Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Plan to travel down through France to spain and Portugal in May,and hope to use some Aires on the way down from Calais,our overall length is around 36ft,with bike trailer does anyone think we might have problems parking in the Aires,we have never used them before but have looked at some pics in here,but difficult to tell from them.Realise they are probably all different,but would appreciate advice from the more experienced than us.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Plan to travel down through France to spain and Portugal in May,and hope to use some Aires on the way down from Calais,our overall length is around 36ft,with bike trailer does anyone think we might have problems parking in the Aires,we have never used them before but have looked at some pics in here,but difficult to tell from them.Realise they are probably all different,but would appreciate advice from the more experienced than us.

Some YES you may have a problem...but mostly NO you should get in....some are very small and with a trailer you may take to many spaces up...but other aires would be no problem....if you have "all the Aires in France" book...and other Aires book it tells you how many vans allowed....but it will also tell if it takes large motorhomes look at the symbols.look for the larger sites some may even be very tight to get into......some are putting pay double barriers in and out..... you drive up the the front barrier.... but before the front barrier comes up the rear comes down so if your unit is to long Mmmmmm

Mel

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
"all the Aires in France" book...and other Aires book it tells you how many vans allowed

Mel
I have both books remind me and you can look at them when you come to the birthday bash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Some YES you may have a problem...but mostly NO you should get in....some are very small and with a trailer you may take to many spaces up...but other aires would be no problem....if you have "all the Aires in France" book...and other Aires book it tells you how many vans allowed....but it will also tell if it takes large motorhomes look at the symbols.look for the larger sites some may even be very tight to get into......some are putting pay double barriers in and out..... you drive up the the front barrier.... but before the front barrier comes up the rear comes down so if your unit is to long Mmmmmm

Mel

Hello Mel

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the other aires book?

Should the 'All the Aires' be re-named 'Many of the Aires' ?

Thanks

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello Mel

Thanks

Veevee....its just a name..... call it what ever you would like:winky:
Mel:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Done exactly that with a 36ft RV + box trailer, so overall about 48ft .. as said not all aires are suitable but many are...
I compiled a map of aires we used, any questions feel free to ask

French Aires, UK CLs & Sites suitable for RVs & Large Motorhomes

EDIT

you can download the POIs for your sat nav direct from Google maps in KML format and convert to suit ..
if unsure, I can email them to you.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello Jim

I can't see how to download this map to a GPS, may I ask if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I have a recent Garmin Nuvi 2460.

Thank you

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hello Jim

I can't see how to download this map to a GPS, may I ask if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I have a recent Garmin Nuvi 2460.

Thank you

Hi

look at the bottom right of attached picture .. see KML ... click on that on the Google map and that will download the POIs.

you can convert for Garmin (or any other format) using GPS Bable.. it's free.

Attachments

• French Aires, UK CLs & Sites suitable for RVs & Large Motorhomes - Google Maps.png
    French Aires, UK CLs & Sites suitable for RVs & Large Motorhomes - Google Maps.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Done exactly that with a 36ft RV + box trailer, so overall about 48ft .. as said not all aires are suitable but many are...
I compiled a map of aires we used, any questions feel free to ask

French Aires, UK CLs & Sites suitable for RVs & Large Motorhomes

EDIT

you can download the POIs for your sat nav direct from Google maps in KML format and convert to suit ..
if unsure, I can email them to you.
Thanks Jim,thats most helpful,will try and get my head round how to get this onto my sat nav (not the brightest when it comes to computers:Smile:)

redchad

Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month

Great post and great replies we are setting off on thursday towing a motorcycle. I was pondering the same question ive thought of various options such as, using the bike to scout out forward aires or i ride the bike and the misses drives the MH. with the help of the map it should be a lot easier

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only my opinion, but based on experience, the most comprehensive and best Aires guide is

Camping car Infos

For use without an internet you can either buy the USB stick for €15 + p/p
or
Download and install on your hard drive or USB stick for €8

Link Removed

I have it on DVD but that's old hat now ... :roflmto:

You can also download the Sat Nav POIs completely free

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello Jim

We'll be trying an Aire in the center of Vitoria-Gasteiz northern Spain in a couple of weeks, will it help anyone if I send you details to add to your map?

If so what do you need from me, apart from map reference, facilities and costs?

Thanks for the info on the French Aires site, is this the same facility as the books found in French supermarkets?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hello Jim

We'll be trying an Aire in the center of Vitoria-Gasteiz northern Spain in a couple of weeks, will it help anyone if I send you details to add to your map?

If so what do you need from me, apart from map reference, facilities and costs?

Thanks for the info on the French Aires site, is this the same facility as the books found in French supermarkets?

Hi

Yes, that would be very helpful .. if you could also say what the max size of van it can take.. and if it has good access.. :thumb:

Basically yes, Camping car infos is a data base of Aires complied by members .. also has pictures, reviews and a Google map for each location .. it covers most European counties, not just France. Books are also good .. just another string to your bow, and you can't have too many .. . personally I prefer the French publications.. but All The Aires has the benefit of being in English .. horses for courses..

cheers

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi I have traveled through to Malaga for the last 3 years, when I have my motorbike trailer on I tend to travel during the night as then I can get onto a lot of aires when they are empty dureing the day and very peacefull for a propper sleep :Smile::thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the only issues I have is my size

The only issue I have is my size .. nearly came unstuck on the last trip, turned in to an Aires on a river side and there was not enough room to turn around with the trailer.. so carried on down the side of the river, and it go narrower and narrower... panic stations.. the mirror was in the bushes on the left and the side of the river was getting very close to the other side... RV's do not swim..

Lucky all of a sudden a bridge over the river, but a very hard turn to make.. so it is the size of the vehicle and the access (often to late when you turn in) that causes the problems. But we also travel at night and that way you can get in often as others are leaving...

Mainly had the French walking around the RV looking at it. But no one has said anything to me.

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello Mel

Thanks

Jamie........picture sent...here...Mel:thumb:

Attachments

• img027.jpg
    img027.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 14

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks Mel, much appreciated.

Jamie

Jamie I have highlighted one section.. the length 12m long..the picture is from a older book that is in the house the more up to date is in the motorhome, but it gives the idea of sizes

Mel

Attachments

• img027 (2).jpg
    img027 (2).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 20
  • img027 (3).jpg
    img027 (3).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun