Sky satellite card/subscription in motorhome problem (1 Viewer)

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 12v Sky box with card slot in our motorhome but as we use the card at home the card will not work in the motorhome!

How do other motorhomers get subscribed Sky channels in their motorhomes?

Regards
Peter

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
By using the same box. Mine is a 12/ 240 volt, so can plug ether into mains or 12 volt and get all my Sky programs.

Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Don said above...take the one from home....your card is matched to the receiver when its first activated

if its 230v only then a small inverter will power it from your battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As said the card is "paired" with the box, principally to stop people just moving cards into any box wherever they go.

Alternatively for the cost of £10 per month you could have Sky "Multiroom" fitted. They will give you an additional sky box fitted in another room in your home, then you could use this box in the motorhome.

You could also get another card from Sky for about £10 one off payment. They will match this card to your existing box in the van, but you will only get the "free" channels.

Otherwise just transfer you existing home box in and out as you come and go.

Callum

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have a 12v Sky box with card slot in our motorhome but as we use the card at home the card will not work in the motorhome!

How do other motorhomers get subscribed Sky channels in their motorhomes?

Regards
Peter

I don't use any cards in all s*y 7 boxes and they all work:winky::thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The only channels you won't get when using the card from home in the motorhome are the premium ones (movies, sport etc.)

You will still get all other subscription channels without a problem.

If the premium channels are important to you, then a multi-room package would probably be best.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
Find that very strange that the card will not work in another box. We have three different Sky boxes, Two in the house and a Pace Javelin in the Van and the card gets swapped all the time, No Probs.
It does take a few seconds to 'Fire Up' But we have been doing this for years, with several renewed cards.
Maybe its a 'Up North Thing'
Best Regards, Mac

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not ideal but the Sky Go app on the IPad ( and I'm sure other platforms) allows you to watch all your sky channels including the premium ones.

I was able to watch the F1 in the MH a few weeks back whilst the main telly was showing Scooby Do ::bigsmile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From memory sky multiroom wont work as you have to have a phone line to each box. The reason for this is to prevent you giving a box to someone else in your street who would then have a full package for next to nowt

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou

Thankyou for all your replies.
We still have the original Sky + box at home.
We are planning on having an inverter fitted as we have a 11 year old disabled son who needs his Xbox and Sky channels.
We have one solar panel fitted at the moment but plan to get a second fitted. We have 2, 100amp leisure batteries.
Regards
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back