Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I’ve noticed on a number of vans that they have a pair of clips of some sort low down on the side of the van whereby you can insert the foot of the awning support arm rather than the usual form of pegging the foot into the ground.
There is no reference to these clips in an old Fiamma catalogue I have, can anyone tell me if they are available, if you need any special attachment on the foot and how easy it might be to fit them to the van. Seems to me they could be useful if only staying on a site for a couple of days but wanting a bit of protection from sun or rain if needed.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
They are a good idea as long as the person fitting them knows the construction of the van, and fits to something solid.

Have seen the effect of not fitting correctly, two lovely bits of triangle shaped panels, where once the clips had been ripped totally out.

Don't think I would chance it, can't damage ground.

OP
OP
wander

wander

Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Thanks Peter, I'm coming over to the UK end of May and intend to call into your shop for a few things first week of June. Maybe if you are free you could have a look at our van and tell me if it's possible to fit them.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks Peter, I'm coming over to the UK end of May and intend to call into your shop for a few things first week of June. Maybe if you are free you could have a look at our van and tell me if it's possible to fit them.

Ask for Glenn my workshop manager or Ian as they are technical and know the structure of vans

Peter

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've used, and fitted, these before and they are handy.

you need one of two things to fit them properly...just screwing into the sidewall aint good enough....either a wooden batten inbuilt into the side wall (part of main framework) or long nuts and machine screws with large metal plates.

wood batten....simply use good quality wood screws of the correct size into the wood.

Nuts and machine screws...screws need to go all the way through the wall to the inside with large plates and 'Nyloc' nuts...tightened just enough to be secure without crushing the sidewall.

a little silicon sealer around the screw holes will stop water ingress

you need to carefully plan where the machine screws will go as they may end up somewhere inaccessible from the inside ie: behind the oven etc.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Nuts and machine screws...screws need to go all the way through the wall to the inside with large plates and 'Nyloc' nuts...tightened just enough to be secure without crushing the sidewall.

Cut some small diameter copper or steel brake type pipe and use that as an insert to prevent any chance of side wall crushing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back