Sheepcote Valley, Brighton camp site.. A review (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Short and sweet this

Positive side

Site is well laid out, clean and well maintained

Negative side

Has an infestation of new age travellers parked on the doorstep

Is run by the wehrmacht

Is VASTLY over priced

Although Darrell ( number one son ) has been a member of the Caravan Club for several years he has never actually used one of their sites
His experience over the weekend means that he will NOT be renewing his membership.

Indeed it is good to know he is following in his fathers footsteps at last and will, like me, be sure to advise all not to bother as it is cheaper to join the nazi party and probably more fun !!

Where the hell they get their guards and commandant's from is a mystery... They seem to have no ability to think for them selves, have zero compassion, and either have no understanding of some peoples needs* or simply do not care

An elderly couple I saw could not walk up and down the very steep paths without difficulty.
They were not given the option of one of the many empty pitches at the lower levels.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We agree about the travellers on the doorstep but have been there a few times for a few weeks and have asked to move pitches a few times and they have agreed. We have found tge wardens to be polite with the exception of one and he has now left.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
My best clients came from there

When I was in practice in Brighton, my best clients came from Whitehawk Estate.. just behind the camp site.. would I stay there... no way. I have heard the stories first hand. Plus had to plead for a few of them.. feel safer on Seaford Sea front.. plus there is a good train in to Lewes and Brighton.

Only belong these days to CCC for the club discount on my RV insurance and the tunnel travel.

Bob:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That's odd. We've been there a couple of times and have not had any trouble whatsoever. The wardens at one of those times had a good SOH in fact, one day they had some 'lost' stuff outside the office (things people had handed in, you know?) and a notice saying they would be sending it to Sotheby's for auction if it wasn't claimed, or something like that. So I commented 'If our doormat turns up, let us know' Oh dear where did you leave it? - Quite probably on an Aire in Northern France - but I just thought I'd mention it - in case!

However the last time we went there it was chocka and we couldn't get on so we parked the van up near the cafe on the approach road and off we went into Brighton. Only half the distance to walk back to it, great, had a sandwich then we drove to the CC site at Worthing. It was only after we'd checked in there and came back out to the van we noticed the damage. We'd had an attempted break-in - no doubt by the undesirables who were there then, except we hadn't really sort of thought about the possible implications :Doh:

Insurance paid for it, NP really - but it's a flaming nuisance if you can't even park near there.

The Wardens at Worthing were lovely people and nearby bus to W, then another bus into B. Nice ride all along the coast. Or Lancing etc or other places you might want to go, can't remember exactly.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my clients

That's odd. We've been there a couple of times and have not had any trouble whatsoever. The wardens at one of those times had a good SOH in fact, one day they had some 'lost' stuff outside the office (things people had handed in, you know?) and a notice saying they would be sending it to Sotheby's for auction if it wasn't claimed, or something like that. So I commented 'If our doormat turns up, let us know' Oh dear where did you leave it? - Quite probably on an Aire in Northern France - but I just thought I'd mention it - in case!

However the last time we went there it was chocka and we couldn't get on so we parked the van up near the cafe on the approach road and off we went into Brighton. Only half the distance to walk back to it, great, had a sandwich then we drove to the CC site at Worthing. It was only after we'd checked in there and came back out to the van we noticed the damage. We'd had an attempted break-in - no doubt by the undesirables who were there then, except we hadn't really sort of thought about the possible implications :Doh:

Insurance paid for it, NP really - but it's a flaming nuisance if you can't even park near there.

The Wardens at Worthing were lovely people and nearby bus to W, then another bus into B. Nice ride all along the coast. Or Lancing etc or other places you might want to go, can't remember exactly.

I have been told many a time by clients.. rich picking motor homes... plus it was not far to scarper home after..:Blush::Blush::Blush: one of the highest crime rate areas. No way would I leave my RV i that area... have you seen the security in the Marina.

Bob:Eeek:

Bob

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Having a good sense of humour and being polite does not stop someone being officious, a jobs worth and unhelpful !

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Oh hell. Booked to stay there over May Bank holiday weekend as we have a wedding to go to :cry:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Providing it is a straightforward booking ( as in plot up, and be sure to leave before 12 noon and not one minute later, and you leave 6 metres ( which will be measured if our experience was anything to go by ) all will be well

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well if they didn't have their hardstandings arranged so you would be 6 meteres apart, which they do, it would hardly be your fault. That is CC rules and nowt wrong with it either. I know Aires don't - that doesn't make it advisable.

Sorry Jaws, we're usually on a wavelength about a lot of stuff, but this one I certainly see NP with. You join a club, you look at the rules before you join - if you don't like em - don't join. If the site has a H&S inspection or whatever, Fire inspection etc, and all the units weren't 6m apart, who would be in trouble? - the wardens and the Club not the campers/members. For all I know it may be a sacking offence.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
An elderly couple I saw could not walk up and down the very steep paths without difficulty.
They were not given the option of one of the many empty pitches at the lower levels.

