ADAC Cover? -PLEASE BE AWARE- (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hello all.

We feel it only fair to pre warn you to reconsider taking out ADAC cover if you have a large MH.
Although I have had three english speaking conversations with Barbara Lorenz of ADAC's membership department, confirming that our large MH would be covered for breakdown and recovery up to 7.5 tonnes, just this week Rita and I have come unstuck big time, due to ADAC's €200 limit for breakdown. :Sad:

Due to an immobiliser failure, ADAC's partner in France sent a recovery vehicle which was not man enough to tow us to the local Fiat agent, 11km away in Narbonne. The hydraulic hoist failed to keep the front of the MH raised off the road, and as a result, we were left stranded by the roadside with 2 x new front tyres, completely ruined. :cry:
We then had to agree to pay out €500 before they would send a suitable recovery vehicle to pick us up.............several hours later.

We are well out of pocket now, and two days behind with our Spanish trip. Relying on the translated information from Barbara Lorenz , has been a costly mistake for us, which we will just have to "grin and bear", although we will be taking up the issue with them.

Regards to all,

Jock & Rita.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Sad to hear this

Sad the hear about your problems and hope they do the right thing by paying all your costs.
Wishing you both all the best and that from now everything goes ok and you have a great holiday with the rest of your time travelling around Europe.
MikeD

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Sad the hear about your problems and hope they do the right thing by paying all your costs.
Wishing you both all the best and that from now everything goes ok and you have a great holiday with the rest of your time travelling around Europe.
MikeD
Many thanks Mike. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jock & Rita sorry to hear of your misfortune please keep us informed how you get on.Are you saying if the engine blew (would cost above 200euros) Adac would not cover the van ?
terry

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi Jock & Rita
Sorry to hear of your problems and we hope they are now sorted
Enjoy the Spanish trip and I am sure you will sort it out onyour return
Steve n Jan

:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi jock and /Rita, I'm really sorry to hear of your problems and you have me really worried now as only just taken out ADAC and like you spoke to Barbara Lorenz. The cover seemed very good indeed. Problems caused by the recovery firm really should be covered by ADAC, after all their cover is specific. You will have the right to sue for out of pocket expences. Paying such a large sum up front appears to be a ripoff on the part of the garage concerned and I do find that worrying after all thats why we take out cover. Do please keep us informed, The outcome may well cost ADAC quite a few renewals next year.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I took out ADAC cover last week. Barbara pointed out to me that France was the only place where we may have to cough up up front, because of soe issue that is peculiar to the French breakdown revovery system. She also said that should that happen we would be reimbursed.

Sorry to hear about your travails - hope it works out for you. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I took out ADAC cover last week. Barbara pointed out to me that France was the only place where we may have to cough up up front,[HI] because of soe issue that is peculiar to the French breakdown revovery system. [/HI]She also said that should that happen we would be reimbursed.
:

This particular French rule only applies on Autoroutes where only the official recovery company is allowed to operate.. you pay upfront and apply for reimbursement from whoever you have breakdown insurance with..

EDIT

there was a notice about this in an earlier thread ..

Broken Link Removed

More information

http://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/French-Roads

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think the point is being missed if i read Jocks post right
He seems to be saying the maximum cost of recovery is limited to 200 Euros:whatthe:
absolutely usless amount when larger vehicles are in need of recovery

I also suspect that most Euro recovery firms are used by ADAC and they will all be aware of the tiny limit set by ADAC hence, if the cost is more they want it up front.
I also believed that repatriation was covered if your vehicle could not be fixed in a reasonable time, a 200Euro limit aint going to pay for that is it:Doh:
looks like a lot of members are going to get disappointed
Geo
PS it looks like faulty equipment caused his tyres to get damaged by scrubbing them out as the hydraulics failed whilst trying to to move him
If Jocks van was too heavy the hydraulics should'nt have lifted him in the first place, a safety cut off valve would have prevented it doing so,
By virtue of the fact it did, and then allowed the lift to drop the van onto its front wheels whilst being towed indicates a hydraulic leak or failure

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
He seems to be saying the maximum cost of recovery is limited to 200 Euros:whatthe:

yes indeed Geo .. the €200 towing limit is abysmal .. as you say, pretty much useless if you are over 3.5t ..

