Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Someone posted on a thread the other day about prices of ferries to France........I've had a quick look back, but can't find it.

Just wondered if someone could advise on cheapest ferries from Portsmouth, probably going onwards to Brittany:RollEyes:

Had a look on Brittany Ferries and they were horrendous at £548 (return for 2 adults):whatthe: makes Cairnryan to Belfast look cheap:Doh:

Many thanks!
Margaret:Smile:

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Margaret, if you want to travel via Portsmouth, Brittany Ferries are your only option as far as I know. £548 return is not a bad price as things go, we paid over £300 one way in March. Your other options would be Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, Newhaven to Dieppe or Eurotunnel.

Brisey.

Edit.... Just noticed you said to Brittany, we travelled to Santander.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Brittany Ferries would be your only choice as far as i am aware from Portsmouth to either Le Harve, St Malo or Roscoff.
It will depend on time of crossing but if a night time one then you have to have a cabin as far as I know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Margaret, if you want to travel via Portsmouth, Brittany Ferries are your only option as far as I know. £548 return is not a bad price as things go, we paid over £300 one way in March. Your other options would be Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, Newhaven to Dieppe or Eurotunnel.

Brisey.

Edit.... Just noticed you said to Brittany, we travelled to Santander.

Hi Brisey!
Many thanks for your message and information! We're gathering up all the options/prices that we can with a view to going across over the next couple of months.
Will have a look at the other routes that you mention and weigh everything up costwise with ferry fare and the dreaded diesel costs:Blush: although I've assuming that it's got to be cheaper in France than it is in the UK at the mo.
Many thanks, Margaret:Smile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We always use LD Lines, either Portsmouth/Le Havre or more often Newhaven/Dieppe. Did Newhaven/Dieppe 4 weeks ago with Transit High-top long wheel-base, £120 return. If over 60 you get 20% off. Used to use Brittany Ferries years ago when their prices were sensible, but not now. :thumb:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We always use LD Lines, either Portsmouth/Le Havre or more often Newhaven/Dieppe. Did Newhaven/Dieppe 4 weeks ago with Transit High-top long wheel-base, £120 return. If over 60 you get 20% off. Used to use Brittany Ferries years ago when their prices were sensible, but not now. :thumb:

Sometimes there are good deals to be had if you're over 60..........still got a couple of years to go yet:roflmto:
Will have a look at LD Lines, many thanks:thumb:
Margaret

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Check Aferry, they have deals.. you MAY find a better price...

Jim, thanks for this, we hadn't heard of this company, but there seems to be quite a few options available out there, so will keep a note of this link:thumb:
Margaret

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Someone posted on a thread the other day about prices of ferries to France........I've had a quick look back, but can't find it.

Just wondered if someone could advise on cheapest ferries from Portsmouth, probably going onwards to Brittany:RollEyes:

Had a look on Brittany Ferries and they were horrendous at £548 (return for 2 adults):whatthe: makes Cairnryan to Belfast look cheap:Doh:

Many thanks!
Margaret:Smile:

We went to Brittany, ending up in Benodet, visiting friends last summer, with the van (7m +), 2 adults, 2 kids.

We went over on DFDS (Norfolk Line) Calais - Dunkirk, £72 return if I remember.

We had a couple of stops in France each way, including Honfleur, and Mont St Michel on the way down, and the aires at Le Treport and La Mailleraye sur Seine, on the way back.

We did about 1800 miles as we started from near Newcastle, so not so different from yourself on distance. Total fuel costs were about £400 (ok its a bit more expensive now), so the whole trip, ferry and fuel cost less than £500, so less than the £548 ferry price alone that you have been quoted.:thumb:

Hope that helps, feel free to ask if you want more info on our route etc.

Cheers..

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
LD Lines (Louis Drefus Armateurs), one of, if not the, oldest shipping company in Europe - took over the Portsmouth/Dieppe crossing originally after P&O pulled out of the longer crossings ...

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Doh! Finger trouble! Louis DreYfus ..................

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Dover - Dunkirk is £29 each way if you are members of caravan club. I guess it depends on how long you want to be driving when you get to France..

David

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
just booked dover calais in an 8.5m motorhome for £44 each way. It was only £25 a few weeks ago but we dithered and the price went up.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Have always made my recent ferry bookings through Aferry.com - very good prices. Cross-checked and they could not be beaten.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Obviously the choice of ferry crossing depends where you are departing from in the UK and where you are heading for in France ... In our case, travelling from west Wales to the south of Normandy the extra cost of diesel going to Dover far outways the cost of a longer crossing. No problem with driving in France but the journey to Dover is invariably purgatory.

(and Newhaven/Dieppe is only 4 hours)

:Smile:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Plan to use LD ferries next month, travelling to Brittany, but haven,nt booked yet, On internet booking did not see anything regarding over 60 discount, would be a good saving as going on my own......Del

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Plan to use LD ferries next month, travelling to Brittany, but haven,nt booked yet, On internet booking did not see anything regarding over 60 discount, would be a good saving as going on my own......Del

Hi. The over 60's 20% discount is only on the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing (Transmanche, part of LD). You just need to call the customer services number and book, you can't do it online. Only takes a couple of minutes and it's usually a very nice young French lady who speaks perfect English. :thumb: ... also check out the LD frequent traveller 'club' - after so many crossings you get a free crossing.

Google 'LD Lines', on right of page click on 'Good deals', then on 'Good to know'. Under 'good to know' click on 'loyalty programme' - when you've joined you only need to quote your membership number when you book.

For booking and getting the 20%, phone: 0800 917 8836

Last edited:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Hi. The over 60's 20% discount is only on the Newhaven/Dieppe crossing (Transmanche, part of LD). You just need to call the customer services number and book, you can't do it online. Only takes a couple of minutes and it's usually a very nice young French lady who speaks perfect English. :thumb: ... also check out the LD frequent traveller 'club' - after so many crossings you get a free crossing.

Google 'LD Lines', on right of page click on 'Good deals', then on 'Good to know'. Under 'good to know' click on 'loyalty programme' - when you've joined you only need to quote your membership number when you book.

For booking and getting the 20%, phone: 0800 917 8836

Thanks for that,very useful info...................Del

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back