Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Has anyone done the maths regarding driving versus ferry yet?

Just got a first quote from Brittany for september...jeeezus H keriste:Eeek:, I thought the diesel price was high enough, and i,d picked a toll free route so expected fuel cost to be higher, but when i looked at the ferry prices.....£760!!!
I hav,nt really started delving into it yet, but deals are probably a bit thin on the ground,....what say you?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always believe it is cheaper (sorry "more affordable... I don't "do" cheap) to drive along a road rather than float along on a ship...

How much diesel do you use going twenty miles?

Now compare it with the Dover/Calais ferry... :restmycase:

...plus driving my motorhome is a large part of the fun for me...

...plus I am really, really, really seasick...

Time permitiing I always trundle down through France...

JJ :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi depends when you are crossing . i normally cross in november come back end april. . usually pay about 530 plymouth to santander return .certainly cant drive to dover to get a cheap crossing then drive through france and be in profit. plus i save about 2000mls wear and tear.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I always believe it is cheaper (sorry "more affordable... I don't "do" cheap) to drive along a road rather than float along on a ship...

[HI]Time permitiing I always trundle down through France...[/HI]

Yea Yea JJ of course you do what other possible reason could you have for going Via France:winky:

Broken Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I asked the same question a while back

I asked the same question a while back.. My concerns were over Ezzie (6 today) I do not want to leave her in the RV while we are up in a cabin... the tunnel means she travels with us in the RV between the cab seats... OK not cheap but with the RV and a 20' trailer and a dog both ways it costs us around £300 for the crossing ..decent day time crossing... we only live 45 minutes from the tunnel so it is good for us. The tunnel is not problem either way.

Like JJ I like to enjoy the drive.. but I must admit I do most of the driving at night.. get through the national routes a lot easier.. but I refuse to do toll routes .. it is a killer for an RV and trailer... I have been in to Spain every way possible and even Andorra .. but can be an issue with a dog as they still do not recognise the PET PASSPORT.. but you can cut around Andorra on the French side and then drop down in to Spain.

Recent years we seem only to get to the South of France.. found some great sites and why push the extra miles when you have what you want... do not need a beach or the sea.

But the run to Portugal was about double what I normally do and that is around 1650 miles round trip for us.. so that means double fuel. Remember we are a V10 6.8 ltr Ford.. we get around 14 mpg even with the trailer if we can keep rolling.. the hills can be a killer.. but at least we have a decent car to use at the destination.

Bob

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Weve now decided, its driving for us. Ive been busy going to all the bucket shops (so to speak) but the prices all stay around the £700-800 mark, so nowhere near a significant saving to warrant a boat ride.
i dont likle the floaty things, especially in september, but thought i;d give it a go.
We have enough info from this site to go Aires all the way, so its down to route planning now::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we are due to make our second run to Spain/France

Weve now decided, its driving for us. Ive been busy going to all the bucket shops (so to speak) but the prices all stay around the £700-800 mark, so nowhere near a significant saving to warrant a boat ride.
i dont likle the floaty things, especially in september, but thought i;d give it a go.
We have enough info from this site to go Aires all the way, so its down to route planning now::bigsmile:

we will be making our second run to France/Spain in September.. it is easy to avoid the tolls (aves more money)....

The ferries are reasonably cheap across from Dove to Calais .. the tunnel a bit more expensive but you do not get sea sick in the tunnel.. it confuses Ezzie as she knows it is moving, but cannot work out how... easy out of the tunnel and head West motorway ... toll free then come off at junction 29 and head on to the national routes.. down to Abbeyville then along to Rouen (skirt round the side of it) and then head south.. lots of routes to take.

Bob

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
remember you are on the boat for 24 hours each way plus loading times .
you have to eat and if you are not sea sick it costs a small fortune .i no you can pack your own but its a extra cost to budget for for some. been on the boat this year first time will not use again drive down next time for us take out time .:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I looked at it 2 years ago and it was cheaper to drive. Last year I looked again and it was still cheaper to drive. I won't bother looking this year and take a nice gentle drive down and enjoy the French country side in all its beauty ::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Time permitiing I always trundle down through France...

Me toooo I agree with JJ::bigsmile:

majo

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
remember you are on the boat for 24 hours each way plus loading times .
you have to eat and if you are not sea sick it costs a small fortune .i no you can pack your own but its a extra cost to budget for for some. been on the boat this year first time will not use again drive down next time for us take out time .:Smile:

Do you not have to eat if you drive down. I must try that !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back