The T&Cs in English are on our download section,

Link Removed

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Sorry to hear of your problems Jock.

On hearing of your situation I had a look at the Breakdown section of my policy with Comfort and copy below the wording. There is an overall limit of £2,500 in respect of costs arising from a breakdown but no individual limit on the recovery costs. In this respect the cover seems more advantageous than the ADAC one.

SECTION READS-

Breakdowns on continental motorways

If you break down on a continental motorway use

the roadside emergency telephones.

You cannot normally call RAC Control Centres from

these. You will be connected to the police or

authorised motorway service, who will send a

breakdown recovery vehicle. In France the same

procedure applies on motorway service areas. You

may have to pay labour and towing charges on the

spot and an authorised tariff is normally applicable.

However, this will only be to the recovery company's

own depot in the case of any tow. These items are

covered and you should obtain a receipt to claim a

refund on your return home.

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to hear of your problems Jock.

On hearing of your situation I had a look at the Breakdown section of my policy with Comfort and copy below the wording. There is an overall limit of £2,500 in respect of costs arising from a breakdown but no individual limit on the recovery costs. In this respect the cover seems more advantageous than the ADAC one.

SECTION READS-

Breakdowns on continental motorways

If you break down on a continental motorway use

the roadside emergency telephones.

You cannot normally call RAC Control Centres from

these. You will be connected to the police or

authorised motorway service, who will send a

breakdown recovery vehicle. In France the same

procedure applies on motorway service areas. You

may have to pay labour and towing charges on the

spot and an authorised tariff is normally applicable.

However, this will only be to the recovery company's

own depot in the case of any tow. These items are

covered and you should obtain a receipt to claim a

refund on your return home.

Mike
I have been assured the same happens with ADAC s cover you claim the money back-from my understanding only the French recovery firm is allowed to recover you off the m/way etc then Adac s take over either to a repair shop or home etc you choose
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
sorry to hear the news

Sorry to hear the news, and I hope you will keep us all up dated on your return and how it turns out.

While I have ADAC I also have Safeguard insurance on my RV and that has a much higher recovery for motor homes or RV's over 3.5 tons up to 7.5 tons... over £2k under £3.5 tons it is lower for some reason.

I do not travel the toll routes myself... but if I am not wrong the rules also apply to duel carriageways which are not tolls.

ADAC has a lot of cover for the money. I am sure they will act as we expect as members and sort out the costs.. but always get a receipt.

Bob:thumb:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Just to point out that only being recovered by authorised companys from certain roads in france is not only limited to toll roads but motorways as well we had first hand experience of this. (did not need towing off as I repaired the fault before they arrived::bigsmile:)
On breaking down I of course phoned Flux rescue asssistance from my mobile and was told to use roadside phone and when rescue driver arrived to phone back and a french speaking operator would handle things from there.Do not know what would have happened then as did not get that far.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

I also suspect that most Euro recovery firms are used by ADAC and they will all be aware of the tiny limit set by ADAC hence, if the cost is more they want it up front.
I also believed that repatriation was covered if your vehicle could not be fixed in a reasonable time, a 200Euro limit aint going to pay for that is it:Doh:
looks like a lot of members are going to get disappointed
Geo
PS it looks like faulty equipment caused his tyres to get damaged by scrubbing them out as the hydraulics failed whilst trying to to move him
If Jocks van was too heavy the hydraulics should'nt have lifted him in the first place, a safety cut off valve would have prevented it doing so,
By virtue of the fact it did, and then allowed the lift to drop the van onto its front wheels whilst being towed indicates a hydraulic leak or failure
You're absolutely bang on there old chap. :roflmto:

Seriously, you are spot on Geo, in every aspect of your reply.
Despite my voiced reservations, my efforts to show the first operator the VIN plate and the converter's plate whilst he was on the phone to his control, and the production of the V5 stating the GVW as 5000Kgs, they obviously thought that they knew better.
And when second matey turns up with the IVECO cab type recovery dolly, and I again express my concerns about it's capability, he still carries on...........regardless what information or concerns the MH owner tries to convey to the operator.............he/she still knows better. Absolute bo##ocks.

When taking out the policy, I (rightly or wrongly), understood the €200 limit to apply only to the French Autoroutes, (as per the explanation of French Autoroute rules above), and not as a limit in total. How naive was I, eh?

