Cancelled my C&CC membership today (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I cancelled the continuous CC&C membership direct debt.. taking back control of my money.. I have been cancelling all of the automatic payments that keep coming out of my bank.. Snooper and there camera up date. CC&C and a few others as well... they sneak up on you.

I feel the magazine I get from C&CC is a waste of space... not impressed with there camp sites for RV's and the discounts on the ferries I can do just as well booking direct so that is another £40 saved.

Bob

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I cancelled the continuous CC&C membership direct debt.. taking back control of my money.. I have been cancelling all of the automatic payments that keep coming out of my bank.. Snooper and there camera up date. CC&C and a few others as well... they sneak up on you.

I feel the magazine I get from C&CC is a waste of space... not impressed with there camp sites for RV's and the discounts on the ferries I can do just as well booking direct so that is another £40 saved.

Bob

Bob, you're obviously going to the wrong ones, 1 in about 12 we've been to wasn't RV, or motorhome frankley freindly, and 1 which has apparently been improved now, but hopefully we wont go their again, nice site just walled in, Oban, and Midge holiday camp/slaughter ground.....

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well the last visit to Salisbury did it for us

The last visit to Salisbury did it for us.. they do not like RV's and certainly not trailers. Plus there was a a lot of rather objectionabal goose stepping wardens... very disappointed.. smashing city.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Bob

Paid for the gun then :thumb:

gawatt

Free Member
Mar 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
In the first!
We're still new to all this and joined the C&CC for the list of sites really. I suppose once you have the book and have your list of favourites, there's little point if you've had problems.

The club sites seem a bit expensive if all you want to do is settle in for the night. We've just had our first two nights out in the new van and stayed on CS sites. I'll give the C&CC a go for a year and see if it's worth it after that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The meets & THSs are enough to give us value for the £40. We're unlikely to use the main sites (but no more so than other commercial sites) but have used CSs and will continue to do so.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
some of the issues

We're still new to all this and joined the C&CC for the list of sites really. I suppose once you have the book and have your list of favourites, there's little point if you've had problems.

The club sites seem a bit expensive if all you want to do is settle in for the night. We've just had our first two nights out in the new van and stayed on CS sites. I'll give the C&CC a go for a year and see if it's worth it after that.

Some of the issue is the attitude to motor homes, especially RV's.. while caravans can have a awning and a car parked up beside them.. you try that with a motor home.. they come and measure the room and if you have a car.. has to be left out side the site.

expensive as you say...

Attitude of the wardens is a big issue.

They take a deposit and if you cancel they will not give any credit to a new date... so it can be expensive if there is a change or plans or dates.. They do very much as they wish as a club and in my own view do not pay any heed to members requests. Found there travel side to not be the cheapest.

Bob

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
They take a deposit and if you cancel they will not give any credit to a new date...

Bob
We don't take deposits Bob however, remember CS/CL's etc are limited to 5 vans. people canceling can keep those sites empty. The block booking of the caravan fraternity is enough to drive a site owner mad. They have to try and earn a living (we try to do so without adding extras, dog, awning, car, tent , extra people etc). and at the same time keep prices very low max we can take is £49 per day for the site, hardly covers my fuel to turn up and let people in. To have the site booked and then booking canceled after turning (I wish) people away is not on. However as I say we don't take a deposit anyway so tis immaterial in our case.
I'm sure milad that when a client booked an appointment with you they paid even if they didn't turn up. Do I hear a quote of contract law, breach of agreement etc. your van is a small RV, no bigger than most euroboxes so that should not be a problem, Charging extra for a toad is an abominable practice when compared to a car/caravan situation, trailed I can see an extra parking space being used and in some cases could warrant it. If the CFL's ever get off the ground then I suspect there will be a more tolerant attitude and funsters will be happier for it.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
The C & CC Membership is the one that we use the most. We rarely stay on their sites.

We do go away most weekends in the summer with the Kent Motor Caravan Section. Also thier temporary holiday sites alone would pay the £40 membership a year. I have seen many RV's on these.

Sonja

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I take your point Rodger

We don't take deposits Bob however, remember CS/CL's etc are limited to 5 vans. people canceling can keep those sites empty. The block booking of the caravan fraternity is enough to drive a site owner mad. They have to try and earn a living (we try to do so without adding extras, dog, awning, car, tent , extra people etc). and at the same time keep prices very low max we can take is £49 per day for the site, hardly covers my fuel to turn up and let people in. To have the site booked and then booking canceled after turning (I wish) people away is not on. However as I say we don't take a deposit anyway so tis immaterial in our case.
I'm sure milad that when a client booked an appointment with you they paid even if they didn't turn up. Do I hear a quote of contract law, breach of agreement etc. your van is a small RV, no bigger than most euroboxes so that should not be a problem, Charging extra for a toad is an abominable practice when compared to a car/caravan situation, trailed I can see an extra parking space being used and in some cases could warrant it. If the CFL's ever get off the ground then I suspect there will be a more tolerant attitude and funsters will be happier for it.

