Mar 29, 2012
Telford
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello there

Up to a couple of days ago, we'd never really thought about Motor-Homes and caravans on narrow country roads drove us insane. Many years ago when I was in my 20's/30's I owned and at one time lived on various boats ...but then I got married and all that had to go................... but I digress.

My wife and I have had a dream that when I retired, we'd relocate to France but are now finding out that it's not all plain sailing buying in mainland Europe if you can't afford to keep your British property as well, so we suddenly thought about getting a used Motor-Home and touring round looking for property.

We found a local dealership in our home town and went to get some information. We expected to stay about 30 minutes. 3 hours or so later and reeling with information both from the sales guy and a couple we met there who introduced us to this website, we are just becoming aware that we need to know an awful lot more in order that we can assess how little we actually know about any of this! Furthermore, we've also realised that if we're going to spend months touring round Europe we don't actually need to buy anywhere over there!

But I'm still a newbie with no experience (and as yet no M/Home) and will have to come back here and ask folk some pretty basic questions about Motor-Homing............... that OK????

R of Y

PS I don't live in York, although I was born there; my name is Richard though!

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Hi Rihard and welcome:welcomefunster:. I 'm not called Richard... but i am from York !!!!

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Hi Richard of York,
Like the post.We were where you are about a year or so ago and have been on the road a lot since.We had a false start by buying too small before getting to something manageble which you can live happily for a couple of months at a time in.Good luck with your search and you have come to the right place to get advice as this lot know a lot!:thumb:
Johnstey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
:welcomefunster:

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy..

Regards....Griff....not from York .....but a bit of a dick
:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Welcome to MH Fun

:welcomefunster:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome R.O.Y.

just remember the only daft question is the question you didnt ask - it could be more important than you thought.
On here you will find members with small, medium,large motorhomes, also those with self build mororhomes and those with american units, so the general knowledge base is very very big

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hello there

Up to a couple of days ago, we'd never really thought about Motor-Homes and caravans on narrow country roads drove us insane. Many years ago when I was in my 20's/30's I owned and at one time lived on various boats ...but then I got married and all that had to go................... but I digress.

My wife and I have had a dream that when I retired, we'd relocate to France but are now finding out that it's not all plain sailing buying in mainland Europe if you can't afford to keep your British property as well, so we suddenly thought about getting a used Motor-Home and touring round looking for property.

We found a local dealership in our home town and went to get some information. We expected to stay about 30 minutes. 3 hours or so later and reeling with information both from the sales guy and a couple we met there who introduced us to this website, we are just becoming aware that we need to know an awful lot more in order that we can assess how little we actually know about any of this! Furthermore, we've also realised that if we're going to spend months touring round Europe we don't actually need to buy anywhere over there!

But I'm still a newbie with no experience (and as yet no M/Home) and will have to come back here and ask folk some pretty basic questions about Motor-Homing............... that OK????

R of Y

PS I don't live in York, although I was born there; my name is Richard though!

Hi Richard of York.....I am Mel of York - shire...... yes I was born there and lived there for many Years... but we now live in France....Welcome to MHFun Richard:thumb: all I can say have a good look around at motorhomes there are lots of good motorhomes at low mileage...take your time and don't buy on impulse...ask for as many test drives as possible, sit in them, move around them, take stock of items you will want add look for fully loaded MHs, like televisions, sat dish, canopy, bike racks, solar panels, two hab batteries, check the tyres well, look at the date on the tyres...rule of thumb 5 to 6 years may need changing, check cam belt has been changed or may need changing....turbo have a bit more grunt,...Petrol are mainly older European vans can be heavy on MPG..... or RV american :winky::thumb:

Mel:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi and :welcome:

They really are a knowledgeable lot on here, without a doubt:thumb:

Funny you are complemplating moving to France, we've been talking about this for a while now as well:Cool:

Bill & Margaret::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi Richard - may you never have to give battle in vain nor find your titfer in a thorn-bush !

:roflmto:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will find lots of good advice on here, but the key to finding the right motor home is to keep looking and trying it out.

What you want now will change regularly!! There will be some compromise needed somewhere, but you do need to look and try them out as what may suit one, may not suit you. Once you have found that, you then need to look at your needs - in the case of yourselves, I would think it would be something reliable, and not too long in the body to save costs on ferries and recovery.

