Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hi everyone

We took delivery of our first motorhome just over 4 weeks ago after caravanning with our family for 20 years. The kids are grown up now so we made the switch, we have used it 3 out of the 4 weekends we've had it and are off to France for a week on Friday to sample some of the Aires we've seen on our travels over the years - can't wait. ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello welcome and enjoy your travels:thumb:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Welcome to the Fun!

If you're going to Normandy we found a couple of nice aires last week.........and one not so nice :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Don't know where we are going yet, just booked the train and we are off!

Which one wasn't so nice?

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Not so nice = Villedieu les Poeles: Short bays (too short for our 7.4+metres), difficult access into bays because of parked cars right in front, plus one in a MH bay. Bays under trees so noisy when it rains. No EHU apart from a quick burst to charge batteries. Noisy but you can share your Toilet emptying with passers by.
Recommended: Pont d'Ouilly (SW of Falaise- All the Aires Page 433). We were the only ones on the 35 bays, next to the river. We drank coffee and watched the sun go down as two Otters swam up and down. €7 plus water/disposal (free for us as the barrier was jammed up and the owner told us not to worry about paying).
Also Englesqueville just inland from Omaha Beach (All the Aires Page 435). Again we were the only ones there (Stop it, we are very clean and well behaved :Angry:). We watched the cows to and from milking (okay, you can smell them too ::bigsmile:), no body bothered us and we put our payment in the letterbox on the gate. 6 staggered bays so that everyone has a view. Fresh water (we changed the yellow hose to our own) grey and black disposal (don't fall in!!) and unmetered EHU. €5 for the pitch and €3 for the facilities.
Coudeville Plage wasn't bad either and the unisex toilets make it a bit more exciting :ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Scousebird and welcome to the fun site. This is a good spot to visit, there are three Aires here, the one by the sailng club being the best.

LE TOUQUET-PARIS-PLAGE.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Thanks for that, very interesting. We were thinking about getting to Mont St Michel & Honfleur, unfortunately the forecast is not good but I'm sure we'll enjoy it just the same. :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Honfleur is a good Aire, plenty of free leccy. As far as I'm concern Mont St Michel Aire is a dump, thats only my opinion.
Jim
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome to MHF

a warm welcome from us as well.. hope your enjoyer your motorhome.. better than a caravan any day..

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for that, very interesting. We were thinking about getting to Mont St Michel & Honfleur, unfortunately the forecast is not good but I'm sure we'll enjoy it just the same. :thumb:

Mont St Michel is difficult to get to in a MH (we tried last Friday). They won't let you down the Causeway to park, we were turned around at the entrance to the new car park on the causeway and there didn't appear to be any shuttle buses running yet (though I saw 2 being delivered on a low loader). I drove as far down the causeway as I could for a second time and dropped off my wife and daughter. Having refuelled at Carrefour I did the usual MH thing and parked with other motorhomers in a hotel/restaurant car park, until I got a text to pick up my wife and daughter. It spoilt it for them as they didn't go into the abbey for fear of taking too long. Again I picked them up on the causeway and did another U turn (well 3 point turn :winky:). The road to the causeway is flanked by hotels etc. and parked coaches and a few MH's. No room for us.
Typical French, they've changed the rules before completing all the associated works. Not sure we will try again but, if we do, it will be after the shuttle buses are running.
If you want to go now, take your walking shoes and pay to park in the aire.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Not so nice = Villedieu les Poeles: Short bays (too short for our 7.4+metres), difficult access into bays because of parked cars right in front, plus one in a MH bay. Bays under trees so noisy when it rains. No EHU apart from a quick burst to charge batteries. Noisy but you can share your Toilet emptying with passers by.

But the town is great - so interesting!!

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Mont St Michel is difficult to get to in a MH (we tried last Friday). They won't let you down the Causeway to park, we were turned around at the entrance to the new car park on the causeway and there didn't appear to be any shuttle buses running yet (though I saw 2 being delivered on a low loader). I drove as far down the causeway as I could for a second time and dropped off my wife and daughter. Having refuelled at Carrefour I did the usual MH thing and parked with other motorhomers in a hotel/restaurant car park, until I got a text to pick up my wife and daughter. It spoilt it for them as they didn't go into the abbey for fear of taking too long. Again I picked them up on the causeway and did another U turn (well 3 point turn :winky:). The road to the causeway is flanked by hotels etc. and parked coaches and a few MH's. No room for us.
Typical French, they've changed the rules before completing all the associated works. Not sure we will try again but, if we do, it will be after the shuttle buses are running.
If you want to go now, take your walking shoes and pay to park in the aire.

Thank you for that information, I had heard that they had made changes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back