Many thanks to all, (too many to mention individually), who have wished us well with our plight. We will try to keep you all informed of progress......................if any. :Sad:

Best regards to all,

Jock & Rita.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
You're absolutely bang on there old chap. :roflmto:

Seriously, you are spot on Geo, in every aspect of your reply.
Despite my voiced reservations, my efforts to show the first operator the VIN plate and the converter's plate whilst he was on the phone to his control, and the production of the V5 stating the GVW as 5000Kgs, they obviously thought that they knew better.
And when second matey turns up with the IVECO cab type recovery dolly, and I again express my concerns about it's capability, he still carries on...........regardless what information or concerns the MH owner tries to convey to the operator.............he/she still knows better. Absolute bo##ocks.

When taking out the policy, I (rightly or wrongly), understood the €200 limit to apply only to the French Autoroutes, (as per the explanation of French Autoroute rules above), and not as a limit in total. How naive was I, eh?

Many thanks to all, (too many to mention individually), who have wished us well with our plight. We will try to keep you all informed of progress......................if any. :Sad:

Best regards to all,

Jock & Rita.

So sorryt to hear about your plight Jock, ADAC is responsable for the damage caused by the recovery driver to the tyres as they are the agent of ADAC and you should be able to get a full refund on your 500oo euros as well as your vehicle is under 7.5t therefore should be covered up to 200 euros for a local tow to nearest gge, and if not repairable then onward recovery to the UK or your destination if no more cost, for repairs , the 200 euros is only for the local tow or roadside repair, do hope you get your 500 euros back and the 2 new tyres replaced by ADAC as they are responsable for there agents damage, Please keep us informed Jock and again best of luck mate Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
So sorryt to hear about your plight Jock, ADAC is responsable for the damage caused by the recovery driver to the tyres as they are the agent of ADAC and you should be able to get a full refund on your 500oo euros as well as your vehicle is under 7.5t therefore should be covered up to 200 euros for a local tow to nearest gge, and if not repairable then onward recovery to the UK or your destination if no more cost, for repairs , the 200 euros is only for the local tow or roadside repair, do hope you get your 500 euros back and the 2 new tyres replaced by ADAC as they are responsable for there agents damage, Please keep us informed Jock and again best of luck mate Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
Many thanks Garry,

Rita and I hope that you are right in your analysis of ADAC's terms and conditions. Until we get home and post off the claim with a supporting letter, we won't know the outcome of it all.

The front tyres were replaced (like for like), by ADR, the recovery agent, before we left Narbonne.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Last year in France a kamakaze Seagull flew into the glass in the over cab bedroom completely demolishing the glass. ADAC were useless, and left me stranded in France. After many calls to ADAC over three days for assistance I gave up and called Euro Glass who helped out.

Last month I called ADAC again because of a flat battery and was told by the AA that they would not come out as the vehicle is bigger then 2.5 tons in weight, so called ADAC who confirmed this, and was advised to find and call out a commercial recovery unit and then claim the money back.

Needless to say we will not be taking out ADAC recovery again, very unimpressed with them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Last year in France a kamakaze Seagull flew into the glass in the over cab bedroom completely demolishing the glass. ADAC were useless, and left me stranded in France. After many calls to ADAC over three days for assistance I gave up and called Euro Glass who helped out.

Last month I called ADAC again because of a flat battery and was told by the AA that they would not come out as the vehicle is bigger then 2.5 tons in weight, so called ADAC who confirmed this, and was advised to find and call out a commercial recovery unit and then claim the money back.

Needless to say we will not be taking out ADAC recovery again, very unimpressed with them.
Did all this happen in France ?
terry

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
This thread highlights some very serious issues regarding ADAC who until now have received many commendations from Funsters.
Apart from the incompetency of the towing agent the central theme seems to be we don't understand exactly what we are paying for if we join ADAC.
There could be many reasons why this is the case and it seems the only people who can authoratively answer our questions is ADAC themselves.

I wonder, and perhaps Jim might help, could the thread be sent to ADAC giving them a public right of reply to our very serious concerns over the service they are offering.

I must confess I have a personal concern as I am/was seriously considering joining ADAC, but as I now have N + B Arto I am wondering, in the light of this thread, if they will be able to offer the service I need.

