How long before it's £2.0 ltr. (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yesterday I passed 2 petrol stations where the price of diesel had gone above £1.50 Ltr. I wonder how long it will be before we are paying £2.00 ltr. ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'll NEVER pay £2 a litre, will go to a horse and cart long before that. The price of fuel is a joke, whilst the general cost of living in this country is lower than most the cost and excessive taxation on fuel is a disgrace, the whole country depends on fuel. Time to go back to horsepower, local produce and use the by products to produce more home grown vegetables and the methane to cook them with.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
While more and more vehicles are made which fall into the zero road tax or £30 bracket, the tax on fuel will increase. Where would the government raise the tax from otherwise that they no longer raise from the vehicle road fund license. Perhaps it's time to stop the low tax rate on these 'green' vehicles. Afterall they still wear out the roads as all vehicles do (and I know only a small part of the road tax revenue is actually spent on roads, before anyone points this out ).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I do not think the public would accept it

I do not think the general public would accept it for start off as that sort of leap will hit the delivery of everything... there are such things as a bridge to far.. like Roger I would seriously consider the options. While a horse and cart for me are a no go, I used to have a horse many years back .. but they are not cheap if you have to stable them.. go for Rodger and his small holding.

But I think in the near future it would be the light to the tinder box.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am not that old but remember similar things being said when £1 a gallon was floated ::bigsmile: then £2 :Smile: let alone ltrs
terry

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Yesterday I passed 2 petrol stations where the price of diesel had gone above £1.50 Ltr. [HI] I wonder how long it will be before we are paying £2.00 ltr.[/HI] ?

At about 8:30 am on Tuesday.........:cry:

Callum

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yesterday I passed 2 petrol stations where the price of diesel had gone above £1.50 Ltr. [HI]I wonder how long it will be before we are paying £2.00 ltr. ?[/HI]

As soon as a govt of whatever colour thing they can get away with that level of taxation.
The great British public will moan, the roll over and pay up as usual, rather than giving politicians generally awake up call by kicking the offending govt out.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
The same sort of thing could be said of house prices,who would have thought 15 years ago what a house would cost today in relation to average income?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
M5 services today diesel £154.9:Sad: thats almost 7:censored:2:censored:2£ a gallon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am not that old but remember similar things being said when £1 a gallon was floated ::bigsmile: then £2 :Smile: let alone ltrs
terry

Exactly, Terry. I remember a conversation with school friends about 50 years ago. We shared an ambition to (eventually) secure a job with a final salary level of £1,000 pa.
Reverting to prices of days gone by would require reverting to pay levels of days gone by.

Overall prices and incomes have always (in general) risen or fallen together and there is no reason why that will not continue. Individuals will consider options but society in general will live with it just as we have in past decades.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I remember some real posh houses being built years ago and they were 100 000£ I remember saying who has that sort of money they will never sell them.A few years ago they had 4 houses near me in a gated area starting at 1.5 million:Doh:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
While more and more vehicles are made which fall into the zero road tax or £30 bracket, the tax on fuel will increase. Where would the government raise the tax from otherwise that they no longer raise from the vehicle road fund license. Perhaps it's time to stop the low tax rate on these 'green' vehicles. Afterall they still wear out the roads as all vehicles do (and I know only a small part of the road tax revenue is actually spent on roads, before anyone points this out ).

Hearsay I know, but somebody was telling me last week that they saw an item on TV which reported that this was under serious consideration and likely to happen sooner rather than later.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
M5 services today diesel £154.9:Sad: thats almost 7:censored:2:censored:2£ a gallon

Crikey, that's bad! But services usually are a lot dearer, we paid £1.52 a litre in our local "rip-off merchant's" the other day:cry:

But living in a very rural area we've no option sadly:Angry:

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
As always us Brit just moan and pay up, But not me, they can stick there fuel, i will be runni g WVO and save a hundreds a year atleast, it can be got for around 36p per litre unfiltered, or filtered 75pl in bulk at min 1000l, thing is, its only for diesel engines and not all diesel engine scan run on it, morso the newer HDI engines etc. I can run 2500l a year without paying any tax on it, thats the best bit because this country gets enough dam tax, yes it mite get close to £1 per liter of fuel on tax bit what about the reat of the things we buy and do, another 20% tax.

Just think how much of our wages are is taken in tax, scary to think of isnt it.

I have worked and payed tax all my 20 years of working life, yes not long to some but as of recent i have needed help, not a load but i was on sick for a few months and in the end i needed help with a few things.......like i can rely on this country to help me out after i have helped it out, not a dam penny was offered.

So i have decided to do my own thing and give the least i can to the tax man and other scroungers but still live like i did, if not better:winky::winky:

Stress over with its to late, and i dont normaly do stress:RollEyes:

Come on guys who can use WVO ( waiste veggie oil) do so and svae a fortune, i need to do an engine swap as my diesel pump ( lucas ) wont take it but other engine will and i am prepared to swap my engine to use veggi oil::bigsmile:

Oh and road tax, christ why so much on some vehicles, tax bands are stupid also, my mate pays the £30 per year and does 10K a year, i will be paying over £220 road tax and doing no mre than 4K miles a year, somebody please expalin, and i dont believe its all about emmisions when the road tax is or should be for road repairs etc etc.

