'nother newbie question: carrying passengers? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hello again :Smile:

i was wondering what are the rules on carrying passengers in your motorhome?

I have 4 berths, but only the front 2 seats have seatbelts, so if 4 of us want to go away can the other 2 legally ride on the sofa?

Its a 3-seater sofa-bed, sideways facing. Do I need to have belts fitted (that would seem to be a good idea anyway, required by law or not)? Where do you anchor extra belts inside that's solid enough?

I've heard various things from that you don't need any belts at all, to you can only have passengers in forward-facing, belted seats...

I'm sure the funsters will be able to tell me what the actual requirements are!

Thanks again! :Smile:

Jamie.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm sure the funsters will be able to tell me what the actual requirements are!

Thanks again! :Smile:

Jamie.

50% will say "yes".
50% will say "no".
50% will say "why would you want to ?".
50% will say "only if they are consenting adults".
50% will say "I don't know but someone will".
50% will say "He's wrong, don't listen to him".
50% will say "A friend saw someone nicked in Lithuania for that".

Me I'll say nothing, far less confusing for you.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Children MUST be restrained according to their age/height/weight, No restrsaint = No travel.
Adults must use restraints if they are fitted.
It is illegal to fit restraints to side facing seats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
That's a useful link, and very comprehensive. Tho I'm not sure I'm any clearer :ROFLMAO:

So basically, as my MH was registered before 2007, it does not need to have passengers belted in. But passengers not belted isn't considered a good idea, and the police could get you if they deem it dangerous.

But I see nothing about side-facing belts being illegal as jay mentioned. I'd have thought a side-facing belt would be better than nothing to keep passengers from bobbling about in normal driving, even if it won't do you much good in a collision. It just says that they is no legal requirement for restraints on side-facing seats pre-Oct 2007....

Useful to know that I can still fill my water tank under a hosepipe ban tho ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
i have them

I have two in the cab, two forward facing at the dinette table and one rear facing also at the dinette plus on the settee I have two side lap belts .. So I have 7 belted seats and 1 not belted.

Remember it is an RV.. but it seems to be OK in the USA.. so I will continue to use them... I will do like toad owners do and just make up my own rules to suit:winky:

Bob:Eeek:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But I see nothing about side-facing belts being illegal as jay mentioned.

I think it's specifically lap and diagonal because they could strangle the occupant. Totally irrelevant because in this no-win-no-fee era no-one would dare fit seat belts because they could not certify them fit for purpose.

Some on here have DIYed.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
given that Americans will take anything into court....

I think it's specifically lap and diagonal because they could strangle the occupant. Totally irrelevant because in this no-win-no-fee era no-one would dare fit seat belts because they could not certify them fit for purpose.

Some on here have DIYed.

Given the Americans will take anything in to court .. how do you see the issue Brian of the Americans fitting them on the settee berths as standard kit.. properly bolted in?

Bob

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Given the Americans will take anything in to court .. how do you see the issue Brian of the Americans fitting them on the settee berths as standard kit.. properly bolted in?
Bob

Are you asking me for An Opinion ( let's make this chargeable ) ?

I don't know the Yank constructions and use regulations I suggest the makers do.

That will be 50 guineas, for cash.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
guineas?????

Are you asking me for An Opinion ( let's make this chargeable ) ?

I don't know the Yank constructions and use regulations I suggest the makers do.

That will be 50 guineas, for cash.

I have not seen a guinea charged for a long time ... if i am not wrong it is still used in horse racing only.

The point I was making Brian is that if there was a risk, I am sure the Americans would have long ago stopped fitting the side lap belts, but they still fit them. Given how high there regulations are for safety I would be interested in understanding why it is frowned on in the UK? I can understand how a person my be thrown out of the lap belt in a crash situation.. but cannot see why the yanks would accept it and we would not?

But then it is a bit like toads in Spain .. every juristiction has it's own rules.:winky:

Bob

p.s no you cannot have a fee as we did not enter in to a contract and you did not declare the value before you advised, besides that I can find a good half a dozen other excuses.. being tight is one of them.:Blush:

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Insurance

- take a chance and just do it? You may never have any incidents or stops.

