Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Could anybody please recommend an insurance co ?

At the moment, I’m with Camptons who insure my Nav' (08 Auto Double cab) + my Fifth Wheel as one unit on the same policy. Renewal this year is over £800 but they recon another +25% if I add “Buisness Use” to the policy (which I have to as my soon to be new employer will be paying milage up to my place of work in Scotland and back at the end of the contract).
Thinking of insuring the 2 units seperately and just tried Chris Knott insurance for the Nav only (they were VERY good when I had a Sorento) but they recon that they can’t find ANYONE who will insure a double cab Navs ?

Any help much appreciated cos as a 50 y/o careful driver with no claims or convictions, these :swear:are really :Angry:me off!
Thanks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can only suggest you give NFU in Louth a call.. they insure just about anything..

I had the RV and toad insured by them and still use for my car ..

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Can only suggest you give NFU in Louth a call.. they insure just about anything..

I had the RV and toad insured by them and still use for my car ..

B88ger!::bigsmile: Forgot all about them, thanks Jim. The only reason we ever went Camptons was that the year we started with a 5ver, the insurers made a cock up with NFU's policy and they weren't competetive that year........typical!
I'll give em a ring.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Could anybody please recommend an insurance co ?

At the moment, I’m with Camptons who insure my Nav' (08 Auto Double cab) + my Fifth Wheel as one unit on the same policy. Renewal this year is over £800 but they recon another +25% if I add “Buisness Use” to the policy (which I have to as my soon to be new employer will be paying milage up to my place of work in Scotland and back at the end of the contract).
Thinking of insuring the 2 units seperately and just tried Chris Knott insurance for the Nav only (they were VERY good when I had a Sorento) but they recon that they can’t find ANYONE who will insure a double cab Navs ?

Any help much appreciated cos as a 50 y/o careful driver with no claims or convictions, these :swear:are really :Angry:me off!
Thanks.

My Navara crew cab is with Sureterm Direct.

Pete:Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you could try coop. they used to be good . only changed as at the time no cover for maroc.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Insurance .....

Hi Zaskar, just renewed my Navara with quotelineddirect (commercial policy - make sure you let them know all of the drivers are working - even if part time) for just over £300 fully comp.

Good deal I thought :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the CC also insure 5th wheels now Paul if you are a member.

oops snap pepper386

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
the CC also insure 5th wheels now Paul if you are a member.

oops snap pepper386

They do Maggie, but unfortunately, the cover seems a bit wierd although that could be down to the fact that the lass we spoke to seemed a bit clueless quite frankly!:Doh:
As far as we could make out, the 5ver is only covered when attached to the truck. The truck would also be covered solo, but..........
say you go out sightseeing in the truck and the rig is left on site. If there's a fire/theft etc in the rig whilst your're out, it's not covered? How pants is that for a policy?:Doh::Angry:

Deleted User
C&CC also cover 5ers but not cheap, premiums very much dependent on value and not much cover for contents. I would check with CC again regarding cover when unhitched, caravans are covered and as far as I am aware 5ers are covered under an extension of this policy.

I was covered with the C&CC policy and a commercial vehicle policy from Cornhill Direct until last year when the premium jumped to £1050 from £700 with full NCB. I am now covered with Camptons for both at £800+, they would not quote when I first got the 5er because of postcode and storage issues.

I am sure that you are aware that a pickup is a commercial vehicle and not many underwriters will cover a cv for private use but as you want a commercial policy there should be no problem apart from premiums. NCB is not usually transferable from a cv policy to a private policy and I assume vice verca.

Good luck

cbcft

Free Member
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
hello
we have ordered a 5th wheel which is due for delivery in October and are having difficulty finding a company who will quote for insurance. Those we have tried already: Comfort - no 5th wheels, caravan club - no 5th wheels, Sureterm - no 5th wheel over 25k (ours with vehicle will be £74), Campton - wont insure over £70k without reference to the underwritiers and didn't get back to us with a quote. We called the contact number on the NFU website and the lady there didn't know what a 5th wheel was! We have been advised to contact NFU Louth which we will do. Should we be asking for insurance for a 27ft caravan rather than a 5th wheel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Chris and Cliff

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
Zaskar.

Yours looks like a Kountrylite. Why dont you ring Calder and ask who they are recommending at the moment. It's something I will have to do before long.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Zaskar.

Yours looks like a Kountrylite. Why dont you ring Calder and ask who they are recommending at the moment. It's something I will have to do before long.

Thanks Kasey. Have re-newed with Camptons again.

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
Have re-newed with Camptons again.

Did they give you the business cover you wanted. I am hoping to re-new mine with them but have the pickup insured for business use.

Just been on to CC and their policy only covers the pickup & 5th wheeler when connected. How useless is that. The guy I was speaking with even went to confirm that, and, they wont do a seperate insurance for pickup and 5th wheeler although that is what they do for a caravan and car. Der, how stupid are these people.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Did they give you the business cover you wanted. I am hoping to re-new mine with them but have the pickup insured for business use.

Didn't pursue it with Camptons in the end. Although I still have the "set up" insured with them, we ended up adding the Buisness Use to wifey's little Citroen as we have that with us and tend to use it anyway for shopping/siteseeing/banking etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back