What did you forget the first time?(Keep it clean) (1 Viewer)

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Two weeks today my newly acquired camper will be sitting on my drive, but because the previous owner has upgraded I won't be getting any extra bits, as I might if someone was giving up.

My wife and I have started making independent lists and we are planning to spend our first night on a local campsite, which will hopefully highlight anything else we need before we discover that whatever it was in 250 miles north of where we are.

I would be interested to hear what other members left behind on their first trip and also anything which is essential, but we might miss as beginners.
Cheers, John

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
better to spend a couple of nights on the drive free then if you do forget anything its a short walk into the house for it if you have it in the house in the first place that is:Cool:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
There's method in my madness.

The reason for going to the site is that we can check out the power hook up, which I can't do at home as I haven't got an outside round socket. It might also keep whatever credibility I have left with my neighbours.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Dont forget your wellies.

Then you're guaranteed nice weather.

Forget them and it'll surely rain.

June

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Back when we started, many moons ago LOL

We went out in our old bedford with all mod cons, other than a fridge or a loo (happy happy days indeed) and somehow forgot the coolblocks for the coolbox. All the food started to deteriorate within 24 hours (it was mid summer) so we went on a trek to get more food and find a camping shop that sold the blocks. Remember back then such shops were quite rare and there was no such thing as a SatNav.

Many years later we often look back on how happy we were and question why, as we now dont go anywhere without laptop. tv and god only knows what else that has been accumulated over the years between.

One good thing though is that if you do forget something, it can normally be replaced easily and cheaper than the fuel to pop home in most cases. If your a seasoned camper, you will know that most problems can be overcome with what you normally carry in the van. You only need what you will actually use, so when making a list, start imagining arriving on site and jot down what you will need (Kettle, mugs, beer???) and go on from there, including bedding and clothes.

A piece of advice I have given many times over the years, often when selling a van to new campers, is to set it up on your drive as if your on a campsite. If your sat on a chair drinking a cup of coffee brewed in the van, youve pretty much got it right

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The reason for going to the site is that we can check out the power hook up, which I can't do at home as I haven't got an outside round socket. It might also keep whatever credibility I have left with my neighbours.::bigsmile:

Ignore the neighbours theyre only jealous:ROFLMAO:

You can either get or assemble an adaptor cable or fit an outdoor weather resistant socket very cheaply. The 16amp blue 2pin and earth external sockets used on campsites can be bought for under £10. Make sure the circuit you connect to indoors is properly protected though

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
When we bought our very first van we decided to spend that night on a quiet and almost empty site in Thetford, not far from home. The only thing we forgot was the gas spanner. Luckerly we ate out before we arrived as we could not turn the gas on so had no way to boil the kettle for a drink or cook, or have any heating. The campsite owner had no tools either. We went home early the next morning. It did not put us of motorhoming, we are just more preparerd now.
Remember the gas spanner:Smile:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Cooking is already covered.

I've got a portable cook kit which includes all the herbs, spices etc. I might need, already boxed from camping. I'll be down in Dorset in about three weeks, so hopefully there might be some early mackerel around. My list includes essentials such as fishing rods, metal detector etc., but because I do cookery demonstrations as part of my current job I have a second set of cooks knives, bowls and chopping boards.

I'm looking forward to following the seasons round Britain and cooking whatever is in season, so hopefully I won't find too much work to keep me here.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
check gas supply, check hab. battery state, ehu cable, hose pipe to fill water tank if onboard, (if not aquaroll or similar), couple of outside chairs, and usual pots and pans,cutlery, corkscrew,tin opener, bedding and pillows, washbag with needed kit for self and clothes,
if you park on a slope you will need leveling ramps the list can go on and on.
Sorry i forgot nothing and i had to take everything to spain with me to pick my van up

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We forgot the map !

Kinda useful when your satnav packs up:Doh:

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
There's always one :)

Women hate that::bigsmile:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You referred at the beginning to not being able to plug in at home, then another Funster identified the necessary 13 amp to 16 amp adapter lead. Regardless of the neighbours' jibes, you will need to plug in before you go, and after returning home. Firstly to ensure you have fully charged batteries and to cool the fridge. This requires about 24 hours with the fridge set to mains input (unless it's an AES fridge that is). Secondly, on returning, to restore the batteries to full charge before laying up the van for any length of time. Batteries are best kept fully charged and it can take quite a long run to recharge them from the alternator. Obviously this depends on how many leisure batteries you have and what capacity they are - also how much you take out of them whilst camping.

