Free Member
Apr 7, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're looking for our first motorohome. Because we are on a somewhat limited budget, we'll be looking for a C Class around 20 years old. All the advice we have so far (very gratefully received) keeps re-iterating the need to thoroughly check for damp. Is there a guide on how to do this?

Thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Most often the damp issues will be around the bottom corners of windows and rear corners. Make sure you lift the cusions check the lockers for musty/mushroomy smell, discoloured wood or decoration. Get a moisture tester, 2 prong affair off ebay
Link Removed

cheap as chips

take note if air freshener has been used, it might be to mask damp smell, smells like mushrooms or rotten potatoes.
ask when or if the exterior seals have ever been replaced and watch out for mastic around the trims indicating they have not been removed to reseal.
Check for soft spongy wood on walls and floor check inside all units any sign of new bits of wood on the floor or walls
Most vans of that age will have some discolouration around the bottom corner of windows due to condensation so be aware of that. check the fabrics for signs of mildew indicating a damp interior.underneath the cushions is the best place t look. There are some good vans out there of that age, mainly mercedes based and Hymers, Burstners etc. Good luck with your search. If your budget would stretch to £20K I do know of a fantastic buy before it goes on ebay.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
first thing is buy a damp meter.

can be bought for less than a tenner.

then follow the instructions and check as many places as possible especially around ANY openings...windows, roof vents, floor to wall/roof to wall joints etc.

i beleive there is a small allowance for dampness but i cant remember what the percentage is...some one will know...but i think around 10%

have a good sniff around the cupboards...get your head in and snell, any mustiness could be wood rot.

check the floor for springiness as you walk.....this is delamination and can be very serious.

any damp then walk away.....it could cost thousands to correct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
if it is real bad

If it is real bad your nose will tell you. But as Roger (Wildman said.. check the various areas.. common sense really).

We once vied an A class at a dealers that had been store for 4 months .. opened the door and boy you could smell the damp.

Bob

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Best way is to get it done profesionally, but you can do it yourself with the right type of meter. The problem is most of the cheap meters have two pins which you have to probe the surface with.
This type are pretty useless for a motorhome as the wallboard has a plasticised finish, so to get a readig you have to puncture the surface every few inches leaving holes.
You need a non invasive meter like the one below.

Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Best way is to get it done profesionally, but you can do it yourself with the right type of meter. The problem is most of the cheap meters have two pins which you have to probe the surface with.
This type are pretty useless for a motorhome as the wallboard has a plasticised finish, so to get a readig you have to puncture the surface every few inches leaving holes.
You need a non invasive meter like the one below.

Link Removed

That looks a clever piece of kit and what's £49 compared to the cost of rebuilding a MH.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
That looks a clever piece of kit and what's £49 compared to the cost of rebuilding a MH.

It is, I have both types of meter, the pinless one found damp in a van I was thinking of buying that the pins one didn't, then when I applied thumb pressure a hole appeared. Time for a Quick exit.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Non contact one good.

The pin type gives a high reading on my ceiling as the inner skin is aluminium, much the same as the plastic coating error but the other way round. This is because they don't actually measure moisture directly, but electrical conductivity.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Dont get confused by damp meter readings. Use the meter on an obviously dry piece of wood inside the MH...inside of a wardrobe door or cabinet, note the reading, some meters will read in percentages, some bars, some just a band going up a scale,.....whatever yours was on the dry bit of wood, use as your benchmark.
Say it was 20, and most of the MH reads, 25, but some bits (around windows, in corners, floor near door etc) read 40-45...then you may have a problem.

Mine was done at Newark by a pro company, cost me £35...worth every penny as you get a report. Myself, I would use a tester, then if i fell in love with a van...get the pro's in, their report will either make you walk away, get the dealer to do repairs, or get a large discount::bigsmile: (if you are a gambler).

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
is the van back this coming weekend?

Dont get confused by damp meter readings. Use the meter on an obviously dry piece of wood inside the MH...inside of a wardrobe door or cabinet, note the reading, some meters will read in percentages, some bars, some just a band going up a scale,.....whatever yours was on the dry bit of wood, use as your benchmark.
Say it was 20, and most of the MH reads, 25, but some bits (around windows, in corners, floor near door etc) read 40-45...then you may have a problem.

Mine was done at Newark by a pro company, cost me £35...worth every penny as you get a report. Myself, I would use a tester, then if i fell in love with a van...get the pro's in, their report will either make you walk away, get the dealer to do repairs, or get a large discount::bigsmile: (if you are a gambler).

Is the van back this coming weekend? I bet you will have that meter out.... hoping to see it at Peterborough.

Bob:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Yup, this weekend, looking forward ti it. I will be taking readings and marking them on a "map" of the van like the pro did, then i'll have something to use in the future for reference.
Before this years lay up, about October, I,ll have all the seams resealed.
See you at P'bog.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Non contact one good.

The pin type gives a high reading on my ceiling as the inner skin is aluminium, much the same as the plastic coating error but the other way round. This is because they don't actually measure moisture directly, but electrical conductivity.

I can't think of any technique that would measure dampness through a metal skin. Very unusual construction for inside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back