Have I Lost my Sense of Adventure? (1 Viewer)

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
For ten or so years my wife and I have been taking good campervanning holidays in Europe. I've been retired for four years. We've been to Morocco and to the top of Norway and to many damn fine places in between, but increasingly I find that I want to go back to campsites and towns we've already visited. I'm only 55 and I feel I'm letting myself down. Have I lost the plot?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,maybe not . like you i have seen lots of far off places . the more i go away the more i like the uk. if the weather was alot warmer in winter i possibly wouldnt go abroad.
friends of the family used to say this when i was younger . i now know just how they felt.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
For ten or so years my wife and I have been taking good campervanning holidays in Europe. I've been retired for four years. We've been to Morocco and to the top of Norway and to many damn fine places in between, but increasingly I find that I want to go back to campsites and towns we've already visited. I'm only 55 and I feel I'm letting myself down. Have I lost the plot?
Not at all, you are under no obligation to visit places just for the sake of it. Do what takes your fancy. Perhaps you could do with a change maybe a hotel or cruise, if you still want adventure then get on a big bird and see what you think of Australia. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I think you're all probably right. I'm remembering now that it took ages for me (to allow myself) to be happy to sit in valleys and look at big mountains without feeling that I really should be climbing them. Sometimes I still cycle up mountain roads, but only for the fun of descending.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you have to play games like no tolls no motorways no dual carriageways
or must be on the road nearest the sea . or you cant turn round even if you know its not the right way but find another.
we have been doing this for years . its good fun .
cant always win . but it doesnt matter.
the skill is always taking the right road .
the other one is the wrong road. never a left .

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I used to like map reading, but it never combined well with driving! 5 or 6 years ago we met Thomas Thomas and ever since then I've greatly enjoyed exploring, getting lost and being rescued by the sat nav.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no sat nav here.
my last partner was sad nav as she couldnt get the map the right way up.
luckily she had twat nav (me)to get us back on track.

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
My wife was a good map reader, perhaps she still could be, but she's always been completely uninterested in map reading. And she's a very good driver, but doesn't drive our van.

Come to think of it, would she notice if I went on holiday on my own?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

Yes I think so

GeraldandAnnie

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Essex coast
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
We're tending to mix our exploration between new places and places we've been to, and liked. We're happy to find a new aire in a small French town, explore the town and surrounding area for a day or two, and then move on. It's also nice to see places we know.

Then again, I've never been one for climbing mountains :Doh:

Gerald

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I try to be honest and frank with myself...

I am getting to the last phase of life...

I have had a very, very lucky life in which I have done many things and visited many, many places...

I have more than enough things that I know I enjoy doing and more than enough places that I know I want to revisit...

Why risk spending too much precious time seeing if I might enjoy this place or might enjoy doing that thing?

I have done my experimenting and now I want to enjoy the things that that experimentation has shown me I love doing to the full...

I suppose this might be boring to the younger ones amongst you who are still seeking new adventure but to me it makes sense... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years

I have had a very, very lucky life in which I have done many things and visited many, many places...

I have more than enough things that I know I enjoy doing and more than enough places that I know I want to revisit...

Why risk spending too much precious time seeing if I might enjoy this place or might enjoy doing that thing?

I have done my experimenting and now I want to enjoy the things that that experimentation has shown me I love doing to the full...

I suppose this might be boring to the younger ones amongst you who are still seeking new adventure but to me it makes sense... :winky:

... but don't you sometimes want to go somewhere new, see different people, try something else, read another book?

How about it's like food and drink. You mostly buy the same cheese you know you really like, the same wine, but then... the shop has another cheese on offer that you have never tried, are you still curious?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
... but don't you sometimes want to go somewhere new, see different people, try something else, read another book?

How about it's like food and drink. You mostly buy the same cheese you know you really like, the same wine, but then... the shop has another cheese on offer that you have never tried, are you still curious?

Reading another book... of course...

Going somewhere new... well, I do drive to known places on different routes and come across new places on the way but I don't plan to go to a particular place just to "have a look" (unless it is for work or a footy match or a trusted friend has told me I will love it and why...)

