Gas It or Gaslow ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I think we are going to get one or the other, but I am a bit worried about filling up the bottle on forcourts ( has we are going to get the direct fill on the bottle model) do not want to put hole in van, has anyone had any trouble filling bottles up at garages ? should I go gaslow or Gas-it ?

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
gaslow

I am Gas low on my Rapido. 2 x 11kg bottles and external filler. get it professionally fitted and don't worry about hole for external filler. Its well worth it and makes filling so easy. I've never had any bother wherever I go all over France.

Happy camping.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
gas-it is cheaper and I am very happy with the kit I bought, but you pay your money takes your choice.....very few garages will be happy with direct fill method as they will think your refilling normal bottles(without 80%cutoff) so you could find this a hassle.
putting in an outside filler is no big deal and should not present any problems on the forcourt.:thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I am Gas low on my Rapido. 2 x 11kg bottles and external filler. get it professionally fitted and don't worry about hole for external filler. Its well worth it and makes filling so easy. I've never had any bother wherever I go all over France.

Happy camping.

Did you mount the Gaslow filler point in the skirt to the left of the gas locker?

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi

We had gas low on our Elnagh and they mounted the filler in the locker so didn't have to have a hole in the body

Best investment

Cheers
Gary

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

We had gas low on our Elnagh and they mounted the filler in the locker so didn't have to have a hole in the body

Best investment

Cheers
Gary

Dont fancy opening the gas locker door to fill. That's then a give away at the garage telling them that the gas is for domestic use and not for driving the engine.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had gaslow for a couple of years, but changed to gas - it and got the alugas bottles from them, because the are half the weight of steel ones.:thumb: But always an external filler and no problem.

When we sold the last van, just left the filler on the van and cap it so no one can do anything stupid. :Doh: ::bigsmile: Bob.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Did you mount the Gaslow filler point in the skirt to the left of the gas locker?

My original question above was directed to STEVEBOY, the Rapido owner, as I'm wondering whether to go down the Gaslow route, and his vehicle layout is the same as ours :thumb:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
My original question above was directed to STEVEBOY, the Rapido owner, as I'm wondering whether to go down the Gaslow route, and his vehicle layout is the same as ours :thumb:

Hi I have the 990m and our filler point is fitted on the skirt to the left of the locker,easy to fit just make sure you have a good sharp cutter and perhaps tape the area before cutting.:thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I have the 990m and our filler point is fitted on the skirt to the left of the locker,easy to fit just make sure you have a good sharp cutter and perhaps tape the area before cutting.:thumb:

Hi John

Thought that would be the best spot. Unfortunately original owners had an external BBQ point fitted there,
Link Removed
so suspect we will have to think of some adaptation to cover the existing four fixing holes.:Sad:

Incidentally did you go for the black or white gaslow filler?

Last edited:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I moved the black filler from inside locker made refilling gas easyer.:thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a Rapido 983M A class with, Gaslow and the filler inside the locker. WE've had no problems filling up anywhere in UK, France, Spain or Portugal. If it is an attended station the person filling up can see it's a permanent installation they are connecting to. If it's self service the staff normally don;t know or give a stuff.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
gas-it is cheaper and I am very happy with the kit I bought, but you pay your money takes your choice.....very few garages will be happy with direct fill method as they will think your refilling normal bottles(without 80%cutoff) so you could find this a hassle.
putting in an outside filler is no big deal and should not present any problems on the forcourt.:thumb:

:ROFLMAO:I have had a refill adapter for above 6 yrs and never been refused or asked yet ::bigsmile::winky: never ran out of gas either :Smile:
terry

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Canopus.....Here are some photos of the external fill connection for Alugas on our Rapido...........also you will see a BBQ fitting next to it....the Black is the LPG connection..and the white is the BBQ point.

