Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm just trying to work out what I can and can't run in a camper. I'm planning on spending as little time as possible on sites unless I need to empty the loo or get water and a shower, so a lot of cooking is going to be done as I do on camp, in a three legged South African Potje cast iron pot on a burner which will cook anything from curry to bread. I've also got a Kelly kettle, which fascinates people on camp sites, but annoys those downwind as it burns twigs, but boils water in three minutes.

What can I use off a power hook up which won't plunge the entire site into darkness when we are on a site with power? I'm thinking, slow cooker, microwave etc.

Cheers, John

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
your keely kettle is a Gilly over here

I'm just trying to work out what I can and can't run in a camper. I'm planning on spending as little time as possible on sites unless I need to empty the loo or get water and a shower, so a lot of cooking is going to be done as I do on camp, in a three legged South African Potje cast iron pot on a burner which will cook anything from curry to bread. I've also got a Kelly kettle, which fascinates people on camp sites, but annoys those downwind as it burns twigs, but boils water in three minutes.

What can I use off a power hook up which won't plunge the entire site into darkness when we are on a site with power? I'm thinking, slow cooker, microwave etc.

Cheers, John

I have a Gilly kettle which will burn off of twigs or on my cobb unit .. heats water fast.. re the microwave.. depends on the sites amps.. most in europe are 6 to 10 amps and a micro wave will trip them.. same on the slow cooker.. all depends on the watts you have on each item..

I can cook most things on a cobb from bread, to roast chicken it has all the bits like a frying pa, a wok and a griddle etc., it can work off the cobb stones which is compressed coconut shell or I can use normal BBQ bricks etc., also has a smoker unit...

But you need to check what your motorhome can handle re the watts and amps drawn.

I have on my RV a 4 kw genny built in tot he chassis and that charges my batteries through a pure wave investor by Sterling.. that allows me to have 230v out of the domestic 200 amps (total) of batteries... but even I have to be careful... I have found a few european sites with 16 amps and I can then run my roof aircon and microwave but not at the same time.

I am sure others will advise you.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Cheers, John

That depends on the EHU John, .. in the UK most are 16A .. but you also find 10A.

Abroad it varies from as little as 3A up to 16A

Watts (power) = Volts x Amps .. so a 230v x 16A EHU can provide 3.68kw (3680 watts)

Rule of thumb .. 1kw uses 4Amps ( rounded for easy calculating)

so check the appliance data tag for watts or the amps ..

Example. A microwave rate at 600watts is the cooking power, not the power consumed which is quite a bit higher .. around 800watts.. that uses about 3.5Amps .. but quite a bit more on start-up..

A kettle at 2kw draws 8.7Amps , a 3kw one draws 13Amps..

do your sums and learn what each appliance uses.. and always check the EHU supply rating, ask when booking in.. If unknown it is marked on the MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker) at the EHU post..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi John, we have a slow cooker that you just get boiling on gas and then pop it in the pot.::bigsmile:

The best thing is, it goes back in the cupboard that it travels in when not using it.:roflmto:

You don't get any smells while its in there, so you have to remember you have a cooked dinner when you park up.:ROFLMAO:

We have the small one which is big enough for two people ours was about £55. :thumb: Bob.

Here: http://www.cookequip.co.uk/shop-dream-pot.html

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Not now they aren't.

I've just clicked on that link and they are only doing a large one at £94

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I've just clicked on that link and they are only doing a large one at £94

Just buy a large one John, and invite us all round. :winky::ROFLMAO:

I will have a look at the shows and see if they still do the small one and tell them to update the web site. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back