off the power and just power the digibox and TV - the dome uses no power. RoadPro are the importers and they have now badged them as RoadPro domes. KVH Tracvision also have a very good reputation. A benefit of all domes is that they are not affected by strong winds, unlike most exposed dishes.
The only thing to be aware of is that a dome will not receive UK-aimed signals from Astra 2D as far south or east as a larger open dish. The Camos 40 'runs out' around northern Spain and central Germany. You can still get foreign language channels and some English news channels on Astra 1 though.

Many thanks Philip,
possibly dumb question but i will receive all UK freeview channels on these devices ?
I will be using 90% in UK just to be clear.

Thanks

Paul

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Many thanks Philip,
possibly dumb question but i will receive all UK freeview channels on these devices ?

Thanks

Paul

you mean freesat, freeview is airel, freesat is dish/dome, both have simular but differant channels, I think you will be able to look them up here and here http://www.freesat.co.uk

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Many thanks Philip,

Thanks

Paul

The channels you will receive will depend on what receiver you use.

If you use a Sky Box you will only get the normal FTA UK Channels, (FTA is Free to Air, just slightly different from Freeview) plus whatever other channels you have if you have a Sky Contract (Sports etc). Remember the card will only give you your contract channels in the one box, so you may have to move it in and out of the house. If you have an old expired Sky card you can get all the Free Channels.

I have Sky Box, which I use if travelling abroad for Sports etc, but usually use one of these, (below) as I get my Sky Sports on my iPad in UK.

Link Removed

It is HD, very light, runs on 12V, uses only about 0.7A, has a magic eye for the remote, and can be retuned to the other satellites if you do venture further south. It receives all FTA channels as well as free HD channels so BBC, ITV's Ch 4 Ch 5 , news etc.

I used to use a normal Sky dish on a tripod, but got fed up of setting it up and taking id down, (especially if raining). Also the cables running outside would mean the connections occasionally needed re doing to get good signal.

I have recently had a dome fitted, it requires just the one cable entering through a gland. The dome is secured with adhesive, so no holes needed to be drilled in the roof, so I can move it easily to another van and just screw a blank cap on the gland entry.

The dome is a Roadpro (Camos). Just park up, push the button (no need to go out and set up the tripod, run the cable and find the signal etc.), 30 seconds later watch TV, you can then switch the power to the dome off so there is virtually no power drain.

Sorted...:thumb:

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The channels you will receive will depend on what receiver you use.

If you use a Sky Box you will only get the normal FTA UK Channels, (FTA is Free to Air, just slightly different from Freeview) plus whatever other channels you have if you have a Sky Contract (Sports etc). Remember the card will only give you your contract channels in the one box, so you may have to move it in and out of the house. If you have an old expired Sky card you can get all the Free Channels.

I have Sky Box, which I use if travelling abroad for Sports etc, but usually use one of these, (below) as I get my Sky Sports on my iPad in UK.

Link Removed

It is HD, very light, runs on 12V, uses only about 0.7A, has a magic eye for the remote, and can be retuned to the other satellites if you do venture further south. It receives all FTA channels as well as free HD channels so BBC, ITV's Ch 4 Ch 5 , news etc.

I used to use a normal Sky dish on a tripod, but got fed up of setting it up and taking id down, (especially if raining). Also the cables running outside would mean the connections occasionally needed re doing to get good signal.

I have recently had a dome fitted, it requires just the one cable entering through a gland. The dome is secured with adhesive, so no holes needed to be drilled in the roof, so I can move it easily to another van and just screw a blank cap on the gland entry.

The dome is a Roadpro (Camos). Just park up, push the button (no need to go out and set up the tripod, run the cable and find the signal etc.), 30 seconds later watch TV, you can then switch the power to the dome off so there is virtually no power drain.