Here is the link to a past post....look halfway down the threads for my post

Broken Link Removed

Mel:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi terry arent normal bottles unrefillable . when you exchange them they throw the unrefillable ones away.
i have had a car refill point since 76 seems to fit most bottles .hee hee.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Mel

As you can see our skirt panel is a lot shorter than yours. :Sad: So going to have to give it some thought as to how to get the two side by side.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 31

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi terry arent normal bottles unrefillable . when you exchange them they throw the unrefillable ones away.
i have had a car refill point since 76 seems to fit most bottles .hee hee.

Mel

As you can see our skirt panel is a lot shorter than yours. :Sad: So going to have to give it some thought as to how to get the two side by side.

Hi Alan I have same as the versions in the photo (canopus-mel) I am pretty sure you can still exchange them -- not that I have recently :thumb::winky:
terry

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Alan I have same as the versions in the photo (canopus-mel) I am pretty sure you can still exchange them -- not that I have recently :thumb::winky:
terry

The thread seems to have gone awol here. :roflmto:

The issue under discussion is whether a gaslow filler point can be mounted on the same small panel which already houses the BBQ point as per the picture in my previous post. :cry:

If not has anyone got any alternative suggestions.

Dont want to mount the gaslow filler inside the locker :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi canopus is there not space at the rear or the locker ????

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mel

Canopus.....yes I can see your point, your lift up or pull out locker is very close...have a word with Dave Newel...he is a MHF member, and from your Photo he may be able to tell you if there is room to put a external lpg point...I would say yes .the outlet is only about 2" square...and the round Gaslow may be smaller....BUT Dave is the professional he will know....not me....it was Dave Newel who fitted my alugas and BBQ point outlet for me:thumb:

Canopus look at the size of your BBQ connection to the size of the orange side light ...it looks the same size as my BBQ outlet.....then look how small the black LPG connection is ...so I think yes there would be room

Mel

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Ken, got our alugas bottles from gas-it, and if you look it says 1 X JIC high flow fill hose – choose length on placing order
They go from .5m up to 3m ::bigsmile: Bob.

See here: Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dave Newell installed an Alugas cylinder in our Burstner. We decided to get just one cylinder initially although the locker is large enough to take two. The locker is very well designed in that the door is just over half its width so plenty of wall to fit the filler point just to the right of the door and at a height to be convenient for filling - see photos.

Attachments

• 2012-04-15-006.jpg
    2012-04-15-006.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2012-04-15-005.jpg
    2012-04-15-005.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 21

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Dave Newell installed an Alugas cylinder in our Burstner. We decided to get just one cylinder initially although the locker is large enough to take two. The locker is very well designed in that the door is just over half its width so plenty of wall to fit the filler point just to the right of the door and at a height to be convenient for filling - see photos.

On the Rapido, the front offside wheel arch is to the immediate right of the gas locker so thats not an option I'm afraid. Thanks anyway:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
On the Rapido, the front offside wheel arch is to the immediate right of the gas locker so thats not an option I'm afraid. Thanks anyway:thumb:

These are the Photo's of the opposite side Ken...Mel

Attachments

• P4160001.JPG
    P4160001.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 9
  • P4160002.JPG
    P4160002.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 10

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Posted this the other day: Just had a 6KG refillable tank fitted to the VW.

Had a Gaslow system on my last motorhome which was brilliant whilst we were touring Europe (no regulator changeovers/obsolete empty tanks etc.) so decided to fit a smaller tank due to space available.

Shopped around and got the GasIT tank for £99 from FES Autogas, (£125 for Gaslow equivalent - they are both made in the same factory!!) and a remote filler for £25 (£84 for Gaslow!)

Fitting was £48 so a full refillable system for under £175.

If you are thinking of doing some serious European touring these are a must - costs about £7 to fill a 6KG tank (10 litres). Probably don't save much over the lifespan it's just the convenience of being able to top-up as you travel.

For more details see:www.gasit.co.uk

From experience you only need one tank - why pay extra for a second tank? that is why you have a refillable one!!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back