MOT work today, not done and new problem (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My van failed its MOT last Tuesday and I was booked in to get the work done today. I turned up at 8:30 and at 9:15 I went in to see what the delay was. He said one of the parts hadn't turned up and he would rather do all the jobs at once rather than strip down and restart again.

I suggested postponing till all the parts were in. He was grateful and booked me in for wednesday. I went back to the van to drive back to the campsite and saw a puddle of brown coloured water under the van.

I got down on my back and looked underneath and the side of the radiator was leaking along the seam.

Back in to the garage to get a price for a new radiator. Luckily on Offer at the moment so ony £99 + Vat and 1 hours work approx. So £160 ish added to the bill. Now it is booked in all day wednesday. Possibly 7-8 hours of work to do :cry:

Each time I go to the garage with this van I find more expense.....

Never had an MOT failure on previous vehicles, damned expensive. In the last year I have spent as much on repairs and spares as I did to buy the van in the first place....

Whoever gets this van after me will get a van that has a large number of new parts on it :thumb:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
What a bu**er! I've had cars like that in the past, so understand how you feel.

Fingers crossed everything gets put right and you sail on repair free from now on.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the way to look at this Gromett is to think that once you have replaced everything it should be good as new for a few years to come.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is a shame you are not nearer to JCD Repairs in Sennybridge Karl.. a very motorhome friendly MOT/Repair garage and they (John and Cath) (Champers) let me stay there as the repairs/service/test was done...

The most pleasant MOT and service I have ever had...

Next year I recommend timing your MOT with the Camarthen Meet and have a visit to Red Kite camping too...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was going to go over to Champers for it. But I needed to stay within half an hour of mother after her op. I wanted to get away from her house so that she had to do stuff for herself but not so far that if she needed me I could get there quick.

As you say JJ. All in the timing...

After spending £1,200 last year I thought everything would be great this year. No matter how many parts you replace there is always some more that can/will go wrong... I am just learning to expect the worse with this one :Doh:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
While I was getting the work done they noticed my sump was weeping. Looking at it I am sure it will hold up for at least a couple of weeks but it does need replacing before I do my long trip.

He reckons he can't get OEM parts and said it would probably need to be bought from the dealer. Last time he got one it was £250+Vat.

I just did a random ebay search today just in case and found them for 77Euros ::bigsmile:

I am happy again :ROFLMAO:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
They don't make em like they used ta do:Doh: weeping sumps:Eeek: whats that all about? I've never had to replace a sump, ever, in all my years of motoring:Angry: sure its not just a gasket?:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We had to replace the sump on our Smart car (X reg) because it had perforated. Not gasket leaking but pin prick holes in the metalwork.

John

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They don't make em like they used ta do:Doh: weeping sumps:Eeek: whats that all about? I've never had to replace a sump, ever, in all my years of motoring:Angry: sure its not just a gasket?:thumb:

No there are tiny holes in the bottom of the sump which the oil seeps through. It occasionally blocks up with gunk which means it will keep going for a while but better to replace now before it totally gives way.

I ordered it today. £90 including a new gasket ::bigsmile:

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
I am so glad i am skint and cant afford a decent motor and able to fix my own, but then again i dont trust many garages, as said one good point is when all done you will know its all good for another good few ears.

I do a lot of repairs for other folk, its scary when they come to me with MOT failures, some MOT folk should be struck off, i wont go into much detail but some do it for the hope they get the work, or they are just incompitant. like me at spelling LOL.

Always got me though about sumps for a few years, full of oil and mostly oil on the outside, and the rust, but once i did know of a sump that had actualy become pourous with oil seaping through it, literaly through it in one area, how bizare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back