I do take your points Roger... but I object to paying months in advance for a pitch.. not just here in the UK but overseas... example last year we booked and paid a hefty deposit for a site we use in France for the pitch.. when we arrived someone was on it and the site fairly empty.. so now I do not pay up front deposits.. if the site is full we can always find another in France.. also said and done a deposit is to cover a loss if the person does not turn up.

But Rodger Solicitors do not take deposits and many a time I have had no shows.. just get on with the pile of paper work.. yes there is a contractual situation, but it is not worth the issues of recovery.

If I book somewhere and plans have to change I would do as I would hope others would do to me.. cancel the booking as soon as I can.. If I have a possible issue I let the organiser or the site know so that they can let the place or pitch as needed. Always done that and will do so until I stop motor homing.

But the C&CC (unlike the CC) seems to have gone deposit mad.. but it is not just the sites, it is the attitude in general even at the district meets.. I need to charge the disabled scooters.. I do not feel I need to beg to do that.. but on the district meets I have found the members to be less than will to be helpful.

These days we pick and chose where we go... mainly shows or trips overseas.. but I am far less enjoying motor homing in recent times than the 25 years I have been active doing it. Starting to re think what I want to do after this season.

Bob

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Deffo some of them treat motorhome and RV owners as second class members. Oxford site Cancelled ON ME and kept my deposit! I was told I could use it to pay for another booking but only there. Thats like getting food poisoning in a restaurant and receiving a voucher for a free meal as an apology!

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
We joined the cc and considered the c&cc. have used some CL's, not really interested in the bigger sites, never paid a deposit and always been pleased. Only been asked if we were members a couple of times, and I bet if we had said no they would have taken us as the sites were both empty.
Is it worth it? don't know but I think it might be, would we join both? probably not.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I don`t see the point of a membership.
We stayed 2 weeks back on a farm site and they demanded my c +cc card before i drove in.
Thing is -- i found the site on the UK campsite web site so what was C+CC club to do with it?

If C+CC just charge for advertising --they wasted their time with me because i found the campsite else where !:thumb:
Why do we need these clubs if we can now access all we need on line? with reviews as well, so we have some idea from real users, what the sies are like.:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
CC do not but C&CC do

We joined the cc and considered the c&cc. have used some CL's, not really interested in the bigger sites, never paid a deposit and always been pleased. Only been asked if we were members a couple of times, and I bet if we had said no they would have taken us as the sites were both empty.
Is it worth it? don't know but I think it might be, would we join both? probably not.

The CC do not charge a deposit.. but the C7CC do charge deposits.

Bob:cry:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is about the registration of a site

We stayed 2 weeks back on a farm site and they demanded my c +cc card before i drove in.
Thing is -- i found the site on the UK campsite web site so what was C+CC club to do with it?

If C+CC just charge for advertising --they wasted their time with me because i found the campsite else where !:thumb:
Why do we need these clubs if we can now access all we need on line? with reviews as well, so we have some idea from real users, what the sies are like.:thumb:

It is about the registration of a site.. I suspect Rodger (Wildman) or JIM could tell you the in's and out's of the issues. But as you say these days you can find a lot of sites on the internet.

The one think I do belong to and get great value from is the ACIS .. that has paid for it's self every year.. plus this year a free carnet which I was paying £5.50 to C & CC for each year.

The discounts that the ACIS give by membership at european camp sites is worth having.

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
It has been the C&CC district meets that decided me

The C & CC Membership is the one that we use the most. We rarely stay on their sites.

We do go away most weekends in the summer with the Kent Motor Caravan Section. Also thier temporary holiday sites alone would pay the £40 membership a year. I have seen many RV's on these.

Sonja

It was the district meets of the C&CC that finally decided me to withdraw.. no generators.. I regret I need to charge my disabled scooters and that means running the genny for a while with consideration... while I always asked I got a lot of flack from the caravan section.. not made very welcome as an RV and I am taking about Kent as that is the district meets I am with.

Bob

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the CC charge a deposit because they suffered a lot of no shows as some folk book 2 or 3 dfferent sites and go or not dependant on the weather.The amount they charge is not excessive. Most CLs I have been to do not charge a deposit.

