Free Member
Mar 5, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been at it 18 month
We land in France next week and i want to go onto French gas on arrival, am i right in thinking gas bottles will be esay to find and that i will be able to buy a french regulators at the same time.

Anything else i need to bear in mind

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, very easy. All the major supermarkets have a forecourt where they have a petrol station and usually sell a variety of gas bottles. I particularly like the 'Le Cube' brand which is a reinforced plastic container so less weight/noise. Obviously you'll need an adaptor 'Le Clip' which you'll get at either the supermarket itself or a DIY store such as 'Bricomarche' (Brico... being French for DIY type stuff). They are often sited alongside the supermarkets. I found the staff were always helpful with all of this.
Have a good trip
Wyn

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Can get gas bottles at most supermarkets, just sign a contract and when you are leaving France take bottle back to any supermarket of same chain ie; Auchan and hand in contract and bottle for refund on bottle,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I did notice that the gas seemed very expensive in France, large bottles were about €30 and autogas € 0.96 . But then we had been in Spain a while paying € 13. 27 for a large Propane. :thumb: Bob.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Link Removed

All Bricolage & Motorhome sales.... will have Regulators..!... but they will not be cheap...look at the price on links posted
Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Link Removed

Gas in France is about 21 euros for 11kg...and 24 euros 13kb....these are supermarkets....e.g. ACTIGAZ....or Super U
LPG / GPL
Main roads NOT supermarkets lpg..is around 93...to 98 euros...

Supermarkets will be less if the stock it..

Gasoil Diesel is going up weekly...around us it was 1.43,9...1.40 euros per ltr......also Petrol keeps going up

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Gas in France is about 21 euros for 11kg...and 24 euros 13kb....these are supermarkets....e.g. ACTIGAZ....or Super U
LPG / GPL
Main roads NOT supermarkets lpg..is around 93...to 98 euros...

Supermarkets will be less if the stock it..

Gasoil Diesel is going up weekly...around us it was 1.43,9...1.40 euros per ltr......also Petrol keeps going up

"Le Cube Gaz" Link Removed

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We land in France next week and i want to go onto French gas on arrival, am i right in thinking gas bottles will be esay to find and that i will be able to buy a french regulators at the same time.

Anything else i need to bear in mind

We have an empty 13kg bottle and regulator that you're welcome to borrow.
There's no rush to return it if you get hooked and fancy a second trip :Smile:

We are near the M6/M56 junction.
PM if you are interested.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
At our local Champion store we paid 1 euro deposit, 23 euros for the gas and a regulator supplied f.o.c ...... :winky:

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
At our local Champion store we paid 1 euro deposit, 23 euros for the gas and a regulator supplied f.o.c ...... :winky:

what size bottle and is this an available deal when we arive in france thanks in advance glyn

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
what size bottle and is this an available deal when we arive in france thanks in advance glyn

There is always a deal on somewhere in the area - Carrefour has a choice of about 8 different types of bottle at the moment. That particular bottle was about 14/15kg I think. One of the cheapest we had was from the village 'restaurant ouvrier'/dépot de pain/tabac last year - transaction completed over a bottle of bubbly ... :thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
getting a french bottle

l got my french bottle last December in France
This is how I did
1) buy one of this on -line Link Removed This adaptor will fit into the end of the pig tail when you unscrew your uk calor bottle (you do that when ypu change the calor bottles) THe other end of this adaptor will fit onto any French propane bottle. So you are ready to use french bottle gas.

2) I do not speak French so I draw a picture of a gas bottle with the word propane written on it on paper. and went to a carrefour supermarket Located the help/customer service desk (usually next to check out area) Showed the paper to the personal. I was given a form to fill in (in french ) but i was able to work out it needed my name and address So I filled in my name and did use an address of a friend in France. (at least 200mls away, can use any cammp site address also ). The lady did not even look at what I wrote. Took my credit card processed it Gave me back my card treceipt and copy of form which later I found out that I can use it to get back my deposit of the bottle on its return (i kept the bottle on my return to uk so I can exchange it again next time out) She then took me outside and gave me a 13kg propane bottle That was it

3) I then fit the bottle in the carpark and ready for use.
The cost was 29 euro for the bottle and 10 euro for the deposit.
It is really that simple
Have a good trip

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
Before going to France we bought a stainless steel pigtail and 2 adapters from Gaslow to cover all european eventualities - very knowledgable and helpful people.

Initially we used one Le Cube with one of our calor bottles but wanted more flexibility so we now have 2 Le Cube propane bottles. Bought both from Leclerc in Boulogne. Filled out the documentation with GB address - no problems. We keep the Le Cubes for our french trips and put calor bottles back in for GB trips.

Works for us! :thumb: but we spend most of our time in France.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back