Ducato 2011 model: Adding a tow bracket (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Typically what is required to add a tow bracket to a Ducato ?

Looking at the chassis it looks like it would need a cross member or perhaps a frame C shape bolted on, are these parts standard and what sort of prices are they ?

I assume after that the tow bar fits straight on to this cross member, electrics through that etc

Anyone good UK installers ? we could get it done when back in the summer, slightly cheaper than here....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
two things to consider....

is it on an Alko chassis ?
if so then fitting a towbar would need the correct one as an Alkochassis shouldnt be drilled as its galvanised.

standard chassis usually arent long enough and will need an extension fabricating to extend the chassis all the way to the rear.

there are many towbar fitters out there....google motorhome towbars.

average prices are around £500 fitted, with electrics.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will need an alko specific towbar and ensure they fit;

A canbus unit

There have been well known towbar fitters fail on this resulting in fires after attaching towing electrics under load - the new ones do need a canbus!:thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You will need an alko specific towbar and ensure they fit;

A canbus unit

There have been well known towbar fitters fail on this resulting in fires after attaching towing electrics under load - the new ones do need a canbus!:thumb:

That's good info to know, will keep that in mind:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Try PWS poole:winky:

PWS quoted me nearly £900 to fit a bar to my 2008 coachbuilt.... priced themselves out of the market

Towtal in the midlands quote £350

In the end had it done locally for £375

all quotes included single canbus compatible wiring

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Towtal looks a good option, only around 1hr away from where we'll be. I'll contact them and get some prices.

Thanks

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
£499 at Towtal, 4-6hrs to fit. Includes all electrics and canbus.

Pretty good me thinks

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
In the N W is Michael Parkinson, Freckleton near preston. Have used him for years and he will be cheaper than the others. Around £300 if my memory serves me correctly.
Fitted by 07 Boxer with a very good tow bar that looks and acts the business.
Call him on 01772634215 and ask him for a quote

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In the N W is Michael Parkinson, Freckleton near preston. Have used him for years and he will be cheaper than the others. Around £300 if my memory serves me correctly.
Fitted by 07 Boxer with a very good tow bar that looks and acts the business.

That would give me a good reason to visit Preston, haven't been in years.

Many thanks for that !!!!

Could make it there on the way to relatives that live in Lancaster.

Will call for a price.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Fitted by (to) 07 Boxer with a very good tow bar that looks and acts the business.

Don't know why I typed that, MUST HAVE BEEN ANOTHER SENIOR MOMENT. :thumb:

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Had a towbar fitted to my Alko Chassis clad Bentley last December. A local steel fabricator made it and fitted to chassis. All mounts had to be in the existing Alko holes and it had to be taken right back to the rear axle. Total job cost of £200, wiring extra at electricians.
Didn't think that was a bad price as bought direct they range from £250 supply only. If you have an original chassis a buy off the shelf item may suite your vehicle.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had a towbar fitted to my Alko Chassis clad Bentley last December. A local steel fabricator made it and fitted to chassis. All mounts had to be in the existing Alko holes and it had to be taken right back to the rear axle. Total job cost of £200, wiring extra at electricians.
Didn't think that was a bad price as bought direct they range from £250 supply only. If you have an original chassis a buy off the shelf item may suite your vehicle.

The huge problem with motorhome towbars is, because of different body lengths (behind rear wheels) and the way different manufacturers extend the chassis there are too many variables to make a standard bar. some just bolt on thin C section floor strengtheners that are nowhere near strong enough to take a towbar. In this case, additional rails need bolting to the chassis and extended to the rear of the motorhome. Some I have seen are so over engineered that they weigh a considerable amount that you loose of your loading allowance

Having said that, I have heard that towbars for motorhomes built after 2012 will need to by type approved. one of the first manufacturers to do a standard bolt on towbar for an entire range is Elddis with their autoquest and avantguard range from 2009 onwards. This is much the same as with alko chassis towbars, which fit to the predrilled holes in the chassis
see here for a "standard bar" to suit the above
Link Removed

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
£450 from Mr Parkinson, looks like he's missing some talk show work.....

He did say 450 with chassis extensions and 350 without although I know that I'd need them. These prices inc electrics and 2 part paint process, Galv possible but would need some more days to get that done.

Sounds like a very knowledgeable person.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
one of the first manufacturers to do a standard bolt on towbar for an entire range is Elddis with their autoquest and avantguard range from 2009 onwards. This is much the same as with alko chassis towbars, which fit to the predrilled holes in the chassis
QUOTE]

From what I understand, Autotrail made some changes from 2010 onwards and most models have the same chassis extension ready to take a towbar fitting.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
dont think that van will be as shiny underneath if it goes to peterborough this weekend:ROFLMAO:

seriously though, that extension makes fitting a bar simply a nuts and bolts job. All the manufacturers are going to have to do the same though to comply with the new regulations. If there was an enterprising engineering company left in this country, they could develop a standard extension for the Fiat chassis and sell it to the motorhome industry. This would lead to standard bars on ALL new vans, but that would be too easy:Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I will post pics tomorrw of the PWS bar that is now fitted, uses the 3 bolts right at the back. does look like a standard bar with an adaptor plate to suit the chassis extension.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just surfing EBay and found this chap in Preston that will supply and fit a towbar and electrics for £350
Link Removed

this is his website www.mpmhs.co.uk

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I will post pics tomorrw of the PWS bar that is now fitted, uses the 3 bolts right at the back. does look like a standard bar with an adaptor plate to suit the chassis extension.

Thats how PWS produce them, I've been to the factory as its local to me and bought from them before. They make the standard bars and get them plastic coated or paint, which they hold in stock then when they get an order its just a case of making up brackets and chassis extensions to suit specific models. Not cheap though

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just surfing EBay and found this chap in Preston that will supply and fit a towbar and electrics for £350
Link Removed

this is his website www.mpmhs.co.uk

Yep that's Michael Parkinson, seems a very good guy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back