introducing myself and a question.... (1 Viewer)

ellensj

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi all,

I'm Ellen and I've been a motor homer for around 15 years with a break in the middle when I thought foolishly that I could do with out! I'm afraid I like to camp in comfort and a tent just won't do! I love being outdoors with nothing more to worry about than what to have for dinner, where to explore next (and the cost of diesel...).

I get out and about with my son, Ruben, 9 and we've done the length and breadth of the country but still loads to explore. We do like festivals and tend to go with groups of friends but I'd like to do a lot more ordinary camping. Of course, this is always more fun with friendly like minded company so I thought I'd give you guys a look. I'm a teacher so I get a good chunk of time in which to get out. Am looking forward to hooking up with some of you soon.

Now, for my question. Do any of you have any experience hiring out your motor home through an agency or privately? I have actually considered selling my van recently as it's so costly to keep and I haven't used it massively in the last year as I moved house and that took a lot of my time. I've got some things booked up this summer but it strikes me that it will be sitting unused for a fair bit of time too. A friend suggested considering hiring it out and it seems like a possibility which could cover my running costs. I'd REALLY appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ellen SJ

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do any of you have any experience hiring out your motor home through an agency or privately?
Ellen SJ

This comes up regularly and always ends up no No NO.

Insurance problems.
Damage problems.
Bad debt problems.

All problems and little joy it seems.

OP
OP
E

ellensj

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
oh dear, not what I was hoping to hear....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
oh dear, not what I was hoping to hear....

Well on any forum, wait a while and you'll hear what you want to hear. It's then up to you to work out which is the right answer.

Bottom line is there are not so nice people out there, treat your vehicle like a rubbish dump, give dodgy credit card deposits, leave you to pick up the pieces. And you ring up your insurers and ask what it will cost for a week or two on hire.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, one answer maybe to downsize and use the MH as an everyday vehicle.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
would hire mine out? NO NO NO

Mine RV sits on the drive 6 moths a year over the winter and a fair bit between shows and trips to France/Spain.

Would I hire it out? no way.

By the way welcome to the forum...

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ellen and welcome.

there are 'letting' agencies out there who can take all the trouble out of hiring out your van...at a price

BUT.....

insurance could be a problem.

you will be restricted to when YOU can use it and the ability to go when you want will be gone......

there will be a fair amount of wear and tear and probably some expense doing repairs.

you will never know how the van is being treated....while most folks will take care, not all hirers respect your property....just the same as letting your house.

personally, i would never even loan my RV to friends, let alone hiring to total strangers.

one extreme example of abuse....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyccEiv1rb0[/ame]

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
No experience...

...bur that never stops me. I suspect it has parallels with landlords and rental property. Those landlords who view their rental property as their home [even though it's not] rarely have good experiences - no tenant meets their requirements! Those who treat their rental property as a business asset tend to be rather more realistic and have a better experience. Similarly with motorhomes - I guess it depends how attached you are to it - and from my brief membership of this forum to date, most 'homers [including myself now] have a suspiciously close relationship with it, hence not wanting to share...

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, I think for cost of extra maintenance and insurance the worry of having your van hired out would not be worth any profit you may have. Can you Sorn your van in the months when you are not using it, and join in on some rally's always a lot cheaper way of camping than fully serviced sites. What ever you choose good luck :welcomefunster:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back