stevenboyce

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
maidenhead
Funster No
MH
not sure
Exp
Our connector is blue and has butane written on it but i've just read on a different post that propane is better?

Whats the difference and what should i buy?

many thanks in advance

steve

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
butane stops gassing properly at around 5 degrees while propane still gasses down into minus temperatures.
Butane is in a blue bottle, and propane is in a red/orange colour bottle, depending on your camper and its age you might need to use a different regulator for propane which you can use all year round rather than keep swopping from butane to propane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
both good

Our connector is blue and has butane written on it but i've just read on a different post that propane is better?

Whats the difference and what should i buy?

many thanks in advance

steve

What you buy depends on when where you will be using it. Propane is your only choice if you will be in very cold conditions, Butane is great if you don't. Butane liquid tends to 'gell' if the temperature is low and at that point does not readily turn to gas. (It's the temperature of the contents of the bottle that matters not the temperature of the air outside)

If you are using butane now then I reckon you will get through to autumn with it at least - cos we all now the temperature is only going to go up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards - enjoy

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i normally use butane all year .i havent had it stop working for years .
i use it right through the winter .not this year i stayed here. hee hee.
butane works lovely in spain n maroc .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stevenboyce

Free Member
Apr 6, 2012
maidenhead
Funster No
MH
not sure
Exp
thanks everyone, i'll buy some butane and replace it with propane in the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sounds as if the regulator (blue) is on the bottle end of your hose, in which case you will need to change it for a propane regulator (red) before you can use propane.

Like this ;

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gas-Regulator-Propane-37mbar-Screw/dp/B001GYVEG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333747367&sr=8-1[/ame]

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Butane burns hotter. I have a butane camping stove which I use for frying stuff outside the van which cooks and boils far faster than the propane one inside.

Propane has better availability in the UK. Propane works to lower temperatures.

So if you are in the UK in winter or colder climes then propane is the best choice.

If you are only using it in the summer in the uk or are traveling to warmer climbs and have confirmed supplies then butane is better as it burns hotter.

You can of course swap tanks by the season if staying in the UK or colder but I can't be arsed messing about like that...

Upvote 0

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
The propane valve on mine has been disconnected on a joint lower down the copper pipe, and a rubber pipe fitted with a jubilee clip fixing it to the copper pipe with a connector fitted the other end of rubber pipe for butane use. so it can be swopped for propane or butane gas use.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back