Regarding things to forget, I find that I am more likely to forget the odd item now, five years on from starting our motorhome experience - familiarity breeding blasé forgetfulness I suppose. Have you got: ramps for levelling, matches in case the hob igniter doesn't work, torch, basic tools, first aid kit, chamois leather / squeegee in case condensation forms inside the windows. Does your van have any items that have to be stowed for travel and if so, can they be secured without rattling? For example, ours (over-garage bed) has loose head and toe boards that store behind part of the shelf at the back of the bed. We use a large rubber wedge to stop them sliding about.

Good luck and enjoy getting used to the van.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Last Friday , before setting off to the Patley Bridge show ground for a long weekend we almost forgot 1 of the dogs:Blush:

Everything was packed , kids in , essential ipads etc:RollEyes: engine turning.
Ralph asked me , "Did you put Ruby in the cage ?"
"No, did anyone else ?"
"No ! :Eeek:" said the kids

Awwwww poor 14 year old ,Ruby forgotten by everyone. :cry:
Was she bothered ?
No , she was fast asleep in the lounge on her bed. Didnt know what all the fuss was about.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Only thing that springs to mind is our first meet with Fun which was at Peterborough

We got 15 miles down the road and realised the tickets were on the kitchen table :Eeek:

I was NOT in the best of moods when we got to the show and poor old Pamela got the sharp end of my tongue.. reason ? Well as said it was our first show.. £40 for a ticket and when I arrived and found we did not have any electric and were MILES from the loo's I was singularly unimpressed

But that was then and this is now.. Nowadays all we want is a field and the load of loony's referred to as the Funsters !!

Bill123

Free Member
Jul 7, 2011
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Lancashire
Exp
New to it all!
Gas spanner!! We forgot ours and after our first night in a car park, had to borrow a pair of mole grips from a man building a dry stone wall who must have thought we were nuts!!

The first thing I bought when we got back from our first trip was a big roll of that non-slip matting stuff. Comes in very handy for stopping rattles, etc. I've cut up squares and put these between the plates, under the oven trays, and wrap it around bottles. Comes in very handy.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
First weekend out it p*ssed down.
Realised whaat I'd forgotten when it came to fill up the water tank and sort out the EHU.
A BLOODY HAT!

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I wear contact lenses and usually wear these all day and put my glasses on of an evening to watch TV.

Last holiday I forgot my glasses, which was a right pain as I could not see TV whilst in bed::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I took everything for 2 x dogs and 2 x cats (inc cat medications needed) and forgot my own meds.

Don't forget:
Carbon Monoxide detector (ESSENTIAL)
First aid kit.
Small tool kit.
Wellies and socks (cold feet=misery)
a waterproof per person.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Some interesting answers and good point.

Thanks every body for replying. We went through a phase a few years ago of forgetting corkscrews when we were camping. I do most of the cooking when we are away and I don't drink, so for me wine is something you put in a casserole, but my wife does, hence the collection of corkscrews in the botto drawer.
Cheers, John

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have two sets of keys for my van. On one occassion when I hadn't had it long I took only one set, which wasn't the set I normally used.
We got 20 odd miles up the road and I thought I would fill up with diesel before getting near the M25 (when the prices start going up) and found that my second set of keys did not have one that fitted the filler cap :Doh: We had to drive all the way back home to get the other set of keys.
Needless to say I got another key cut pronto.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We set off on an icy February day having hurriedly transferred virtually everything from the caravan. When we got to the site we couldn't find the water hose, it was dark and it was buried in some hidden corner. The warden kindly brought his hose to the only available tap but his hose was frozen, it was very cold. Still no problem, the warden brought a 10 litre container and we soon had enough water to last the night.
On to the pitch and time to sort out how everything worked. We switched on the pump, that was fine so we set about organising the van contents. Some minutes later, the pump was still working. The thermal valve (?) was still open and all our hard gained water was forming a rink under the van. Fortunately we found the corkscrew.
So what did we forget? Common sense? Foresight? Unfortunately we couldn't keep it clean, we had no water.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Buy Contact Lenses at discounts like 10% off for new registered customers. Order contact lenses bulk and save money on shipping and delivery charges! Buy discount contact lenses with most top brands and major products at lowest and rebate prices up to 70% off on all types of contact lenses, solutions at www.I-Am-A-Spammer.com

:spam::youbetcha:

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
You don't have to go to the lengths of printing this out and laminating it as we did (but it helps :thumb:) but we all use this, with a few of our own additions, every trip Link Removed

A spare screw-to-switch-off nozzle for the water hose is useful in case you fire the end into your fresh water tank as I did on our very first site :ROFLMAO:
Mind you, we use a push on connector now :winky:

I also have a laminated sheet which hooks over the steering wheel headed "STOP" and then listing the useful little things to do before you move off......Raise the Steadies; Disconnect the EHU; Reverse off the Ramps; Turn off the Gas; Close and secure all doors and lockers.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Toilet paper.....................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back