Sorted...:thumb:

Cheers for this, most interesting.
I just sold my Sky box so was just going to get a suitable Freesat receiver but your gadget looks a very neat piece of kit.
Yes the Glomex one is just glued on, i would fit this type of thing myself anyway so am assured of a good job (contrary to what Mrs Boss says) and as you say is portable if so required.
The instant set up is what i want plus the thing looks neat when fitted and is easy to wipe clean.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have looked into domes several times and always been put off, not by the installation issues, but because I have spoken to several people who have them and they said getting a signal on a site with trees is hit and miss. if the trees are in the way, you cant just move the dish a few feet to get a signal if its in a fixed position. we prefer secluded sites with trees, so this is an issue to us

I will stick with my tripod and folding triax dish for now, which takes about 1 minute to set up. I dont get problems of it blowing over, as i hang 2 5 litre water containers in the centre at the bottom of the tripod using a bungee cord. was on a site at easter where the wind was damaging crank up dishes and blowing tripods over. mine stayed stable throughout and several other campers came and asked me how I managed to avoid it and susequently copied me.

Another benefit is if we are staying on a site for a few days, we can leave the dish setup and chained to our trailer when we drive offsite daily. When we return, we just plug back in and have an instant signal in within seconds of parking

Likewise, we take a sky box from home. We pay for an extra box at home for the bedroom, and take this with us. This gives us all the channels we get at home. Also got a freesat box for when out of range of the Astra cluster at 28* East.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We bought a globe sat dish off another funster when he bought new van. It is very easy to fit as the pole went in where our status was in the wardrobe. Here is a link below we have used this all over uk and most of France and surrounding countries even got a picture in italy.

Link Removed

It takes me about 5mins to get signal and i dont use a sat finder just the tv signal strength sign.

OP
OP
pvw10

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We bought a globe sat dish off another funster when he bought new van. It is very easy to fit as the pole went in where our status was in the wardrobe. Here is a link below we have used this all over uk and most of France and surrounding countries even got a picture in italy.

Link Removed

It takes me about 5mins to get signal and i dont use a sat finder just the tv signal strength sign.

Thats a pretty neat one, not seen that before and the price is very attractive.
Tell me, i have the pole in the wardrobe with an aerial whose name defeats me right now (Triangular shaped thing, maybe a Status ?) how does the thing seal in the pole plus what happens when driving ?
Many thanks:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tell me, i have the pole in the wardrobe with an aerial whose name defeats me right now (Triangular shaped thing, maybe a Status ?) how does the thing seal in the pole plus what happens when driving ?

The status 530 (triangular tv antenna on pole) seals through the roof with a rubber ring. when driving, you lower the pole and point the triangle into the wind for least resistance and turn the nut to lock in place

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We hade a dome fitted by Vanbitz in January along with an Avtex tv.

Absolutely excellent all round:thumb:

M1TCH

Free Member
May 15, 2011
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
If you get a camos pay the extra and get the detatchable feet so if you want to take the dome off its just a case of unbolting it leave the feet on the roof so no damage Gray.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

Hi It comes with the pole and fits similar to the one you have i got the guy at the local dealers to fit it for me just so i knew it would be seal properly and he charged me £40 so not that hard a job if thats all he charged. I think he said the pole was slightly wider than the status one or it might have been narrower lol so he fitted a blank plat over the hole the status was in then drill through that.

The pole/mast has 2 one for the angle and one for vertical up and down very simple and while in france at easter saw loads of vans with them on.

Any more info needed just ask

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We hade a dome fitted by Vanbitz in January along with an Avtex tv.

Absolutely excellent all round:thumb:

yes so did we KVH Tracvision....which most boats use........and judging by the ammount of rain in the midlands this week..thats just what you might need at Peterborough.

Nice simple system......just works....but in the heavy rain this week in Rutland the signal went.....but that happens in heavy downpours at home on the sky dish......Takes one minute to find the signal and then you are watching tv...........simple well made gear..big company backup...one of the biggest world wide.

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back