Meeting different people... can't avoid that... it happens without me changing anything...

Food... NEVER... I have enough food I like to eat without "trying something new" which might make me vomit! (Mind you I eat to live... not as a hobby...)

What about you?

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I find where ever you go in the world --all you find is someone trying to sell you something you don`t want.
Airports,African villages,middle east markets, " ello sir--you buy?" Usually from a hot sweaty, smelly,-local man-----How many times can i say NO !
Then as i walk away i notice a sour look as if to say -- i hate you anyway :Eeek:.

Then after a new and different locally made meal --3 days of sat on the loo with head down the basin thinking " i wish i was at home".

Been there done that --i will travel the U/K now and the odd trip to France:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm glad you posted this because I thought it was just me .. good post and thanks for sharing ..

I feel the same.. jaded, 'been there, done that, got the olde fart syndrome' to prove it ... :Sad:

I call it losing my edge .. been traveling all my life, culminating in 2009 after three years full time.. that was plenty..
Seen most of Europe and lived in RSA for six years where traveling with a 4x4 and tent is a real adventure ... but there are only so many beaches to visit, old castles to look at or mountains to gaze on until they all start to look the same..

Morocco was the last place that I felt truly excited about.. but after a couple of months it too was became just another tourist destination .. full of street traders flogging cheap tourist tat or get you to climb onto a smelly camel, buy a rug, fossil or sandals.. .. sand and mountains ... a series of camps and moving on.. a great country but at the end of the day not much different to many others.. just a lot poorer.

I have lost my enthusiasm for long haul driving just to do the same old stuff again and if it's only to find better weather I would be better off flying.

We sold the RV and now have a touring caravan.. will go to places in the UK and France that we know and love.. but no more 'here today gone tomorrow', can't wait to pull the plug syndrome and drive off into the sunset ...
I want to take it easy and enjoy my stay, relax without wondering what is around the corner.. because that corner is just another corner .. no different to a thousand others I've chased..

Read my signature.. it is a quote from a book, 'Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance'... nothing to do with motorcycles, it's a philosophical look at life on a road trip across the US on a motor cycle..
I first read it around 1983 .. didn't understand it.. after many years and a lot of travel.. I now do.

Last edited:

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Hi all.....i'm reading these posts and I can sort of understand the "been there done that" remarks.
Myself and other half are having our "moments" with living in the rat race that is the U.K, probably the same anywhere else after a while?
All my life (48 yrs old) i've worked and got stuck into making a half sensible living and standard of life. Self employed and home owner I can say i've done Ok.
In 2003 I sold my business and rented the house and went to Egypt...ended up teaching scuba diving for 2 years. Great times but came back in 05.

I've got back into my business, Vehicle windscreen replacements and also learnt another trade, recovery truck driver. I also have my HGV class 1.
In the last year we've been saying that we just need to get away and "drop out" the rat race.
We had the chance to go to Thailand, Koh Phangnan, for 3 weeks and check out a friends dive centre with the possibilities of returning to live/work out there. Much as it was very nice it wasn't for us.

Having been home now a while we are still struggling with the uncertainty of what we want.
We briefly toured Europe in our Delica which was fun but made hard by not having much space and having to make up a bed each night...you know the type of thing, moving this and that to get the bed sorted....hassle but we got on with it.
Now we have a small folding Caravan (Esterel) and the few trips we've had have been great.
We basically want to sort out a few things this end with the house and just take off with the Delica and caravan over to france and just work our way down...no particular plans but just see where we end up.

Having read this post I feel a bit concerned that the grass isn't any greener out the U.K and we'd be making a mistake.
Being all new to us it may be exciting/daunting and a great adventure....but to get that feeling of bored, same old same old and to be stuck in a foreign country would be a big downer.
Sorry for the long post but we're having a few dillemas going on here and to just get some thoughts/advice from those who know would be very much appreciated right now.

Phil and Aggy.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
What an interesting thread, and I particularly like JJ's and Jim's responses.

