side loading scooter trailer (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
side loader

Thank you gerryhughes yes something along these lines price just seems a bit steep
to carry 110cc scooter:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Im sure there are other makes out there that might be slightly cheaper as we saw loads of them on holiday when its only the 2 of us i will be buying one for our mh

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I think that's what John ( Jaws ) had and sent it back, when he spots this I'm sure he will put you right on them. :Smile: Bob.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes, it was indeed an Easy Lifter Hydra Trail

To be absolutely fair, they may well be fine on small scooters, but the one I had was supposed to be specially built for me ( and another for Richard, Scotties who also had one ) simply could not handle the bigger bikes we wanted them for, actually TWISTING the 4" x 4" box section tow bar !!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just looking at the side loader trailers, I can see a possible problem when used on an awful lot of motorhomes

Anything with a Alko ( sp ? ) chassis will have limited nose weight.. My tow bar is plated at 90 kilos and I have seen other with much less.

So what would the problem be ?

Bikes ( even small ones ) get very heavy ( effectively ) under inertia.
When you brake the weight of the trailer and bike will try to rotate round the axle, doubling ( or more ) the nose weight.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just looking at the side loader trailers, I can see a possible problem when used on an awful lot of motorhomes

Anything with a Alko ( sp ? ) chassis will have limited nose weight.. My tow bar is plated at 90 kilos and I have seen other with much less.

So what would the problem be ?

[HI]Bikes ( even small ones ) get very heavy ( effectively ) under inertia.
When you brake the weight of the trailer and bike will try to rotate round the axle, doubling ( or more ) the nose weight.
[/HI]

Have you thought this Through Jaws? what about a trailer 750kg unbraked why would the noseweight be ok and not unsafe in that case?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I purchased a side loader trailer in 2010 and it's fantastic. My Suzuki Burgman is a heavy beast so stability was a must. It reverses with ease after a bit of practice and rides very well. Loading either on or off the towbar is very stable and with four ratchet straps it sits well during travel. At all speeds upto the limits there is no sway or movement. Last year we covered over 3500 miles through France and never had a single issue. I looked at two manufacturers but taking into consideration of build quality I chose Armitage Trailers from Ferrybridge, not the cheepest but you get what you pay for. The complete build is extremely good and attention to detail impressive. We are off to tour France and Spain next weekend and have no reservations with the scooter/trailer combination.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Scooter trailers

I purchased a side loader trailer in 2010 and it's fantastic. My Suzuki Burgman is a heavy beast so stability was a must. It reverses with ease after a bit of practice and rides very well. Loading either on or off the towbar is very stable and with four ratchet straps it sits well during travel. At all speeds upto the limits there is no sway or movement. Last year we covered over 3500 miles through France and never had a single issue. I looked at two manufacturers but taking into consideration of build quality I chose Armitage Trailers from Ferrybridge, not the cheepest but you get what you pay for. The complete build is extremely good and attention to detail impressive. We are off to tour France and Spain next weekend and have no reservations with the scooter/trailer combination.
Hi, we are thinking of going the same route with a 125cc scooter on the back of our Bolero, have you had any problems with the trailer, can you secure(lock) it to the towbar, we have a swan neck type, do you cover your bike when in transit?, Then where do we store helmets etc.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
No problems with trailer. Tows very well and never snakes. I always cover bike but possibly no need. Our helmets store under the bike seat and the trailer is fitted with hitchlock built into the unit. The ramps and spare wheel are fitted with locks so no problem there.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
[/HI]

Have you thought this Through Jaws? what about a trailer 750kg unbraked why would the noseweight be ok and not unsafe in that case?

Yes, completely different..
A standard trailer has the weight distributed across its length with an average nose weight of about 40 kilos
When you brake, almost all of the energy is absorbed in the forward plane

With the bike sideways ALL the weight is directly over ( above ) the axle and will pivot on that point. So instead of an even distribution the whole weight will be in one place and one plain, thereby increasing the weight on the nose ( believe me, after the debacal of the Easy Lifter I tried all sorts.. If you want the math of the above I can proly get it done again.. I 'employed' my nephews ability as an aerospace design engineer to work out all the load values :winky: I might have been able to do it 30 years ago but I am afraid the formula used to develop the kinetic energy potential in an arc has long since escaped from my meagre brain cells ! )

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a swivel deck on the trailer

The trailer I have has a swivel deck so the whole trailer body turns to allow loading from the curb side or in the normal position from the rear of the trailer.

It is made for disabled scooters .. I have the long wheel base version.. Chris Elliott adaptions of Peterborough make them.

Mine is for sale.. but suggest you look at the site, he often comes to the shows.... has a very good engineering organisation set up for disabled adaptions.. but the trailer is designed under the 750 kgs is two wheel no brakes.. but as I say the deck swivels.

If you are interested p.m me.

