Didn't think this actually happens! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Parked on a C&CC site .A caravan has just come inand parked up. The first thing the driver has done is go fill up the Fire Bucket and place it by his tow hitch.
Didn't think anyone actuall did this , thought it was a myth!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Parked on a C&CC site .A caravan has just come inand parked up. The first thing the driver has done is go fill up the Fire Bucket and place it by his tow hitch.
Didn't think anyone actuall did this , thought it was a myth!

As has been said previously, no use for a van/m-home fire, but the C&CC still has a lot of tent campers and a few seconds saved before finding the official fire systems could save some serious burns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I bet he got his tape measure out as well

I bet he got his tape measure out and put it 6" out and 6" forward of the front wheel.

Just love them... Ezzie is often found with her head in someones fire bucket.. she loves it.. leaves a load of slobber in there after she has had her drink.

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
One man and and his DOBlo had one ready for use in Chester. I used it to dunk my head to try and sober up a little:roflmto:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Can see the sense in doing this if you have an enclosed awning or are in a tent. Not sure how much good one bucket of water would do but if I light a garden fire I always have the hose at the ready or a couple of full buckets nearby just in case. I can be a bit accident prone........

(And we do have the true family story of the dog that set the shed alight --and yes, that went on the insurance claim form, and they paid out for a new shed)

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
We are in C &CC club and have a red fire bucket, its always filled at front of van wherever we are, kids put rubber ducks in it usually, we have done it for years, not sure why everyone thinks its amusing as it has helped put out fires in the past, yes it maybe old fashioned but it works and is no trouble to do and if it saves lives and units then I am happy to do it.
I assume that it comes from the club having tents and trailer tents so the sytem worked very well putting out the flames.
It actually is a club rule for rally sites.

We do have fire blanket and extinguisher as well as our fire bucket!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
personally i cant think of anything more dangerous......

a bucket (or many buckets) of water on a fire of unknown source...possibly electrical. :Eeek:

if club sites expect this then they should, at least. provide a sand heap to fill your bucket.

even tents have electric hookup now and generators have no RCD protection. :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can't speak for the CC, but according to a recent item in their magazine the C&CC only insist on fire buckets at temporary holiday/rally sites.
So, on a temporary holiday/rally site it's OK to use water on an electrical (generator powered in this case) fire :Doh:

not belittling your post but just pointing out the obvious.

water and electric do not mix....anywhere !

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A bucket of water may have come in handy at last years Peterborough show,.
I watched as a chinese lantern got closer and closer to us then it went out. I ran to the awning to get the still burning embers off but wasn't tall enough.

Luckily no damage done but scary for a few moments.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
So, on a temporary holiday/rally site it's OK to use water on an electrical (generator powered in this case) fire :Doh:

not belittling your post but just pointing out the obvious.

water and electric do not mix....anywhere !

Point taken...though I never said it was OK. I said it was a requirement.

I have read about incidents where fire buckets reduced damage to tents and motorhomes. I have yet to read about death-by-electrocution-via-fire-bucket - if that happens then no doubt the C&CC will reconsider. Until then, I'll assume that I won't be allowed in with my setup unless I have a bucket. And I will have to rely on my common sense when it comes to using it.

And in the case of my utility tent, there will obviously be no generator inside, so if anybody reading this sees it on fire (heaven forbid) I would appreciate it if they would use my fire bucket (or anybody else's) for the reason it's there.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Reading these posts has made us think that we should get a fire blanket or extinguisher pronto. We always pack the inside of the cooker shelves and grill with bubblewrap to stop them rattling around whilst travelling:RollEyes: however, recently when we stopped for a bit of lunch, Bill lit the oven by mistake (instead of the hob for the kettle) and the bubblewrap starting to burn inside the oven:Blush:

After a couple of seconds of blowing like mad and the yelling of some unrepeatable phrases, it went out, thankfully, however, it could have caused a major problem had it not gone out quickly:Doh:
Margaret:Blush:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
One man and and his DOBlo had one ready for use in Chester. I used it to dunk my head to try and sober up a little:roflmto:

I noticed this too at Chester..... but very late at night.

I was on the way back from the beer tent, I was "desperate", you know, cold night, full bladder...

So very very tempting :winky:,

but perhaps the alcohol content would not be so good for fire-fighting, so I managed to make it back to the van (mine that is..).....

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
[HI]personally i cant think of anything more dangerous......
[/HI]
a bucket (or many buckets) of water on a fire of unknown source...possibly electrical. :Eeek:

I am not sure but I reckon a drunken gorilla carrying a loaded machine gun with the safety catch off coming back to his favourite branch to find you cuddling up to his missus having eaten all the bananas might be at least as dangerous as a water filled bucket...:winky:

JJ

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Fire Buckets - A True Story!