I don't think what you're describing is 'old fart syndrome', I think it's an indicator of people who know themselves well, have done some exploring inside themselves as well as out and are more or less OK with their place in the world. (Sorry if that assumption is off the mark).

I think I know what you mean. For a long time now I've found myself wishing myself to the tops of hills but not having the motivation to actually get there. When I do, I still love it and still get all the same levels of satisfaction that I always have (I earned my living for a long time by climbing hills and loved every minute). But it does take a lot more effort than it used to and I don't have quite the guilt trip that I used to when I decide to sit at the bottom.

I don't want to be morbid about it but, when you have more sand in the bottom of the timer than you do in the top, and you don't have anything to prove - to others or, more importantly, yourself - you can probably sit on a beach and vegitate in peace. Or please yourself what you choose for your new mountains.

And the other thing that disqualifies you from 'old fartdome', in my opinion for what its worth, is a sense of wonder - the thing that helps you enjoy things as if they're there for the first time. One of my friends and heros has done everything and been everywhere and I'm constantly in awe when he tells his stories. He manages, however, to seem to see everything with the eyes of a child - he's never bored, he's never boring and life is still a massive adventure for him. He's 91 incidentally, and not very mobile anymore, but it makes not a scrap of difference.

Oh, and by the way -

I find where ever you go in the world --all you find is someone trying to sell you something you don`t want.
Airports,African villages,middle east markets, " ello sir--you buy?" Usually from a hot sweaty, smelly,-local man-----How many times can i say NO !
Then as i walk away i notice a sour look as if to say -- i hate you anyway :Eeek:.

Then after a new and different locally made meal --3 days of sat on the loo with head down the basin thinking " i wish i was at home".

Been there done that --i will travel the U/K now and the odd trip to France:thumb:

- that's being an old fart!!! :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
What a honest interesting posts from people who have not lived the normal 9 to 5 life but gone out and found adventure and alternative living.

Sometimes though its good to slow down reflect take a different pace nothing wrong with that, and as a post "Salopian" put recently I don't need a lot of possessions, I just take my memories out, run through them reflect then put them back again for another day.

My friend JJ's post summed it up well and there really is a man who has lived and as the song says Done it my Way. and still enjoying the twists and turns of life.

I have read some of your blog, listenend to some of your music, you are still young, and still have time for lots of dreams but life changes don't beat your self up or think its wrong, so change pace for a while, talk to your wife its always good to hear thoughts talked about, that way you can make sense of them.

PS. Love the music on the blog.

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp

I think that just about sums it up really. I cannot tick all the boxes at this stage of my life but to be able to say the above one day would be nice.

Every obstacle that gets thrown my way, every idiot that makes life a little bit harder just makes it easier to jump in the van and drive off into the sunset....me and Aggy are so ready to stick 2 fingers up at this lot around here and just go...reading JJ's makes me want to get the hell outta here. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Fabulous thread, thank you ALL for your input.

My dream was to "Sell up and Sail Away" apologies to the Hiscocks (author) of this fabulous volume.

I tried to purchase a boat large enough to do just this in the mid to late eighties but of course we let family issues stand in our way as so many others do.

Now that I own a boat large enough for the Atlantic and onward we feel we are too old and have become 'fair weather sailors' since an unexpected illness three years ago.

I have sailed all over the world but as a working man I've had to rely on Aircraft to get me there and back inside my holiday entitlement. I do however have a desire to visit new places each time.

I can see the desire to go back to places I have enjoyed and as I get older I feel the draw of these place more and more. As a child we holidayed regularly in Cornwall and using the ferry across the Dart at Dartmouth filled me with dreams of sailing into Dartmouth as opposed to just seeing it from the ferry. Thirty years later I have done that more than once and seen much of my beloved Cornwall from anchorage and glad to be able to tick that box.

Through illness and poor weather we have invested a lot more in our motorhome and although I've seen much of the Mediterranean from the water I'd like to see it from the land too.

We have three trips planned this year /Italy over three weeks in June. France (Brittany) in late August early Sept and Holland in late Sept.

