Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
We have a 3850Kg motorhome and due to hubby's health we are thinking of down grading it to 3500kg. How do we go about it ?? please. Also what weight car would we be able to tow. We now tow a Fiat Panda. Thank you.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I doubt you could tow very much

We have a 3850Kg motorhome and due to hubby's health we are thinking of down grading it to 3500kg. How do we go about it ?? please. Also what weight car would we be able to tow. We now tow a Fiat Panda. Thank you.

If you down rate the motorhome, I doubt you would have enough weight left to tow very much at all.

Bob:Eeek:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends on the vehicle .some you can down plate and they keep the higher train weight . visit your local dvla office they can explain it all. i voluntary down plate trucks hen building mini artics , some we can down plate to 3,500kg and keep train weights of up to 12 ton . all can be driven on pre 97 car licences . remember to tell them its a voluntary down plate for leisure use not commercial.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
with all respect to Bob, the towing weight limit cannot be altered so whatever it is at 3850kg will be the same at 3500kg.
the vast majority of Fiat Ducato's are rated at 2000kg tow limit.

the only time it can be altered is if an Alko chassis is fitted, then Alko determine the tow limit.....mine was down rated from 2000kg to 1650kg by Alko...still enough for most small cars.

its best to visit your local DVLA office and ask them to help you with the paperwork (should be one simple form) and you MUST buy new road tax and produce your logbook (V5) at the time of change, it cannot be changed without buying new tax...you get a refund on unused months of your current disc.

DVLA and the Post office are not the best of bed fellows...letters and documents go missing at an unbelievable rate.... hence the advice to visit them personally.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so John if you down rate what will she be able to tow

with all respect to Bob, the towing weight limit cannot be altered so whatever it is at 3850kg will be the same at 3500kg.
the vast majority of Fiat Ducato's are rated at 2000kg tow limit.

its best to visit your local DVLA office and ask them to help you with the paperwork (should be one simple form) and you MUST buy new road tax and produce your logbook (V5) at the time of change, it cannot be changed without buying new tax...you get a refund on unused months of your current disc.

DVLA and the Post office are not the best of bed fellows...letters and documents go missing at an unbelievable rate.... hence the advice to visit them personally.

John, if they down rate the motorhome to 3.5 tons what will be the maximum they can tow?

Do I think this has to do with the licence entailment being changed? at the age 70? or why the need to down rate.. the vehicle remains the same but if the licence entitlement changes .. then if I am to wrong then the C+E will become a B+E and then it is 3.5 tons plus 750 kgs towing max.. or a mass of 4.25 tons.. which would limit the type of vehicle that could be towed. Am I reading between the lines on this?

The only reason I can see to down rate is to comply with driving licence requirements. Otherwise why pay more road tax ... which you would if it is 3.5 tons where as the higher weight would be PHG which is cheaper road tax?

Over to you....

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont forget, you will instantly lose 350kg of payload allowance on the van itself, but you can carry items in the car to compensate.

the cars maximum allowable weight (gross weight) is used to determine it's weight when being towed, not what it actually weighs at the time

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the question is why do it?

dont forget, you will instantly lose 350kg of payload allowance on the van itself, but you can carry items in the car to compensate.

the cars maximum allowable weight (gross weight) is used to determine it's weight when being towed, not what it actually weighs at the time

The question John is why do it? see my post above

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
heres iveco,s mini artic down plated from something like 4.5ton to 3.5 ton keeps its trainweight of 8,700kg . allows driving on the pre 97 licence ,b+e.
sorry if its not as clear to see as i would like but i cant help it.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 28

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bob you have it wrong . you keep the b+e part of your pre 97 licence . that allows any weight trailer so long as the tow units trainweight isnt broken.
seems daft i know but there as been alot of searching to allow this to happen . 5ers are the best way around medicals .but train is train . even a m,home can sometimes have a good train weight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bob, a standard B licence will allow 3500kg plus 750kg trailer....a B+E will allow up to the vans legal towing limt.....which may be between 1650kg (as mine was) and 2000kg (factory limit)

as Alan said...depending on the base vehicles original weight it can be as much as 8500kg towing limit with the van has been downrated to just 3500kg....the most it can legally carry, not what its capable of carrying.

apart from the re-rated weight difference, the van is still the same...chassis, brakes, suspension, tyres etc

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john it can be more .i drop 7.5 ton vehicles to 3,500kg and they can have 12 ton trains .
all legal.
mine could be dropped and have a train of 9.8 ton .
i would have to raise the train as i have already dropped it to allow c1+e licence holders to drive it .

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks for all your info. Am I reading this as if we down grade the tax will be more expensive cant carry as much weight and not able to tow the panda. Hubby is 71 and a diabetic on injections done the first year medical but don't know if he will get the medical every year thats why we are thinking of down grading now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you can legally tow the panda now, i cant see any reason why it cant be towed with a lower weight rating.

unless hubby's medical restrictions only allow a B licence...3500kg vehicle plus a 750kg max trailer....the minimum car licence entitlement

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might need more enquireies but as far as i know he will keep the b+e.
must say please check. the dft sites arent very good at some of the explanations . but i was a few years ago helping a funster with keeping the c1+e . i,m sure he will keep the b+e . op m,home was a 5tonner and was too heavy to be voluntary dropped to 3.5ton. do check could solve your problems .

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
VWalan. There is a local DVLA office about 15 miles from us so we are off down there tomorrow. Will let you know how we get on. Thanks for all help given
Maureen

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. really go on about the b+e bit though . they do try and forget about the pre 97 lic bit
. but its easy to voluntary down plate so long as its a private vehicle.

OP
OP
MaureenD

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
VWalan and all who gave such good information. We went to the local DVLA this morning. No problem to down grade to 3500 and because he passed the driving test before Jan 1997 he can retain all existing entitlements until the licence expires this means he can drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25tonnes MAM. The tax will go up to £220 a year an increase of £55 per year but then he don't need to have a yearly medical which the doctor charges £120 for so we are Very Happy.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
just caught up with the post

Just caught up with the post.. I had this feeling at the back of it was the driving licence entitlement (aged 70 + medical issues)...

I am glad it is now sorted out... it is difficult issue for many owners when they need to have the medicals to retain the over 3.5 tons entitlements. I know we have visited this before.

But I was not sure about the B + E or if t was just B ... but as said if issued before 1974 then it is B + E ... does not say what E's weight is if I am not wrong. if it is just B then it is a trailer up to 750 kgs.

Thanks John and Alan

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back