Wayne over and out:RollEyes:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Makro (and not the cheapest as they rip you off given half a chance) cooking oil £18-99 for 20 litre drum = 95p a litre

Peter

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Will / would it - they would not dare - all comments that have been said - It will - reflect on these facts - in 1963 when I had my first car I was paying 2 shillings and 9 pence per Gallon - now for those that dont know what those measurements and values mean that means that 49 years ago petrol was just 3.09 pence per litre so if we accept that prices are now an average of £1.45p per litre then they have risen in that time by roughly 4692.55 % - IF you then work out what price you will pay in 49 years time assuming the same % applies it will be £68.04 per LITRE that means that the average 'fill' price of £100 will become £3206.08 :Eeek: If you look at house prices in the last 44 years they have gone up by - wait for it 11,111% :Eeek::Eeek:

The sad thing is that successive goverments have championed house building without thinking of the jobs that people need - publice transport is desperately expensive so the need for people to travel to work every day is a fact of life - it is nothing for people to think of driving 30 40 or even 50 miles each way to work every day - so the dependance on the car it means a guaranteed income for the treasury from many back door taxes

Right thats me off me soap box

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What was the average wage/salary in 1963? £500 pa? Not sure as I was still at school ::bigsmile:

Now it's around £25,000 pa, about 50 times as much. 50 x 3p per litre - £1.50 per litre. It's all relative ::bigsmile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What was the average wage/salary in 1963? £500 pa? Not sure as I was still at school ::bigsmile:

Now it's around £25,000 pa, about 50 times as much. 50 x 3p per litre - £1.50 per litre. It's all relative ::bigsmile:

Maybe but paying One pound nine shillings (£1-45p) for a loaf of bread hurts us old uns. For you wet behind the ears youngsters there was 20 shillings to the £

It used to be about a shilling 5p !!

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Maybe but paying One pound nine shillings (£1-45p) for a loaf of bread hurts us old uns. For you wet behind the ears youngsters there was 20 shillings to the £

It used to be about a shilling 5p !!

Peter

You must go to a heck of a dear bread shop, Peter ::bigsmile: Same principle applies though with pay to price ratios.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

A good job would give £1300 average @ £1000 and a labourers job between £600 and £800 all per annum . Back then there was a lot of overtime paid - bear in mind there was no 'working time directive' and all the other legistlation that is about today the average man worked 5 1/2 days per week minimum of 48 hours normal work and then get as much overtime as possible - I was lucky when I was a youngster I used to work between 70 and 80 hours per week. So my pay packet was a good one

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Makro (and not the cheapest as they rip you off given half a chance) cooking oil £18-99 for 20 litre drum = 95p a litre

Peter

Did that during the last petrol strike through necessity. Worked fine.
Next day I cleaned asda out... They banned me on the third day....

Turns out you are supposed to report this type of usage to HMRC....

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Did that during the last petrol strike through necessity. Worked fine.
Next day I cleaned asda out... They banned me on the third day....

Turns out you are supposed to report this type of usage to HMRC....

Dosent matter if they do as you can legaly use upto 2500l a year, but you need to keep a log of what you use in oil and diesel mix, thats if you mix it, if you dant keep a log and you get pulled they can then you are in deep do do. They work it on the miles on your clock and how much fuel you have used etc etc, take a average MPG for the vehicle you are driving.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do you just pour the oil straight into the tank and mix it with the existing diesel?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Treacle lots do 50 / 50 mix while others do a 75 / 25 oil mix
terry

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

[HI]Now it's around £25,000 pa[/HI], about 50 times as much. 50 x 3p per litre - £1.50 per litre. It's all relative ::bigsmile:

I am not getting out of bed for that Graham... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
It depends on the weather as cold weather thickens it up, so harder for the pump, so the colder it is the less oil you can use, but there is a twin tank system you can use where once its at running temp you flick a switch and run from diesel to oil, you can also have a pre heater to heat the oil to thin it, it sounds complicated but once you find out what your engine can run its easy to know what mix you can run, but you can add it to a seperate tank/gerry can to mix with diesel then add to your vehicle.
If you google search using WVO or using veg oil etc there is lots of info on how to go about it, best to read up as if you add veggie to the wrong engine it will be a VERY expensive repair.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Yesterday I passed 2 petrol stations where the price of diesel had gone above £1.50 Ltr. I wonder how long it will be before we are paying £2.00 ltr. ?

Not long it seems

Ms Ecclestone pumped in nearly 40 litres at Texaco, Sloane Services in Chelsea, London, but at a whopping 183.9 pence per litre her bill came to £73.41 :Eeek:

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 13

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not long it seems

:

indeed, today in fact ..

A PETROL station chief was last night charging £2 a litre for fuel — to stop "panic buying".

Ron James ramped up the price of unleaded AND diesel — then denied he was cashing in on the shortages caused by the tanker drivers' strike.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/1300304/Petrol-station-charges-2-per-litre-to-stop-panic-buying.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back