I've sailed in the Adriatic and all around the Brittany coast now I'll take a look at what you guys rave about.

A more recent discovery of mine is Portugal, been there three times now but never in the M/H. So I might bump into you JJ, I'll give you warning.

Can't see me retiring just yet, I enjoy my work and love the people I work with, but semi retirement might afford me more time to visit or re-visit some of the wonderful places in this tiny world.

............Griff.......:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Risky R...

Interesting post... scuba diving and hang-gliding are a couple of things that were on my list until quite recently!

The grass might not be much greener here in Portugal but the sun is a great deal warmer and it comes out to play much more often... :ROFLMAO:

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

Wait until you get to 60!......

Your memory will get so bad you'll forget what you had for breakfast::bigsmile:

Every trip will then seem like a new adventure:thumb:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Reading another book... of course...

Going somewhere new... well, I do drive to known places on different routes and come across new places on the way but I don't plan to go to a particular place just to "have a look" (unless it is for work or a footy match or a trusted friend has told me I will love it and why...)

Meeting different people... can't avoid that... it happens without me changing anything...

Food... NEVER... I have enough food I like to eat without "trying something new" which might make me vomit! (Mind you I eat to live... not as a hobby...)

[HI]What about you?[/HI]

Hello JJ

I wasn't writing about myself, rather you and Milo made comments about yourselves that invited a reply, but as you ask I'll try to keep this short...

I am a shy and private person in the main, but was cursed with a sense of curiosity that sometimes gets me into trouble.

Have met many people over the years, both the very good and very bad, plus many in between. I have a small number of very good friends scattered around the world, we meet from time to time but less frequently now we are older.

Have done some pretty crazy things, and a few interesting things that are outside the box, have a lot of memories if the memory holds up.

As many others commenting on this thread I am happy not to attempt a heart attack trying to do the same physical stuff that I did 20 years ago, but and it's a big but...

Curiosity doesn't appear to wane for me so when I see film of Afganistan I wonder will it be possible in my life to visit with a decent chance of safety? Watch an American football match wonder if I'll get to a big match. Ask if Alex Ferguson will ever retire (please please do it soon Alex I want my team back), research a safe way of getting into Algeria, how to visit Oklahoma in the tornado season and spend time in the Louisiana swamps. Take enough time away from a computer keyboard to re-read some of the travel writers that Milo refers to in his blog, check out Portugal and Lake Garda as don't know either and comments made here are inspring. Research a forced march made by Rosie's uncle in WWII across Germany and Poland and follow the route with Rosie and her cousin, her uncle's daughter. After on the way back call in to the family of my best friend, a lovely German family who looked after me as a lost 19 years old who just wanted to get away from the the grey people on the tube travelling to the City of London every day. Plan one of the trips of a lifetime on the Trans Siberian but then ferry to Japan and Korea. Visit India for Rosie's sake, what's the best way to do this? Will I ever see Willie Nelson in concert or at a club, it's endless.

Accepting that we change and do less/other things as we age I think my questions of you are valid.

We don't know each other but from the little I know of you, you have had a very interesting life and are very independent.
So the reason for asking you those questions is how can you apparently suddenly turn off all that's in you that made you what you are? Why haven't you just modified it to suit you current life?

Phew, couldn't keep it short after all, and MILO, where are you?

ps: have always found it's the people not the money, places or things that are the real interest, but real people don't appear to live at tourist sites?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for that Veevee...

I haven't "turned off" my life... rather, I am making use of the rest of it doing stuff I really want to do and know I like doing... not chancing my arm at stuff I might not enjoy...

but I do spend a lot of time "thinking" these days :winky: :ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hello JJ

I wasn't writing about myself, rather you and Milo made comments about yourselves that invited a reply, but as you ask I'll try to keep this short...

I am a shy and private person in the main, but was cursed with a sense of curiosity that sometimes gets me into trouble.

Have met many people over the years, both the very good and very bad, plus many in between. I have a small number of very good friends scattered around the world, we meet from time to time but less frequently now we are older.

Have done some pretty crazy things, and a few interesting things that are outside the box, have a lot of memories if the memory holds up.