I rarely use club sites but when I have been shown all empty suitable pitches on the site map and been told to choose what ever I liked..

That is certainly not club policy , in fact see Rule 2 b)

b) On arrival pitches may be chosen from those available. However outfit size or weight may require specific pitch allocation. The Warden may refuse entry if outfits are deemed oversize or overweight for the pitches available.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
It's not the pitching up and leaving that bothers me - it's the talk of problems with break ins and New Age Travellers. Stayed on plenty of CC sites with supposed 'idiot' wardens and never had a problem. Only met one jobsworth and that was at a C&CC site

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It's not the pitching up and leaving that bothers me - it's the talk of problems with break ins and[HI] New Age Travellers[/HI]. Stayed on plenty of CC sites with supposed 'idiot' wardens and never had a problem. Only met one jobsworth and that was at a C&CC site

According to your avatar details I thought you were trying to join them:winky:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
According to your avatar details I thought you were trying to join them:winky:

Not anymore. Likely I'll be giving up the fulltiming life by the end of the year. I just don't fancy having any lowlife - whoever they may be - trying to break into my van

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well if they didn't have their hardstandings arranged so you would be 6 meteres apart, which they do, it would hardly be your fault. That is CC rules and nowt wrong with it either. I know Aires don't - that doesn't make it advisable.

Sorry Jaws, we're usually on a wavelength about a lot of stuff, but this one I certainly see NP with. You join a club, you look at the rules before you join - if you don't like em - don't join. If the site has a H&S inspection or whatever, Fire inspection etc, and all the units weren't 6m apart, who would be in trouble? - the wardens and the Club not the campers/members. For all I know it may be a sacking offence.

We were not offered a hard standing option.. we had to go where 'the white posts are'
Far from ideal position but accepted without rancour...

We were instructed to reverse up so the white pitch marking post was in the centre of the van
This we did.. Both vans set up and Goebbels arrived and declared son of mine had to move

To be honest Jen, I think you would have had to be there to fully understand..
We did exactly as asked.. And again, honest truth, if they had not waited till the whole awning and safari room was up I doubt we would have taken umbridge
But one of them watched us set up and it appeared he waited until Darrell had completed the job before stepping in ( literally ! )

I did not join the club.. God forbid !!! I learned ages ago I wanted absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with the whole sorry lot... There was no where else to stay within a reasonable distance of the start and finish of the marathon ..

I think what really capped it off is being told that if we left a minute after 12 noon we would have to pay another day ( £35.50 ) This on the day the whole of Brighton was shut down due to the marathon, so travel within the town was difficult to say the least ( though I do appreciate if a cut of time is posted then so be it.. But to actually SAY a minute past mid day.. Welllll.................... )

Oh, and anyone contemplating paying the £35.50 to park over night should be warned to ensure they take all with them they are going to need as there is NO camp shop.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my scroats ....

Not anymore. Likely I'll be giving up the fulltiming life by the end of the year. I just don't fancy having any lowlife - whoever they may be - trying to break into my van

The dear little darlings (or scripts) I defended went for the one's that had no one in them.. easy pickings is what they wanted. Damage was the issue many a time. what they actually got was far less value than the damage. Sorry to say Brighton area is a high crime area. Mainly fuelled by drugs.. drink used to be part of it, but when I retired it was drugs... burglary provided the money to get them. Did not matter what it was they would nick it.

Had one chap pickup a bike outside cash converters and take it in and tried to sell it.. the bikes owner was in the shop selling something else.. it is that bad. Schools have lots lots of computers.. but they can always seem to find buyers.

Bob:Blush:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Brighton Parking

I've stayed on sheepcote valley site quite a few times with a caravan over the years without any problems, it can get a bit noisy in the summer with all the foreign students camping but have never thought of it as unsafe and the parkland its set in is fantastic for walking the dogs.

Since getting a mhome we have allways free camped either on madeira drive without any problems or the slipway to Shoreham docks where I had my bonnet keyed and had to move in the night as fifty or sixty kids drinking in the adjacent park where starting to be a bit of a nuisance and we didn't feel safe.PS I was warned not to park on the slipway on friday nights
because of the youngsters but I chose not to take any notice.
Alan

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
all I can say is Brighton supports several criminal law practices

I've stayed on sheepcote valley site quite a few times with a caravan over the years without any problems, it can get a bit noisy in the summer with all the foreign students camping but have never thought of it as unsafe and the parkland its set in is fantastic for walking the dogs.

