Apr 4, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Trying to get one
Exp
I still sleep in my car
Hi;

I'm Jennifer, I am 29 and live in Lancs. I have been wanting a motorhome for a while now but only just this year have I decided I am definitely going for it, life always got in the way of my doing things I wanted to do , before!
Now I got a couple of regrets of not doing things sooner, but I want to own a motorhome and I know absolutely nothing about them. I looked into it online, was pleasantly surprised when I found that they are not *that* expensive to run and to buy-I was thinking for a while that I would need a tonne of money knocking around to even consider being an owner of one, I only want a small one!
So I decided to join here so that I can get some advice and learn more. :)

I am particularly interested in the converted vans, the ones that do not actually look like motorhomes from the outside? I think some people call them 'stealth' vans or something. I am looking into getting one of those.I have a car that I want to sell because, if I get one of those I will not need both, plus it will help me pay for the van.
Any advice welcome!
Look forward to 'meeting' you all!

Jen

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
:welcomefunster:
That's the type we'll mostlikely end up buying.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Welcome to MH Fun

Best advice I can give is go and look at different models and build up a picture of what's available.

It can take quite a while looking, but don't rush it, it's too easy to later regret your decision and can cost you money to correct a rushed choice.

Best of luck in your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:welcome::hug:

Ask away, there's plenty of knowledge on 'ere, and freely given:thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
And a welcome from me too.

Go and look at lots--as many as possible and ask loads of questions. that way you'll find out what will work for you and what won't.

good luck.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jennifer, welcome to the Fun. try and make it to one of the motorhome shows, that way you'll get an exact idea of what you want, especially so at a big show like Peterborough at the and of this month:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi welcome to motorhome fun - being a newbie myself I can vouch that they are a friendly bunch. Take Jim's advice and come to one of the shows. There will be over 80 of us at Peterborough. Come and introduce yourself

MikeD

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I spent over 6 months looking round and researching before I decided and the funsters on here were a mine of information without knowing it, I spent hours going through all the previous postings !!
On my 4th trip out in it this weekend

Dave

Fishman

Free Member
Apr 16, 2010
Stockport,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyanne 630LB
Exp
since April 2009
Hi Jen and welcome :thumb: the advice i got when i first thought of buying a motorhome was DON'T get one that you have to get out of to make the bed up :Sad: you don't want a cold wet north easterly blowing around your vitals:Eeek: try not to be impatient and when you see the right one it will shout out to you good luck in your search.....fishman

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Fun, the best way is to rule nothing out, look around check out the many conversions on vans, from Mazda Bongo / Little Bedford Rascals / so many out there enjoy the hunt, and come back as many times as you need with questions, would say one of the best investments is probably the £10 spent on here to become an official Funster. :welcomefunster:

pollyanna

Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
self build van conversion
Exp
since 90s
hi

Hi jen, I`m new here too. I think it would be a good idea to buy a copy of MMM..............am I allowed to mention that here...........not advertising for them really, just find they are a mine if useful info.

It`s easy to make expensive mistakes when buying motorhomes...........tell me about it!

When you say you want a van that doesn`t look like a motorhome........stealth? Do you mean a van with no windows/blacked out windows?

Our`s is an ex LA disabled minibus. Hubby converted it. Cheap van and total cost around £6k. Be easy to pick up a good van if you don`t need a ramp like us.

Good luck with the hunt.

regards, Pollx:thumb:

patyogi

Free Member
Feb 8, 2012
Deal, Kent
Funster No
MH
self convert, left hooker
Exp
too long
flick thru

Have a gander on Fleabay, it will give you an idea of prices, plus you can look inside the vans at the varied layouts. AND there are many, it will take you donkeys years to find the one that suits just you.
Welcome to the bleddy mad/fun house, loadsa info from many and far ranging peeps. :winky:

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Welcome to the mad house Jen i am new on here as well good to see you come from Gods own county

OP
OP
S

sugarmouse

Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Trying to get one
Exp
I still sleep in my car
Thank you everybod, for the warm welcome!
I am quoting this because I am looking to relocate to Yorkshire very soon! God's own country, I' m not much a beleiver in 'God' but I do like that title!
Yes I want a van with no windows or such , I think, but I am open to other things!
My friend just bought his friend's converted transit, he had spent 1000s converting it so that it had two sleepers, a worktop with a cooker/hob etc-that's all I want really and my friend bought it for £500 I was really envious of that one.
Welcome to the mad house Jen i am new on here as well good to see you come from Gods own county

I've just reached a time of life where I have realised I've done a lot but not done anything. I want to have a campervan, that's what I want. So I came here to set about getting one.

Regards this thing in Peterborough, any more details? I would love to go to that, how much is it/when exactly/what sort of thing goes on at these things, I want to come! Lol but I won't know anybody will I!This is all new to me, I'm excited but happy. I've not got a lot of money, though but I'm earning, that was what had put me off getting a camper for so long then I saw folk who earn less than me runniing one fine, and thought yes I can do this. :)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Jen :welcome: to fun :thumb:

One of our daughters is doing the same, :Smile: looking for a van and converting I think we might be involved. :winky::Doh:
She spends a lot of time on the norfolk coast with her two dogs, and also want something that she can park anywhere and free camp.:thumb:

Peterborough Show here: http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Shows/The-National-Motorhome-Show/_sh3

If you go as a day visitor, you might be able to visit our area, but depends on where they put us.::bigsmile:
We have always been under high security at Peterborough, :winky: because they need to keep a eye on us !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But this year we have out grown our area, so we could be anywhere.:roflmto:

But look for the FUN flags follow the noise or if its Sunday you will smell 1/2 a tonne of bacon cooking, and that will be us.:winky:::bigsmile:

Good luck with your search. :thumb: Bob and Jane.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the forum Jennifer, most stealth vans are self builds, mind you there are a number of those for sale. do be aware that some will not be welcome on UK campsites, as the establishment like to deter gypsys and those with an alternate lifestyle. We of course are much more tolerant here. Everyone is welcome as variety is the spice of life. There are a number of firms that will convert a van for you and some individualy that will help you convert so lots of options out there for you. a rear twin wheel drive will help make sure to don't get stuck in muddy fields very often and a 4 x 4 even better. A lot depends on your budget and what you need from a van. do you intend to use it as a home or just for holidays. how many does it need to sleep etc. If you would like to chat about it I am in the chatroom most evenings.

On my 4th trip out in it this weekend

Dave
try spending longer away 4 trips in one weekend is far too many:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Welcome :thumb:
Cheeky question---How much do you want to spend on one ,then it gives us a indication of what you can expect and send you some links to look over.
Are you after something like a VW t4 or T5 or a Transit converted?
Give us a starting block and we will see :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back