Bob

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Yes, completely different..
A standard trailer has the weight distributed across its length with an average nose weight of about 40 kilos
When you brake, almost all of the energy is absorbed in the forward plane

With the bike sideways ALL the weight is directly over ( above ) the axle and will pivot on that point. So instead of an even distribution the whole weight will be in one place and one plain, thereby increasing the weight on the nose ( believe me, after the debacal of the Easy Lifter I tried all sorts.. If you want the math of the above I can proly get it done again.. I 'employed' my nephews ability as an aerospace design engineer to work out all the load values :winky: I might have been able to do it 30 years ago but I am afraid the formula used to develop the kinetic energy potential in an arc has long since escaped from my meagre brain cells ! )

so you think this http://www.armitagetrailers.com/biketrailers.htm is a bad idea as it pivots the weight under braking causing excessive noseweight?
(I am asking not arguing) I do know you have (done a bit)::bigsmile:
and a better option is a normal bike trailer?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As A S says..

Please remember this is no more than my opinion based on experience gained from personal experimentation and ownership of some fairly weird ideas that, whilst innovative, have NOT necc. a great idea when it comes to the practicality's

But realistically, a sideways trailer is fine IF you have good nose weight capability and the bike you are intending to carry is on the small side.

If you think at some point you may wish to carry a more substantial bike there is still nothing to beat an in-line trailer

I have now bought a RoRo trailer which is incredibly light, loads so easy as to be a job for a wee little weakling, and tows like it is not there..

Not cheap I admit but well worth the lolly.. No ramps to worry about and it holds the bike in place while you strap it down..

http://www.roromotorcycletrailers.co.uk/

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Thanks for the advice Jaws. Sounds like an easier option than my side loader, I like ease nowadays.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Trailer rotational nose weights

Jaws,

i see your point from a mathematical view but if tolerances were this fine, surely we would be passing tuggers on a regular basis at the side of the road with snapped suspension and or swan necks.

i have done two years with an easy lifter scooter rack and PCX 125 on the tow ball which i know is right on/just over our limit and as we want to stop counting every kg that goes in I have ordered an Armitage side loader. It will take the rack (32kg) and the scooter (120kg) off the motorhome and add about 28kg nose weight.

The reversing issue seems to get opposite answers all over the forums. I think ex-caravanners seem to be able to do it as long as they have a camera and I suppose twin lense will help.

Phil

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The reversing was great.. The castor wheel idea is superb and caused no issues what so ever.
As said, I believe on smaller little bikes like your own there is unlikely to be any issues at all.. Sadly, when you start talking about the weights of real bikes Newtons 1st ( from memory ) law of motions starts to really kick in.. You get some REALLY scary figures even at speeds as low as 40mph the energy can be in excess of 30kJ with a bike weighing 230kg
The simplistic answer would be to move the load BEHIND the axle thereby completely changing the angle of moment twixt the load, axle and end of the draw bar :Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
When you see these side loading trailers in France, they fit on two 50mm tow balls.:whatthe:

Maybe they have overcome Johns problem. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllll.. fitting two balls still means they are on the same tow bar.. On a van with a pucka chassis I would think all would be well.. I am only refering to those who, like me, have an Alko chassis at the back which severely limits the safe working nose weight

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
trailer

Armitage trailers have taken an order for and produced for me a side loader ahead of schedule and at the busiest time of the year. I know its a great product and am looking forward to it. Initially they quoted 6 weeks but 5 if I paid 50% deposit so they booked and paid Vosa.
Am impressed with the service.

Phil

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Armitage Trailers

Further to the above post, I picked up the side loader this morning. It is a really well made product. Armitage have run out of puncture safe goo so gave me two spare wheels and the side loader includes ramp, lock and all the fastenings. The greeting, service and delivery ahead of agreed date has really impressed me.

Phil

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Further to the above post, I picked up the side loader this morning. It is a really well made product. Armitage have run out of puncture safe goo so gave me two spare wheels and the side loader includes ramp, lock and all the fastenings. The greeting, service and delivery ahead of agreed date has really impressed me.

Phil

Could we have some pics please

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
trailer

Am at work right now, left to pick it up at 4.30am this morning, but when home I will get some pics with and wihout scooter. I looks short enough to go into the garage sideways loaded up which would be awsome, if it does, i will pic it. scooter mirrors may catch on the door but hopefully not. I have never posted pics, so might need a helping hand as they will be on my computer and not webhosted as this software likes

Phil

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Pics of trailer

Need to do this on my lap top tomorrow. Ipad wont do it

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
really struggling with pics, using Grab the Url

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Sideloader to sell

As this is an old thread not many readers may be interested. I have put up for sale my side loader trailer used to carry a 210kg scooter. It has new tyres and just completed a 3000 mile trip to Southern France. I have had it nearly 2 years and find it great in every way.If anyone is after one it is on ebay.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back