Since getting a mhome we have allways free camped either on madeira drive without any problems or the slipway to Shoreham docks where I had my bonnet keyed and had to move in the night as fifty or sixty kids drinking in the adjacent park where starting to be a bit of a nuisance and we didn't feel safe.PS I was warned not to park on the slipway on friday nights
because of the youngsters but I chose not to take any notice.
Alan

Alan all I can say is Brighton supports several criminal law practices. Always very very busy... while we covered out to Lewes as well as Hove and Shoreham, a lot came from the greater Brighton area. Having worked there for many years I can assure you it is a high crime area, while you have not seen it or experienced it other than being 'keyed' does not mean it does not happen. Does not have to be a Friday night. Pop in to Edward Street magistrates court any morning and see just what has been going on over night or recently.. you may not visit as often if you knew how bad it can be. Brighton is not always the problem. it is the less desirable elements on some of the housing estates. Some honest good people I am sure, but I am talking about what came through my practice door on an average day.

Murder, Rape, theft, drugs, burglary affray, the list was endless... criminal damage like your keyed vehicle is common as is drunkenness. You should see the number of Public Order Offences Sussex police have to issue each year. Thankfully most visitors do not see it. Most campers miss it.. but it does happen.

Bob

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I stayed there years ago in winter. The site was mainly empty but the warden insisted we parked facing a particular way round which was broadside on to a blizzard. We had to move in the middle of the night and have never been back. I am no longer a member of the CC.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
There's crime everywhere and as I have to be in Brighton for a wedding I don't have much choice so will take my chances I guess. If we're not in the van then the 2 dogs will be

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
There's crime everywhere and as I have to be in Brighton for a wedding I don't have much choice so will take my chances I guess. If we're not in the van then the 2 dogs will be

when are you going? as Im booked in there over 25>27 may weekend as part of south coast tour, if its befor then, please post an upto date report if possible, I dont fancy paying to park next to scroats...

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
when are you going? as Im booked in there over 25>27 may weekend as part of south coast tour, if its befor then, please post an upto date report if possible, I dont fancy paying to park next to scroats...

We'll be there May 4th to the 8th. Spoke to a few people who've stayed there without any issues so what the hell. I've spent 2 years on the road around Europe and the UK and most of that with a busted window without any hassle. Will let you know how it goes

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I must admit the N A T we saw seemed peaceful enough..
I mentioned them but was not concerned by their presence .. In fact I would rather have 100 N A T than just ONE automaton CC warden :winky:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have stayed at Sheepcote Valley several times during different times of the year and have never had any problems either with the site or the wardens,maybe we were just lucky.
As a child I stayed there when it was just a council run site in the 1950's then it was a very poor site!!!

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
"Traveller"

I've just phoned the site and a very pleasant lady told me that the "travellers" have gone - obviously she couldn't guarantee they won't return.
The only time I have come across an "Adolf" warden on a CC site was at Edinburgh a few years ago. I was there with a group of about 12 German customers and one of them filled his water tank with water. While this was going on Adolf marched - and I do mean marched - from the office to tell him to stop as this tap was reserved for caravans only! Fortunately I was within earshot and I was able to prevent the rather large German from belting Adolf. Adolf then turned on me and said he would not accept any more groups from my company. I reported this to the Caravan Club and the next time I went to the site (about 6 weeks later) Adolf had gone. The deputy wardens remembered me and told me that Adolf and his wife left a few days after the incident.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well thats amazing !!
A fair few of the vans looked like they had not moved in years, and the woman told us they had been there for almost a year ...

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
several issues here.

I agree to date I have never had anything but help of both sets of major club wardens, but when tenting and caravanning i heard of tales of the officiousness of some, so its not a new issue by any means.

However, if i was so pee'd off this is what i would do if I had decided enough was enough for that 'club'.

First, refuse to move my unit the 6" they want me to, I have paid.

Secondly, get them to call the police to evict you, they cannot.

Thirdly, tell them to take legal proceedings to remove you - its what they have to do to remove travelers and do not forget you have paid.

Thirdly, look for something to sue them for (not sure you can, but it would be fun if you could find something to do with breach of contract - civil law is full of all sorts of old rubbish like that - I am sure being 6" off a centre spot would be regarded as not unreasonable in any court of law).

This assumes you do not want to go on and off during the stay - awning erection indicates you do not intend to leave.

You will find all they can legally do is kick you out of the club and black-ball you. You do not have to co-operate with them in any way in providing additional details to what they already have I think you will find.

Sounds like a nutters response, so I must be getting close to being a true funster..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Well thats amazing !!
A fair few of the vans looked like they had not moved in years, and the woman told us they had been there for almost a year ...

I phoned the CC and then the site this morning and was told the same thing about the NAT being moved on and also that they've had no problems that they're aware of regarding vans being damaged or broken into so we are still going

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As I said, I really had no probs with the NAT folk.. The real ones rarely cause grief and they def were not of the tinker traveller type.. I only mentioned them in passing originally.
Yes, they are a negative but as nothing compared to the rest of our experience !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back