On the interior side, look for something with plenty of space, as you will need it. Check you ca get into the oven and fridge comfortably as what may be 'acceptable' now may drain your patience later (many you end up with your rear pressed up against the toilet cubicle to open the oven!)

Good luck with your search, download the buyers guide manual supplied by Jim and keep searching and trying them out!:thumb:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
HI and welcome to fun, if you need any advice travel etc for scandinavia just post a request,Cheers Alf:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Fun, don't disregard older vans, a lot do not do large a mileage and the build quality is excellent, take your time look around, there is a lot of world out there to explore in a motorhome, and on fun always of free friendly advice. Good Luck.

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
welcome

Hello and Welcome to Fun..You will get all the technical advice you need (He He) and a bit of friendly banter

Hope we did not put you off buying a Motorhome..You will be picking up tricks and traits from many travellers over the years. We are still learning new ways and new ideas after many years of caravanning and motorhoming.

What ever you decide and what ever model you get, Enjoy and Love every minute of the ups and downs....We Do...:thumb:

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hello & welcome

The following may be of some use and suggest anyone thinking of the motorhome lifestyle
we recommend you go to somewhere like the Peterborough show where you will have fun and enjoy a brilliant time looking round many different motorhomes and bits and pieces. The first time you go there is too much to get in, in one day.
We saw this advertised for this years show.

"BRAND NEW FOR 2012 - The National Motorhome Show and MMM will present a series of FREE seminars open to all visitors. The seminars will take place over two days on Friday 27th April and Saturday 28th and will cover some of the most important aspects of buying and using a motorhome. The seminars will cover areas such as buying your first motorhome, preparing your motorhome for travelling abroad or for long-terming and how to deter thieves from trying to steal (or steal from) your motorhome. Availability will be on a first come basis and details on speakers, seminar times and further topics will be confirmed early next year."
Best of luck in your quest.
Ann & Harry

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Have a good look around,there are some bargains out there.We bought ours about 12 months ago,1997 mercedes 2.9 Sprinter 4 berth Compass clipper only 32000 miles,lovingly looked after 3 previous owners,air suspension fitted,camera,microwave etc.£13000.

Attachments

• newquay 021 [1600x1200] [800x600].jpg
    newquay 021 [1600x1200] [800x600].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
R

RichardofYork

Free Member
Mar 29, 2012
Telford
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
When one door closes another one shuts!

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied to my 'Total Novice' intro.... thanks for all the messages of encouragement. We're still no further on in fact if anything we're going backwards. We did put a deposit down on a used MH and then discovered that it wouldn't work out right for us and had to cancel the deal; seems we could have lost £2K deposit over this although we've left it with the dealer to keep a look out for one which more closely matches our requirements... but it's left us feeling 'burnt'. What we need is one with sleeping arrangements for two in two berths on the same level ie not utilising a berth over the driving position. We also need to be able to put the driving seat as far back as possible (no bulkheads behind driving seat, so rear bathroom seems to be the thing). I'm having trouble finding anything around 24' length/ £24K max price which comes close. Perhaps we'll have to stick to bricks and mortar after all.

R.o.Y.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Welcome from us also

A warm welcome from us also to MHF...

I echo the thoughts about a visit to Peterborough show.. lots of vehicles to see (for sale) and also those camping if you can get to the camping fields... MHF are there, about 100 of us.. look for the big yellow flag with the smile on it.. or in the trade area lots of us with badges on.

Peterborough would allow you to see many dealers and many motor homes plus all the parts we end up buying for our dreams.. gives you a better feel for the idea of having a motor home.

Often it takes owning a few before you find the right one. Even with 25 years under my belt it still took me nearly 2 years to find my present American RV...

Anyway glad you put a post on here and we hope you will get lots of advice. The subs are £10 a year and well worth paying it.. best £10 you will spend.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Richard
Dont despare,there will be a m/h which u will fall in love with,may take awhile or could be tomorrow that is all part of looking and motorhoming.
Its great fun looking at them although it can seem like nothing suits and u can get disheartened ,but u will find one::bigsmile:

Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back