It would be a good idea for the C&CC do do the same as they quite often suffer the same problem, again usually CS's dont

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

[HI]Why do we need these clubs if we can now access all we need on line?[/HI] with reviews as well, so we have some idea from real users, what the sies are like.:thumb:
Because without the clubs most of the sites would probably not exist. It is the clubs which provide the exemption certificates which enable the sites to operate. Without such a route the owners would have to go through the more complicated (and less certain) process of applying for planning permission so may well be put off.

Some CS/CL owners send details to UK Campsite and other organisations but other entries are sent by "users" completely outside the control of the site owners and clubs. The only places where you will find full (and up to date) listings of all CLs/CSs are on the club sites themselves.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I use C&CC ths and cs sites and never had a problem with running generator. they just restrict the hours within which you can run it and then only for a couple of hours. never had a problem with any wardens either and though the old girl is not the prettiest looker to some, I've always been made welcome:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I'm same as Red Sonja, the DA meets are an inexpensive weekend and they have some cracking venues.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it was the DA meets that had the issues

I use C&CC ths and cs sites and never had a problem with running generator. they just restrict the hours within which you can run it and then only for a couple of hours. never had a problem with any wardens either and though the old girl is not the prettiest looker to some, I've always been made welcome:Smile::Smile::Smile:

It was the DA meets that had the issues with generators.

Bob:Eeek:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I use it a lot for local weekend camping with the local District Association, the East Essex and sometimes the Kent Motorcarvanners, both lots a great crowd, so as far as I am concerned, worth every penny!

S:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm going in the opposite direction Bob, my CC membership expires in June and I am not renewing, however I have joined the Camping and Caravan Club because I prefer the principle of paying a deposit, I believe this free's up more spaces to book because it deters the mass booking mentality prevalent in the Caravan Club.

However to be fair I was at a CC site at Easter and whilst in the reception I overheard Mrs Warden telling a caller that she had just checked on the computer and noticed the caller was already booked in on another site for the same time, if they would care to cancel that booking then ring back she might be able to book them in.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is in effect the difference between them

I'm going in the opposite direction Bob, my CC membership expires in June and I am not renewing, however I have joined the Camping and Caravan Club because I prefer the principle of paying a deposit, I believe this free's up more spaces to book because it deters the mass booking mentality prevalent in the Caravan Club.

However to be fair I was at a CC site at Easter and whilst in the reception I overheard Mrs Warden telling a caller that she had just checked on the computer and noticed the caller was already booked in on another site for the same time, if they would care to cancel that booking then ring back she might be able to book them in.

That is the basis of the difference between them.. CC sites are all sold out on the day they are released by a few mass booking.. the C&CC charge the deposits.. etc.,

Bob

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We used to be members of both clubs CCC & CC back in the 90s when we were tuggers, but now we are just members of the CCC.

Agreed, the magazine is not usually terribly interesting - normally takes 5 - 10 mins to read.

But, I do like the age concession discounts on their own sites - of which there is a reasonable network. Stayed at 4 en route to the Outer Hebrides, just before Easter - all very handy. Didn't bother to book in advance, just rang each site on the day. Oh and we got a friendly and helpful welcome from all the wardens.

And I particularly like the holiday sites, which are outstanding value in mid-summer, when many other sites are v. expensive.

Also use the Certificated Sites from time to time. So all-in-all, not bad value for £39pa. Horses for courses I guess.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the CC charge a deposit because they suffered a lot of no shows as some folk book 2 or 3 dfferent sites and go or not dependant on the weather.The amount they charge is not excessive. Most CLs I have been to do not charge a deposit.

It would be a good idea for the C&CC do do the same as they quite often suffer the same problem, again usually CS's dont

sorry i got them the wrong way round c&cc charge , cc dont but the reason was correct

Blimeyolriley

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Van Coachbuild
Exp
5 years
glad someone raised this topic. We joined CC in our first year RV'ing as we got a decent reduction insuring through the club.
This year we renewed for about the same premium ( after I had asked them to remove the ubiquitous legal cover of £25.00 )and I'm now wondering if we are going to benefit from membership to be honest.

The mag seems to be just a showcase for expensive caravans, motorhomes we cannot afford and those blasted caravan movers that seem to be some sort of status symbol :Doh:
We only managed 3x breaks last year and none of them were in CC sites. We tend to look for small quiet ,adult only sites and unless we were to stay exclusively in CC sites as apposed to where we wanted to stay throughout the year I cannot see how we could benefit from membership.?
Am I missing something ?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hate to disagree but we really like CCC especially the small sites use them all the time.
I do agree about the attitude to Rvs though and its getting worse most CC and CCC sites don't want RVs on their sites. Since we got rid of the Rv 2 years ago we've found a different attitude from sites towards us. Plus we very rarely need to book anymore can always find some site that'll take us.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back