Or

Ask the company what risk they are prepared to take (and they are likely to say no belts so do not carry extra people)

Or,

don't tell them, have an accident with a claim, and watch them dump you right in it and refuse any claim.

Sorry, I think insurance is just as important as the criminal legal seat belt aspect - which is usually a fixed penalty (what are they these days £80?) and points. Financially, refusal of an insurance claim could leave you with nothing.

As has been pointed out earlier, child seat belting laws are different, you have no options - side belted seats are not an option.

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
seatbelts and insurance aside,

have you tried traveling on a sideways faceing seat in a motorhome,

its very strange, uncomfortable and makes the passanger feel like[STRIKE] puking[/STRIKE] they need to hold a bucket

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is it illegal to have seatbelts on side seats? If so I've had quite a few motorhomes that are illegal.

Essentially, if they are not available, then you cannot use them. However this simplicity is muddied by the new rules concerning children which, depending on age and height, a child might have to use the fitted front seatbelt while the adult sits unprotected in the back.

I have in the distant past used side seats with baby carriers that were able to be secured with lap belts but I appreciate it's dangerous. Prospective motorhome buyers with kids should ideally look for motorhomes that have enough 3 point belts for everyone.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Carrying passengers

We contacted ministry of transport they said 12 years or under have to be belted side facing seats do not require belts and can carry passengers but check with your insurance co ours were ok with this :thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
vehicles over 3,500 up to march 2001 dont need them in the front either so i took mine out . hate wearing them anyway. did keep them in the rear seats in the cab though. just in case i have to carry children.
if you dont need it dont fit it. cant fail then.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
While laws were passed in 2006 they gave time for makers to comply so did not come into force until late 2007--
Pre 2007 vans can carry passengers in side facing seats without belts / not required-- or lap belts only on side seats,full belts are considered worse than none because they damage the neck/garotte the wearer:winky: You can also carry rearward facing passengers without belts but forward facing must wear belts.:Smile:
After 2007 all passenger must have belted seats full stop :Eeek:
In all cases if belts are fitted they must be worn.:thumb: unless as Alan points out pre 2001 and above 3.5 ton ::bigsmile:
It is fairly easy to retro fit seatbelts provided you use common sense on anchor points :thumb:
Don't ask me why manufacturers make 6 berth vans with only 4 travel seats :winky:Always strikes me as daft unless it is for visitors ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
vehicles over 3,500 up to march 2001 dont need them in the front either so i took mine out . hate wearing them anyway. did keep them in the rear seats in the cab though. just in case i have to carry children.
if you dont need it dont fit it. cant fail then.

I find that amazing that people still will not use a seat belt and would even remove them so they do not have to wear them:Doh:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Bought our Autotrail specifically for the half dinnette set up which gives two rear forward facing lap and diagonal seat belts mounted on a rigid steel frame secured to the chassis.
So far so good but what about side impact we now have the gran kids strapped into a flimsy ply wood and plastic box and what about all the insecure items that can fly about in an accident. I read a post recently about the possibility of the sink cover board flying forward and causing injuries.
Although i would never consider carrying passengers without belts you just cannot cover every angle can you?

dave e

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave it is all about acceptable risk.If you think about it you would not take the van on the road ::bigsmile: A rear impact will shunt all sorts of cupboards/w/tops forward just the same as a side impact would :Eeek:One woman I know carries a crystal fruit bowl (full )simply stuck to the table with blue tack :whatthe: so the chopping board sounds about right ::bigsmile:How many vans have a fire extinguisher mounted head height on the loo/wardrobe just held in place by the clip ?fancy been clobbered by that:Eeek:
I only have two belts in my van but do carry(more and more)grandson with us.He usually occupies Ann's front seat :ROFLMAO: leaving her to lay on the bed in the rear.:thumb:After a long day they sometimes both go to sleep in the back.Acceptable for us perhaps not for others
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back