Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

My van passed the MOT today but with an advisory on the cross member. However, I cant seem to find one except from Fiat. Any idea where I can get one other than fron Fiat? Also, how hard / easy to replace?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I believe Eddie... partner (equal) of Carol solved his similar problem at a bargain price... You might find one of them along in a little while or maybe a PM to Carol (as Eddie might be too busy practising his boules strategy right now...)

JJ :Cool:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Link Removed

heres a link for starters, seems the earlier ones 99-02 are cheaper than the later 02-06 so depends on your actual vans age.
It also depends on the condition of your own, as it is quite an easy job to remove for cleaning and painting if not too far gone with corrosion, six bolts underneath, radiator etc can stay in place as it sits in rubber bushes on top of crossmember,2 hour job for someone handy with tools.

hope this helps
Steve:thumb:

OP
OP

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The van is an 06, had a quick look and it didn't look too bad. May have it off to have a gander and see just how bad it is. Mind you, if I take it off I may as well change it!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Dave
I know my vans a lot older than yours but I done mine a couple of weeks ago and got it from Here, dunno if they do one for yours or not:thumb: but it is a realy easy job to take of and replace on my van. Hope you and the wife are in good health and hope to see you at a meet or two this year:thumb: still using the levelers:winky:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi

My van passed the MOT today but with an advisory on the cross member. However, I cant seem to find one except from Fiat. Any idea where I can get one other than fron Fiat? Also, how hard / easy to replace?

Mine is a 1998 fiat Ducato cost me £ 80.00 odd
Seal it up and fill it with paint
turn it over side to side and end to end
I had a half litre of Hammerite smooth spare so used that

On mine it was getting the bumper off that was the hard bit

Otherwise easy job

Link to where I got mine from

Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi has as been said, Eddie fitted one to ours a couple of months ago, google Breaker Yard. com. it is a network of approved breakers, excellent service we had ours delivered the next day for £75.

Ed cleaned it painted it with Hammerite and filled it with any old oil he found and swished it around, put it up on our levelling blocks.

3 bolts either side and some cabling clipped to it. Then it should drop down steadily. The radiators won't move but there are bushes inbetween the cross member and radiator which have to be put back correctly.

The job took approx 2 hours and it looks as good as new.

Nick of Time

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
west
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 yrs
2008 Autotrial Cheyenne 696G Anti Roll Bar

Hi folks,

I recently retired and bought myself to a used 2008 Autotrail Cheyenne 6969G Ducato 130 for touring Europe in 2012.

I recently noticed a knocking sound coming from somewhere towards the rear off-side, I checked that everything was nailed down but I couldn't identify where the noise was coming from.

Last week I took my mobile Portaloo for it's second MOT and I was told that the lower off-side tie rod on the rear anti-roll bar was worn out. A Fiat main dealer told me the anti roll bar is a complete unit and you cannot fit tie bars as separate components.

I was lead to believe that the entire anti-roll bar would have to be replaced at a cost of £471.15. The vehicle has only been driven 15,000 miles from new !!!!

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to fit an alternative rod, it sounds an awful lot of money for a worn bush, particularly if the other side breaks down and I have to change the whole roll bar again.

I'm not the original owner and its out of warranty, meanwhile I couldn't find anything on Fiats recall list although they seem to have roll bar problems with their cars.

I would appreciate some advice .........

Regards Nick

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Shttp://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/link-stabiliser/lemforder-31351-01_g3229_a03531351!01.html

Sorry Im not familiar with your model, but did a search and came up with this.

Most anti roll bar links are separate items, check it out.

regards
Steve:thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
OP
OP

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks all, I think I will give it a go myself as I have just been quoted £200 + VAT to supply and fit one. Reading here it's a simple job to do. :Eeek:

OP
OP

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well, I got a crossmember from a breakers for £51 delivered, it was as new. Degreased it and gave it a coat of Hammerite. Fitted it this morning in about 2 hours, not difficult but awkward. Was quoted £200 + VAT by a local garage. The old one, although rusty and paint flaking off is in a not too bad a condition. I would think a good wire brushing and treatment with cure rust and then a good paint with Hammerite would have seen it through the next few years. However, you dont know these thing until you get the old one off!! Any one want the old one for free before I take it to the scrappers? I can take it to Newbury Show or if your near Slough you can collect it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back