We have 2 fire extinguishers on board the van. On board my ship when at sea, we can't call the Fire Brigade, so I've had a fair bit of firefighting training over the years. However we do not have "Fire Buckets" as ship Fire Fighting equipment.

Having said that I did have a Fire Bucket in my van, which came from a previous van. It was there when we bought it.

Lat year I was pitched up on a CC site. My garage door was open and the empty Red Fire bucket was clearly visible. The "tugger" on the next pitch asked if he could borrow it. He said he was going to have a BBQ. I said no problem, gave him the bucket and left him to it.

About 40 minutes later, I heard panicked cries of Fire Fire...

I grabbed the extinguisher by the door of our van , saw his BBQ, which was in quite large flames by now, and quickly put out his BBQ fire.

It was then that I realised what happened.

The silly Tw*t, had sat his Tesco instant BBQ on top of my upturned Fire bucket. As the BBQ got going, my bucket melted, the BBQ fell over and it all went up in flames.

When I asked him why he did that, he told me the site rules said you could have a BBQ, as long as it was not directly on the ground.

So, he thought if he put his BBQ on top of my upturned Fire Bucket it would be ok. It was not on the ground, and my Red plastic bucket, as he said, must be "fireproof", as it was a "Fire Bucket", so all would be fine with his BBQ burning directly on top......:Doh::Doh::Doh:

He was also in charge of 3 young children.....:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Obviously water & electricity don't mix. Also there are inherent dangers in any amateur tackling a fire. As Neil points out, one has to rely on common sense.

I expect people who do have fire buckets would tend to have more common sense than the person Callum mentioned :Smile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Obviously water & electricity don't mix. Also there are inherent dangers in any amateur tackling a fire. As Neil points out, one has to rely on common sense.

I expect people who do have fire buckets would tend to have more common sense than the person Callum mentioned :Smile:

Remember...... Sense isn't common.

Craig

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, I posted this link the last time this came up. :Smile:

Here: http://www.eeda.co.uk/index.php?opti...e-88&Itemid=88

We have camped a few times with this group, and they like a fire bucket out. :roflmto:

Just been away with our MCC group, and never been asked to put one out, but many do.

We put one out if I remember :RollEyes: and I would say most of gets drunk by dogs.

So if your having a BBQ and the grass catches a light under it beside your van, do you want me to throw my water on it. :whatthe: Bob.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I never intended to be kill the thread. ::bigsmile: Just pointing out the my thoughts on fire buckets. :ROFLMAO:

Still interested in others views, might even start one on rally marshals and hi vis waist coats.......................:winky: with a tape measure. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Bob.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
flash back from water on petrol fire

personally i cant think of anything more dangerous......

if club sites expect this then they should, at least. provide a sand heap to fill your bucket.

even tents have electric hookup now and generators have no RCD protection. :Doh:

There is a risk of a flash back of the fire if you hit a petrol fire with water... or electrical as said by John..

Better having a proper equipment.

When at shows we see the piles of fire equipment placed near all the roadways... do not see any red buckets with water.. just real equipment. CC&C sites do have the equipment .. better checking where it is...

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you do not have fire equipment????

Reading these posts has made us think that we should get a fire blanket or extinguisher pronto. We always pack the inside of the cooker shelves and grill with bubblewrap to stop them rattling around whilst travelling:RollEyes: however, recently when we stopped for a bit of lunch, Bill lit the oven by mistake (instead of the hob for the kettle) and the bubblewrap starting to burn inside the oven:Blush:

After a couple of seconds of blowing like mad and the yelling of some unrepeatable phrases, it went out, thankfully, however, it could have caused a major problem had it not gone out quickly:Doh:
Margaret:Blush:

I thought all motor homers carrier fire extinguishers:Blush: and fire blankets.... of course I have both and if worse comes to worse I could use Ezzies water bucket.....

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
oh no not a convert to warners marshal yellow jackets

I never intended to be kill the thread. ::bigsmile: Just pointing out the my thoughts on fire buckets. :ROFLMAO:

Still interested in others views, might even start one on rally marshals and hi vis waist coats.......................:winky: with a tape measure. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Oh no Bob, you are not going to become a warners marshall are you with a yellow jacket on:winky: mind you it makes you easier to spot .. get extra points for yellow ones.. I have a few of the warners now notched on my marker poles on the RV... getting as common now as bugs on the bumper... next you will be running around with a cb:Blush:

Bob (and Ezzie 6 years and 2 days).. Sue said she is not associated to my post:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back