Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
.... it was to see our van winched onto a low-loader yesterday after it conked out. It was belching diesel out under the bonnet and started to judder, I suppose due to the interruption in the fuel supply. Thankfully, we were only half an hour from home after a 2 week visit to Scotland. We were told it might need a new pump (expensive) or have a broken pipe, in which case 4 will need to be renewed. I love our van and it was like seeing a lion with all it's teeth pulled out.

To cap it all, the fridge has stopped igniting on gas. Any clues? :cry::cry:

Ivy

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
in deed sad when it happens

.... it was to see our van winched onto a low-loader yesterday after it conked out. It was belching diesel out under the bonnet and started to judder, I suppose due to the interruption in the fuel supply. Thankfully, we were only half an hour from home after a 2 week visit to Scotland. We were told it might need a new pump (expensive) or have a broken pipe, in which case 4 will need to be renewed. I love our van and it was like seeing a lion with all it's teeth pulled out.

To cap it all, the fridge has stopped igniting on gas. Any clues? :cry::cry:

Ivy

In deed sad when it happens, let hope you are back on the road soon.

Bob

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to hear that,hope it's sorted soon-we came home from Dover with battery light flickering on and off.It was a bit worrying ::bigsmile:
It seems to be cable that has been rubbing and is now shorting-we are waiting to be told it's fixed sometime today so that we can get off to Peterborough in morn.

Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
sorry to hear the van is playing up ivy,but sandy will get it sorted:thumb:
if it is the pump try and sorse a recon pump,as it will be cheaper than a new one and good for 100.000 miles,pitty we live so far apart as i would have sorted it for you:Sad:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I know you would Chris. Thanks for the sympathy. I hope Fran's well. Poor Sandy has gone to bed for the day. He was so cold in the van on his own overnight, he's put the leccy blanket on and disappeared under the duvet. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Hiya Ivy It may be the thermocouple on the gas,mine is playin up at the mo so am going to try that

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh Ivy, sorry to hear that hope its sorted soon, and Sandy is on the mend quickly.

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks Carol. There's nothing wrong with him. He's just a wuss with a nancy like me to run around after him! :ROFLMAO:

Ivy

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Ivy, sorry to hear of your van breaking down, we hope you can get it sorted quickly. Give our best wishes to Sandy, he will soon be up and about I am sure.
See you soon,

Brisey & Pam.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I am abit worried now cos I got the same model Transitbut mine is a Clipper. Did you have any clue, how many miles has it done:Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad::Sad:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks Roger. You've given me hope that I will be able to feed the family this summer after all. I'm pleased (but it was quiet) to say that Sandy finally surfaced at 3pm and the cheeky monkey has done nothing but yawn since. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Feb 16, 2010
Newport, Gwent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2002(previously 25 years caravaning
Oh you poor thing Ivy, so sorry to hear your news. Hope you're OK and hope that we can see you again soon. - Perri x

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
which engine is it as i may have some parts to fix it cheap

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi both, sorry to learn of your lovely m/h being poorly, hope it is sorted soon and that it is not too expensive, on the bright side it could have occurred on the way home from Spain ...sorry
only trying to help you feel better

Look forward to seeing you 3 again

John n Kath x

:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
which engine is it as i may have some parts to fix it cheap

Thanks Andy. It's a Ford Transit 2.4 but I don't know how the garage would feel about that. I'll let you know when we have a diagnosis. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Doubtfull to be the pump, my money's on a broken injector pipe which will spray diesel everywhere and look a lot worse than it is. If someone says "PUMP" get a second opinion.:thumb:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks - that sounds better. There was certainly a lot of diesel, in fact, if it was blood, it would have been the jugular. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Be careful who you use to repair it. I had a company in Leeds ruin mi injector pump when doing the seals. Luckily I paid by credit card and they refunded me the money. Which garage are you using?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
as i am only in Skipton i would be happy to come and give it a look if you need a second opinion.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Sorry to hear the news Ivy but you must admit the old things been well worked lately what with Scotland straight after all that time at Marjal. Hope the van's soon on the road again as well! :winky:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi ivy i have found this just for a price reference and fitting should really be no more than an hour so get a couple of quotes before committing.

Link Removed

but i would also ring your local ford main dealer parts dept as the link may have inflated prices.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Firstly DO NOT PAY FOR REPAIR - fuel rail rupture is RECALL item on 03-06 (FIAT/CITROEN/PEUGEOT).

Secondly, weather has been bad, wet and windy - the ignitor will be damp, and this causes the ignitor to either not light, or continue to spark after lighting.

If you have the peep hole at the back of the fridge, check for a flame. Either way round, remove the rear cover and dry out the ignitor box, which will be a little black electrical box to the bottom left at the back of the fridge.

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING, just dry with a hairdryer or similar and it will work again!:thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Firstly DO NOT PAY FOR REPAIR - fuel rail rupture is RECALL item on 03-06 (FIAT/CITROEN/PEUGEOT).

Secondly, weather has been bad, wet and windy - the ignitor will be damp, and this causes the ignitor to either not light, or continue to spark after lighting.

If you have the peep hole at the back of the fridge, check for a flame. Either way round, remove the rear cover and dry out the ignitor box, which will be a little black electrical box to the bottom left at the back of the fridge.

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING, just dry with a hairdryer or similar and it will work again!:thumb:

Its a transit not a fiat

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Its a transit not a fiat

Darn, didn't realise that - well at lest it hasn't happened down here as our local dealer is a nightmare!

Transits do have a healthy recall list - most notable is the svp split charge systems for your transit owners, so have a look on vosa website!:thumb:

ARGOMAN

Free Member
Apr 23, 2012
YORK
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
SINCE 1988
hi ivy, just to make you feel your not on your own, yorkshire folk & scotland dont mix this year, easter we broke down in perth, it was only starter motor but as the merc is 25 yrs old they had trouble getting us one, so they fetched us home in a minibus at a cost of £1,000 & £1,500 for the low loader for the van & pop-up, glad we paid extra for recovery::bigsmile:, got home & cost me £10 + 4hrs work, they should of took me to buy the tools, but were back on road again & going to scarborough at weekend to make sure she`s ok.:Cool: or forgot wont need the sunglasses:ROFLMAO:.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It could be something as simple as a leak off pipe about£3 :thumb: fingers crossed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Good luck with it.

I know nothing about engines unfortunately. We had a big diesel leak in Spain last summer and that was just some clip in the fuel filter that failed.l

I did notice a trail of liquid which I was looking at whilst having a fag (as you do) but didn't smell the diesel.:Doh:

OP
OP
Loujess

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Thanks for all your kind interest. I'll let you know when we hear from the garage but I do hope you are right about the pipes. We have been over a lot of rough roads in Scotland and I'm sure that didn't help. Now where'a my toothbrush charger - oh yes - it's in the van. I'll soon have to go and visit it to collect some more belongings. ::bigsmile::thanks:
Ivy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure what chassis yours is on, but if its transit then there is every chance it is just a fractured pipe.. Really really common !!

Fridge
If the gas bottle is starting to get low that may well be all the trouble is :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back