As many others commenting on this thread I am happy not to attempt a heart attack trying to do the same physical stuff that I did 20 years ago, but and it's a big but...

Curiosity doesn't appear to wane for me so when I see film of Afganistan I wonder will it be possible in my life to visit with a decent chance of safety? Watch an American football match wonder if I'll get to a big match. Ask if Alex Ferguson will ever retire (please please do it soon Alex I want my team back), research a safe way of getting into Algeria, how to visit Oklahoma in the tornado season and spend time in the Louisiana swamps. Take enough time away from a computer keyboard to re-read some of the travel writers that Milo refers to in his blog, check out Portugal and Lake Garda as don't know either and comments made here are inspring. Research a forced march made by Rosie's uncle in WWII across Germany and Poland and follow the route with Rosie and her cousin, her uncle's daughter. After on the way back call in to the family of my best friend, a lovely German family who looked after me as a lost 19 years old who just wanted to get away from the the grey people on the tube travelling to the City of London every day. Plan one of the trips of a lifetime on the Trans Siberian but then ferry to Japan and Korea. Visit India for Rosie's sake, what's the best way to do this? Will I ever see Willie Nelson in concert or at a club, it's endless.

Accepting that we change and do less/other things as we age I think my questions of you are valid.

We don't know each other but from the little I know of you, you have had a very interesting life and are very independent.
So the reason for asking you those questions is how can you apparently suddenly turn off all that's in you that made you what you are? Why haven't you just modified it to suit you current life?

Phew, couldn't keep it short after all, and MILO, where are you?

ps: have always found it's the people not the money, places or things that are the real interest, but real people don't appear to live at tourist sites?

Tell me in a PM where you would like to go in Algeria..... May be you want to go where I can help you to go.......I was born there , and my mum is going every year .... In total peace!!!No promises , but a "may be"...

Amicalement

Frankie

Oh and I am still trying on a word document to explain when to use 'affectueusement" which is an existing word (at least I 've answered this question lol!)

OP
OP
Milo

Milo

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Lancaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Well, that was fun. ::bigsmile:

It is comforting to find that my situation is not unusual and to be reminded that I still do "suffer" from being interested, and from having enthusiasms for almost anything. Except football.

And surely those of us who go anywhere in a motorhome are more adventurous than that huge number of people who could afford to, and tell us they'd love to, but simply don't do it.

Looking ahead - if we dare - I'd be happy to be half of that quiet old couple who at some great age are still actively campervanning in a not-special van with a simply converted interior and a couple of home-made awnings.

And two bicycles on the back.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Tell me in a PM where you would like to go in Algeria..... May be you want to go where I can help you to go.......I was born there , and my mum is going every year .... In total peace!!!No promises , but a "may be"...

Amicalement

Frankie

Oh and I am still trying on a word document to explain when to use 'affectueusement" which is an existing word (at least I 've answered this question lol!)

Thanks Frankie, you are a real sweetie, we'll take you up on that.

Don't worry too much on 'affectueusement', probably couldn't pronounce it properly anyway.

J

Risky R

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Delica
Exp
Hi Risky R...

Interesting post... scuba diving and hang-gliding are a couple of things that were on my list until quite recently!

The grass might not be much greener here in Portugal but the sun is a great deal warmer and it comes out to play much more often... :ROFLMAO:

JJ

I was just talking to a friend (facebook chat) that I used to work with out in Egypt regarding Scuba diving. When I look at the pictures and read the posts about what he's got upto or seen whilst diving I get the urge to just pack up and go back out there again.....but it has changed in Sharm and not for the best from what I can make of it.

If....when we get our plans sorted and jump in the van and go I shall be taking my diving gear with me and looking to get back into the instructing again somewhere along the way.
Did you get to do your Scuba diving and the hang gliding?
Phil.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could be a while before you take the van . with libya ans syria out for awhile . but lets hope it all gets cleared up soon . egypt is a grand place and spending thw winter on the sinia provence is a nice thought. no surf but the scuba and snorkelling is great. if only they would stop fighting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back