Norman

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Already asked see below -the problem is restricted to France :Smile:
Broken Link Removed
terry

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Already asked see below -the problem is restricted to France :Smile:
Broken Link Removed
terry

Sorry Terry I could not find an answer to this from ADAC themselves. There were lots of personal experiences but nothing concret from AdAc.

Norman

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Norman,------- Barbara from ADAC asked if I could reply on Adac behalf -she said if anyone had questions you could contact her to ask -- The issues only happen in France:Smile: see my reply on 24 / 4 /12 on the link previously- unfortunately SHE COULD NOT QUITE GET THE TRANSLATION TO GO ONTO FUN hence asking me to reassure people ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ALL sorry about the late reply.Barbara phoned me this morning as promised (just as I was going out of the door for Whitby -only just got back in ) She asked if I could assure the people on the forum that there is nothing to pay anywhere in Europe other than in France (I will not write what she called the French) If it happens in France get a reciept (make a copy for yourself) and send original to ADAC head office in Munich for a full refund.
The 200 euro limit is to get you recovered to a nearby garage to repair your vehicle they have deals in place with there partners (except France)that allow upto 180 km for the 200euro for this purpose.If the van cannot be repaired that day or is going to take upto 3 days they will pay for you (all) in a hotel for 3 days/nights or give you a hire car for 7 days which ever you want.Once the repair is done (within 3 days) they will then return the van to you be that at your home or hol destination.Once it is established the repair cannot be done within 3 days (be that straight away IE blown engine etc,)then the recovery home kicks in for which there is no charge what so ever Obviously if you elect to have a repair done you have to pay for it.In all cases you have the choice,repair/hotel/car hire or recovery
Barbara hopes this clears up any confusion that has occurred,but if anyone has any questions please ring her.
terry

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Norman,------- Barbara from ADAC asked if I could reply on Adac behalf -she said if anyone had questions you could contact her to ask -- The issues only happen in France:Smile: see my reply on 24 / 4 /12 on the link previously- unfortunately SHE COULD NOT QUITE GET THE TRANSLATION TO GO ONTO FUN hence asking me to reassure people ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ALL sorry about the late reply.Barbara phoned me this morning as promised (just as I was going out of the door for Whitby -only just got back in ) She asked if I could assure the people on the forum that there is nothing to pay anywhere in Europe other than in France (I will not write what she called the French) If it happens in France get a reciept (make a copy for yourself) and send original to ADAC head office in Munich for a full refund.
The 200 euro limit is to get you recovered to a nearby garage to repair your vehicle they have deals in place with there partners (except France)that allow upto 180 km for the 200euro for this purpose.If the van cannot be repaired that day or is going to take upto 3 days they will pay for you (all) in a hotel for 3 days/nights or give you a hire car for 7 days which ever you want.Once the repair is done (within 3 days) they will then return the van to you be that at your home or hol destination.Once it is established the repair cannot be done within 3 days (be that straight away IE blown engine etc,)then the recovery home kicks in for which there is no charge what so ever Obviously if you elect to have a repair done you have to pay for it.In all cases you have the choice,repair/hotel/car hire or recovery
Barbara hopes this clears up any confusion that has occurred,but if anyone has any questions please ring her.
terry

Terry,
Many thanks for this as I am sure the thread was as disturbing for many others as it was for me. It is great this has now been officially been cleared up and explained in simple English, for simple folks like to understand.
Because of this assurance I shall be seriously looking to book European cover with ADAC later this year.

Norman

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
ADAC

Did all this happen in France ?
terry

The seagull. glass in France.

Flat battery at home in UK. AA who contract to ADAC in UK will not respond to vehicles over 2.5 tons, you have to call out commercial rescue and get the money back off of ADAC.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Flat battery at home in UK. AA who contract to ADAC in UK will not respond to vehicles over 2.5 tons, you have to call out commercial rescue and get the money back off of ADAC.
As far as I am aware ADAC do not do home starts anyway.

OP
OP
JockandRita

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi all,

Rita and I are home now, and I will be sending off our detailed report of ADAC's recovery partner's incompetence, along with receipts for "all" out of pocket expenses.
I'll keep you all updated of any progress. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi did you query this through ADAC as they assure me this is not the case ? Also the AA cover vehicles up to 3.5t anything over and you need CC /AA -I am 4.2 ton and I was told no problem for a recover to garage or home if no fix available
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back