Free Member
Dec 19, 2011
horsham
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, can anyone give me advice on the best generator to buy for motorhome. I am looking at an Einhell German AG BT-PG850/1Blue Stromerzeuger 720W but has not got facility for 12 volt. We are motorhome virgins and need advice. :cry:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
simple answer is don't get one without inverter technology and forget using the 12 volt out as the motorhomes mains onboard charger will charge the battery much faster.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi and welcome...

I think that if you type "generators! in the search bit of the site (under the Main Heading towards the left) then you will find many posts/threads containing information and opinions about generators...

It is an often discussed (and vital) topic...

I swear by Kipor generators but many others don't!

(Others swear at them and all generators for disturbing the peace...)

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There is a lot of information on here about generators - I suggest you search the forums. I have never heard of the brand you are considering, but a quick search suggests they are at the budget end of the generator range. That raises three issues: noise level; whether 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine; and whether they are pure sine-wave generators (probably not at the prices I have seen).

I would suggest that a 2-stroke is not a great idea as they tend to be both noisy and smelly.
An inverter generator produces clean sine wave power and can be plugged into the 230V input of the motorhome. This uses the onboard charger which is normally much more powerful than the 12V output that some generators can deliver. This means faster charging. However, whilst some people do use non-inverter generators into their 230V hookup inlet, this can be risky and I would not do it. Non inverter generators are less stable and can deliver power spikes which can damage the onboard charging system.
If you have an inverter generator, the issue of whether it has a 12V output or not is no longer relevant.

Another issue to consider is whether you want the generator to do anything other than charge the batteries. If that is all, then a small unit (1KVa or a bit less) will do the job. If you want to run bigger items, such as a microwave oven, you will need something like a 2KVa unit or possibly larger - these start to get rather heavy.

Inverter sine wave generators are made by many brands including: Honda, Hyundai, Kipor, Yamaha, Stephill. Honda is the most expensive (the 1 KVa model costs around £700) and the others are available at various prices below that.

P.S. Welcome to 'FUN'

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There is a lot of information on here about generators - I suggest you search the forums. I have never heard of the brand you are considering, but a quick search suggests they are at the budget end of the generator range. That raises three issues: noise level; whether 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine; and whether they are pure sine-wave generators (probably not at the prices I have seen).

I would suggest that a 2-stroke is not a great idea as they tend to be both noisy and smelly.
An inverter generator produces clean sine wave power and can be plugged into the 230V input of the motorhome. This uses the onboard charger which is normally much more powerful than the 12V output that some generators can deliver. This means faster charging. However, whilst some people do use non-inverter generators into their 230V hookup inlet, this can be risky and I would not do it. Non inverter generators are less stable and can deliver power spikes which can damage the onboard charging system.
If you have an inverter generator, the issue of whether it has a 12V output or not is no longer relevant.

Another issue to consider is whether you want the generator to do anything other than charge the batteries. If that is all, then a small unit (1KVa or a bit less) will do the job. If you want to run bigger items, such as a microwave oven, you will need something like a 2KVa unit or possibly larger - these start to get rather heavy.

Inverter sine wave generators are made by many brands including: Honda, Hyundai, Kipor, Yamaha, Stephill. Honda is the most expensive (the 1 KVa model costs around £700) and the others are available at various prices below that.

P.S. Welcome to 'FUN'

Great info but you might want to wait until you've decided if you really need one. I generally use sites with EHU ( wife insists on electric heater in winter) but on the couple of times I didn't, managed ok on gas and leisure battery - 12v TV & satellite, gas for cooking, 2.8L generator under bonnet if desperate.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
being a firm user of generators I would say......

Great info but you might want to wait until you've decided if you really need one. I generally use sites with EHU ( wife insists on electric heater in winter) but on the couple of times I didn't, managed ok on gas and leisure battery - 12v TV & satellite, gas for cooking, 2.8L generator under bonnet if desperate.

being a firm user of generators (built in to my RV chassis - 4 kw) they are very useful.

