Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
My Renewal on Scenic Insurance has went up £10.00 per month or 20% and nothing changed.

They are taking the P**S.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
arent you the lucky one !

mine went up over 50% with NFU......i walked away :thumb:

got it elsewhere for slightly more than the previous year but a much better policy

OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
It always amazes me that the new policy lines are open late but current policy lines close at 5.30:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This seems to be happeneing throughout the insurance industry. Our trade policy two years ago was £350, last year £780 - this year they wanted £1590.....full no claims, clean licences etc.

So I started looking around - the attitude seemed to be uniform with 'take it or leave it' and policies that seem to be VERY restrictive, such as things like, no performance cars, no french cars, no swedish cars etc etc.

Prices were all similar - but the attitude made me think.....why would insurers not seem to want the business? There is a recession on...then it hit me, cutting risk.....if they go onto 'tick-over' with enough customers to pay the bills etc, then they do not want any more custom (or risk) If they want to pay for high premiums, then they will take them, if not, then they are not bothered - which is why last year they would try to keep your custom and this year they just say 'Bye then!' and put the phoe down.

I was discussing this with a friend of mine, who was going through a similar experience, and could not beleive the attitude with insurers who really didn't want to know!

We should take names and black list them!::bigsmile:

Blimeyolriley

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Van Coachbuild
Exp
5 years
my renewal premium went up last week by £29.00 I asked the girl at the CC what the cover was and sure enough they had added legal cover which I'd not requested .!
Once they removed that my premium was pretty much the same as last year.

I'm going to check how many of my other insurance policies have unwanted legal cover included grrrr

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I do not want legal cover

my renewal premium went up last week by £29.00 I asked the girl at the CC what the cover was and sure enough they had added legal cover which I'd not requested .!
Once they removed that my premium was pretty much the same as last year.

I'm going to check how many of my other insurance policies have unwanted legal cover included grrrr

I do not want legal cover.. I do it myself:Blush: one advantage of being a retired lawyer.

Bob

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
WTF!!!!!!

Here's a good one: I cancelled my van insurance with the AA yesterday. It was taken out on 28 July last year at a cost of £590 and actually cancelled on 2nd April this year - refund due...£55!!:cry:

Rationale: and I quote ' Well first we deduct legal expenses cover premium then the van hire cover (£45), then we work out pro rata cover to date and number of days left till renewal and work out premium refund (£155)...oh and then we deduct our £50 admin fee :Eeek:and the broker £50 admin fee:Eeek: which leaves £55...simples!:Doh:

They are robbing shisters the lot of them...even the guy I spoke to at AA was appalled and suggested I complain!!!:swear:

I said that I would just write it off as a loss through my company and get a tax rebate..:ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It always amazes me that the new policy lines are open late but current policy lines close at 5.30:roflmto:

The secret is, dial a new policy line. They will answer after two rings. Then, just act daft.

Jim
:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
The secret is, dial a new policy line. They will answer after two rings. Then, just act daft.

Jim
:Cool:

Problem with that one is they can trace your old policy etc through post code, brokers have to disclose the amount of commission they recieve if you ASK them.

One way of getting them to sharpen pencil !

Peter

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
My Renewal on Scenic Insurance has went up £10.00 per month or 20% and nothing changed.

They are taking the P**S.
My insurance is due in three weeks. Have done the usual ringing round everyone and the price difference is amazing. All my comparison was on a like for like basis. Most companies have Aviva as the underwriters so roughly the same price should come back. This is where the greed kicks in and you find the brokers who are after massive bucks. My quotes ranged from £505 with a very well known company down to £291, all with Aviva. I settled with my company of last year who cover everything and only had a price rise of £15, the insurance factory. The small print has once again changed and some who include recovery exclude tyre changing or cover if you are not carrying a spare wheel. Who knows what they will exclude next year.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I paid £209 last year with Scenic, renewal this year £280. Phoned The Insurance Factory got it for £176 with Highway (part of Liverpool Victoria). Next year I'll phone round again and probably get offered 30% introductory discount with Scenic, that seems to be how they work.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Hope you watched watchdog this evening, they are investigating that very thing.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had the renewal for my 4x4 through afew weeks back and coughed when I saw the premium had gone up by £50. So I hit the internet and I phoned round for quotes expecting to beat the price easily. No claims, no convictions and years of experience, so not a boy racer (I wish).

Prices came back starting £300 more than renewal of £427 up to £2000. I even got bombarded with calls from various brokers that got my details from the search sites. Nobody could even get close and one guy was extra helpful and told me to pay the renewal quickly in case they had made an error.

It transpires that a 4x4 pickup truck is now classed as high risk due to the numbers being driven by youngsters and also over tuned and all manner of silly accessories added. Its irrelevant that I match none of those desriptors as all must be treated the same apparently. In addition the cost of covering uninsured drivers and the changes in the law that prevent discrimination between men and women drivers coming into force, will see ALL insurances increase this year by a substantial amount.

This insurance game is getting to be a huge con if you ask me..... Fine charge the kids and inexperienced drivers over the odds (some are paying in excess of £5000), but surely it should not cost more than 10% of the vehicles value for a low risk driver with 15+ years of no claims? At that rate we will be paying nearly £4000 for many new motorhomes.... utter madness. Higher prices lead to more uninsured drivers so we all have to pay more for our insurance to protect ourselves against them. Its easy.... if you drive uninsured you lose the vehicle and get 6 points on your licence first time, second time lose the vehicle and go to prison. Similar for foreign visitors, but large fine and get deported same day...all documents to be checked at point of entry..... will stop all the uninsured eastern european lorries and vans that are on our roads. DVLA may have your details and big brother knows where it is if your vehicle is registered in the uk, but what about the masses of others?

Better idea still charge all visitors, whether lorries cars or whatever a road tax and insurance to cover their visit. That would level the playing field for our hauliers too

OP
OP
meexi

meexi

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Angus,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B694
Exp
since 2011
Well i phoned them up explaned that the renewall was way to expensive and the guy said he would look into it after much pressing of buttons came up with a quote of only £1.00 more per month of my old quote.

Result:Smile:

pays to call there bluff sometimes

Blimeyolriley

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Van Coachbuild
Exp
5 years
typical:RollEyes: I suppose they rely on most people not questioning the renewal quote.
Best check the small print on the new policy to make sure they haven't increased your excess to £16 trillion :roflmto:

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
:Smile:
last year after advice from funsters I phoned frank pickles
and payed £266.90 including uk and european b/down
cover. Renewal notice came early April £277.40 pretty much
same cover. Less than 4% increase I was well chuffed.:thumb:

Blimeyolriley

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Van Coachbuild
Exp
5 years
thats a good price if its not your main no-claims-bonus vehicle insurance.
Hopefully more insurance companies will offer multi-car insurance cover soon

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I paid £306 last year with an extra tenner for an agreed value, got my renewal through from Adrian Flux for £301, which includes the agreed value. I generally use Adrian Flux as they are local to me and are quite ameniable to walking in and haggling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back