Speed stickers France/Spain (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Have any Funsters used speed stickers whilst travelling through France and Spain?
If so would you please advise me as to the kph ratings for a motorhome over 3.5t towing a trailer.
I have not normally bothered but a friend of mine was stopped yesterday and given a lot
of hassle by a Spaniard jobsworth policeman. No fine was issued but a warning given so
I thought that I would be a law abbiding Brit abroard.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes it is 90 klm per hour

I had one made for my trailer at a show it is 90 in the circle .... as I am between 3.5 and 7.5 plus a trailer.

Bob

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
have any funsters used speed stickers whilst travelling through france and spain?
If so would you please advise me as to the kph ratings for a motorhome over 3.5t towing a trailer.
I have not normally bothered but a friend of mine was stopped yesterday and given a lot
of hassle by a spaniard jobsworth policeman. No fine was issued but a warning given so
i thought that i would be a law abbiding brit abroard.
Motorhomes over 3.5 ton....80, 100, 110, that is without trailer......numbers 6" in size black on white,
I would think after 7.5t speed ratings will be different

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
As I said 90 kph

As I said it is 90 kph with a trailer between 3.5 and 7.5 tons.

Meeting the regs is better than trying to argue the law..... especially with a Spanish plod

Bob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
stick 'em all on....30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130 and if going to Italy, ???, 'cos you have no idea how fast you'll be going

cant go far wrong then :winky::roflmto:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Broken Link Removed

Link Removed

there you go top link is the speed/weight ratio tables and the bottom link is for getting the right speed stickers.

I carry them but have not put them on my van, as i seem to remember there being some dissension on whether we had to put them on or not being visitors especially as we work in mph and not kmh. But if stopped and asked for them i can produce them and put them on.
I do remember years ago having to display a 50mph sticker on my caravan way back in the 70/80s

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
on my baby trailer

on my baby scooter trailer I have the 90 and it looks very odd when it is in the UK behind a car and not the RV... same as I have on the bay trailer tailboard the words if you cannot see my mirrors I cannot see you.. the trailer is draft by the RV.. but behind a car the sign looks silly.

Bob

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Broken Link Removed

Link Removed

there you go top link is the speed/weight ratio tables and the bottom link is for getting the right speed stickers.

I carry them but have not put them on my van, as i seem to remember there being some dissension on whether we had to put them on or not being visitors especially as we work in mph and not kmh. But if stopped and asked for them i can produce them and put them on.
I do remember years ago having to display a 50mph sticker on my caravan way back in the 70/80s

Thanks for that. Just a quick qeustion though....

Under 3.5T is one set of speeds. Over 3.5T is another set of speeds. What happens if you are actually on 3.5T. Is it 3.5T and under... OR 3.5T and over....

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you read the first link Gromet.
if you are towing and your train weight is under 3.5 ton its 1 speed set
if you are not towing but over 3.5 ton its another set of speeds also used for under 3.5 ton train weight if towing in bad weather.

and if towing and your train weight is over 3.5 ton its another set of speeds.

and from looking at it they use the weight plate on the towing vehicle to determine which set of speeds is right.

so i read it as if you are under 3.5 ton and not towing you dont need to display the stickers at all.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have stickers 80 100 110 but I now understand they are the wrong size (4" instead of 6"), though bought in good faith. I feel the French plog should give me credit for trying :RollEyes:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not got 'em! Haven't been stopped, yet have seen lots of Police!:Smile:

Why bother?

Makes for an interesting thread I suppose...........:thumb:

Now where's my A Frame and narcotic gas detection system?:winky:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have never had stickers and just been in France / Spain for 3 1/2 months, we do the same as the French and Spanish when they come over here, the only difference is we try and stick to the speed limits. :winky::ROFLMAO:

If we had the same law, would they MPH stickers on there vehicles. :RollEyes:

The only thing I would say is, if you are towing a trailer or caravan and you are over 12m long fit the reflective lorry marker boards on your trailer.

We are under 11m so don't have to worry about it. ::bigsmile: Bob.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I've never really understood the point of these stickers, they actually all seem quite pointless to me....:Eeek:

So many speeds, so many variables, and who actually pays any attention to them as you go past another vehicle?

It's either safe to pass or it isn't....:Blush:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
if you read the first link Gromet.
if you are towing and your train weight is under 3.5 ton its 1 speed set
if you are not towing but over 3.5 ton its another set of speeds also used for under 3.5 ton train weight if towing in bad weather.

and if towing and your train weight is over 3.5 ton its another set of speeds.

and from looking at it they use the weight plate on the towing vehicle to determine which set of speeds is right.

so i read it as if you are under 3.5 ton and not towing you dont need to display the stickers at all.

I did download and read the first link. I am 3.5T and not towing.

There are 3 sections.

The first section states "Under 3.5T". I don't fit this catagory as I am exactly 3.5T not under :Sad:

The second section states "over 3.5T". I don't fit this catagory as I am exactly 3.5T not over :Sad:

I won't even go into the third category as it definately does not apply.

Where do us motorhomers with a 3.5T panel van sit please?

I am not trying to be akward...

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just stick any old stickers on if you are worried, mph, kph, the works.:winky:

Because anyhow who is actually checking them?...

How many Funsters have been fined over this, never mind even stopped?

.....and if you actually have been stopped, and you had some stickers, has anyone really checkied that they are the "appropriate" ones.

I believe there must be more people gassed in their vans every year, than get fined for missing or wrong speed stickers on the back of their vans.

:Doh::RollEyes:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
When driving an artic in northern Spain I was stopped and fined for not having the appropriate speed stickers displayed on the trailer.

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Driving an Apache 700 motorhome down to Spain weight 4250 KG what sins do I need and where do I get them from

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although I have these stickers I'm not convinced it's beneficial. By having them you are advertising that you are over 3500kg, which in a eurovan, is not obvious just by looking. I believe some are driving the same van as me rated at 3500kg, which would be overweight as soon as the driver got in.

On that topic, I spotted this van, licensed as PLG (3500 or less), do you believe that's true?

Attachments

• arapaho.jpg
    arapaho.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 18

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
[HI]When driving an artic [/HI]in northern Spain[HI] I was stopped and fined [/HI]for not having the appropriate speed stickers displayed on the trailer.

Has anyone actually been stopped and fined in a motorhome?

Do any Funsters have direct experience of this happening to them, other than a friend of a friend knew a guy who heard that......

IMHO the only sticker that should be required to be displayed on a motorhome, is a MOTORHOME FUN sticker..:winky:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I am considering getting 50/60/70 to put on - if only to let the poor frustrated drivers behind me know why I am going so slow!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back