In the UK the lake of sun will not bring the best out of solar panels and to be honest the sizes you would need cost the earth and are heavy as well, plus with a portable generator you can take it off the motor home and use it in other situations. Or sell it when you decide you no longer need it...

Size is a personal thing... I doubt you need more than 2 kw .. that will give two plug 230v take off's and will allow you to charge your batteries and run most items you need... not all at the same time. The pure sin wave is important as if you want to run a computer or watch a mains TV it stops the flickers and does not upset the computer.. very important also on disabled scooters as no pure upsets the electrics on the charging side.

Honda do both a 1kw and a 2 kw.. sometimes sec on d hand ones at the shows.. but buy new if you can afford it. elcheapo generators are a waste of time.. plus do not forget you need a serious chain to lock it up to the vehicle some have had them stolen while camping... As Road Runner (John) his Kipor was nicked.

Bob

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a budget Link Removed. £286.

This is a noisy little bugger but it is sine wave which I consider essential.

Don't bother with the 12v output as these usually only put out a couple of amps and isn't a multistage charger. Where as the onboard charger is multstage and usually has much higher output.

For example my generator has a 12v output of 5amps. My onboard charger is 25amps. So the generator on 240v connected to my hookup gives me 25 amps as well as 240v to power the toaster etc.

Unless you have a specific need for 2KW then 1KW is better as it is lighter and easier to lug about...

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
whats this some one with a noisy genny

I have a budget Link Removed. £286.

This is a noisy little bugger but it is sine wave which I consider essential.

Well, well well someone that admits they have a noisy one... that will get them going again:reel: just love it when a plan comes together...

It all be mud fights over the genies

Bob:Blush:

Upvote 0

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
Taking our gennie to Peterborough, Guess we wont have to take the mud for the wrestling........:cry:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
gennys or not

Hi, can anyone give me advice on the best generator to buy for motorhome. I am looking at an Einhell German AG BT-PG850/1Blue Stromerzeuger 720W but has not got facility for 12 volt. We are motorhome virgins and need advice. :cry:

Hi, welcome to the world of the motor home, our advice would be sit back and enjoy your new motor home for a couple of months, see how you move about it and what power needs you require.
We dashed out and bought a 2kw genny and have to say we have only used it about 4 times in 3yrs.
We are generally on Caravan Club sites so on an electric hook up, the few times we have been wild camping we have lasted 5 days with just our 2x110amp hour batteries plus we have a 85w solar panel on the roof which helps keep them topped on a sunny day.
Our power consumption is quite frugal in that we have all led lighting, we don`t use the TV much, in the summer you won`t be using the heating that often so the fan on the fire won`t be running.
[FONT=&quot]So sit back and enjoy your new lifestyle and then adjust it to suit yourselves.:thumb:[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
transporting a generator

Well, hubby has bought a 1Kw suitcase generator and after much muttering and faffing he finally got it to work. However, what we can't work out is where to put it whilst travelling. It won't fit in any of the external lockers and when we tried laying it on its side so that it would fit, it leaked. The only place we can think of is in the shower, but not sure I like the idea of it being inside due to petrol fumes. Thoughts anyone?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the filler cap is secure and the caps air valve is off (if it has one) then there is no reason to have any fumes in the van..

not always a good idea to carry things in the shower tray......a few kg of generator with 4 small feet resting on the shower base may crack it if you hit any potholes etc.

i carried my kipor, for many miles, under the dinette table, along with a full can of petrol, and not once did i smell petrol.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Well, well well someone that admits they have a noisy one... that will get them going again:reel: just love it when a plan comes together...

It all be mud fights over the genies

Bob:Blush:

I know how you all like to take the high ground and cast others as whingers but I go camping to get away from noise so generators are an anathema to me.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know how you all like to take the high ground and cast others as whingers but I go camping to get away from noise so generators are an anathema to me.
everyone to their own Oldun, but even as a generator user myself i sometimes find them annoying too.
especially the open framed 'site' generators which some use or the small 2 stroke jobbies running flat out all the time.

a decent inverter jobbie with smart throttle can barely be heard unless its working hard.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back