Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Has TOMTOM removed from all sat navs with European mapping the French safety camera's

Well my Tom Tom 1000 is about 8 months old, it came with fixed cameras already pre-installed, about a week ago on the computer is said important updates was ready to be installed...so I connected to the computer to do the update.....while it was updating it said do not switch off or disconnect your sat nav......... It said what the update was for.....it said there would be no more French safety camera updates, and the download is now removing all French safety cameras from your sat nav as the French law states!!!.......Question, is yours the same, have they been removed,:Doh:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Has TOMTOM removed from all sat navs with European mapping the French safety camera's

Well my Tom Tom 1000 is about 8 months old, it came with fixed cameras already pre-installed, about a week ago on the computer is said important updates was ready to be installed...so I connected to the computer to do the update.....while it was updating it said do not switch off or disconnect your sat nav......... It said what the update was for.....it said there would be no more French safety camera updates, and the download is now removing all French safety cameras from your sat nav as the French law states!!!.......Question, is yours the same, have they been removed,:Doh:

Yes mine has been removed...
And I would say anybody with European mapping should have also had them removed if you have been updating....you may be travelling through France thinking you will be warned of a camera.......!!!!!...also the French Government have been taking down those warning signs of a fixed safety camera/radar in 1000m.... over this past year!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Surely the best warning is the current speed limit wherever you happen to be? :whatthe:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Surely the best warning is the current speed limit wherever you happen to be? :whatthe:

correct....but even the most perfect person can go over without knowing so a reminder does help:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
It may be illegal in France to have a device that warns where speed cameras are, but its not illegal to set your tomtom or other satnav to warn you if you go above a set speed on a road is it?

I think these camera alerts are actually a menace, as the dangerous drivers slow down just for the camera and then speed off again. The exact reason why average speed camera systems are popping up on most motorways in this country. You may slow down for the camera, but if you then speed up, the next camera will take your registration. Big brother is certainly watching and Automatic Numberplate Recognition ANR is making our roads safer and hopefully saving us all money too.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It may be illegal in France to have a device that warns where speed cameras are, but its not illegal to set your tomtom or other satnav to warn you if you go above a set speed on a road is it?

I think these camera alerts are actually a menace, as the dangerous drivers slow down just for the camera and then speed off again. The exact reason why average speed camera systems are popping up on most motorways in this country. You may slow down for the camera, but if you then speed up, the next camera will take your registration. Big brother is certainly watching and Automatic Numberplate Recognition ANR is making our roads safer and hopefully saving us all money too.
no, its not illegal BUT, altering. adjusting/fiddling with a satnav, or any other device including a radio, while driving is illegal.
driving while not in proper control/driving without due care and attention

its one thing to set a max speed, say 60mph for A roads, but what when you come to a restricted speed zone (village etc) and go over the speed by a few MPH ?....it wont warn you then because it's set at 60mph and a lot of speed cams are in villages :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its anything like my old tomtom, it has a record of the speed limits for all the roads and this is nothing to do with cameras. You dont reset it for each road, it can tell where you are and the speed where you are driving

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I bought hubby a Garmin Nuevi 1410 for Christmas, being female, I was relying on the salesman to advise me on a good choice when in a certain motor accessory shop:Doh: I had intended to buy Garmin and not Tom Tom before going in anyway.

We only used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and were quite impressed, it shows the speed limit on the road you're on as well as the speed you're currently doing, side by side on the screen. Also the correct lane the you should be in on some of the bigger routes. Plus the phone can be connected through the sat nav, so the passenger can answer or decline the call whilst driving.

It also pings to warn you of mobile speed cameras along the way:thumb:

Sorry, I'm off the thread now as well as talking about the UK and not France:Blush:
Margaret

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
no, its not illegal BUT, altering. adjusting/fiddling with a satnav, or any other device including a radio, while driving is illegal.
driving while not in proper control/driving without due care and attention

its one thing to set a max speed, say 60mph for A roads, but what when you come to a restricted speed zone (village etc) and go over the speed by a few MPH ?....it wont warn you then because it's set at 60mph and a lot of speed cams are in villages :Doh:

I am one that sticks to speed limits......BUT nobody can put hand on heart and say they have never gone above a speed limit, how ever small for what ever reason......I find the camera alerts just gives that quick reminder to check just in case......If you going at a fast speed and then slow quickly for a camera and then speed up again YES very dangerous....But just for a few km/mph 2 or 3km over just to correct and back to the correct speed limit this is not going to cause the driver behind any problems ! 1/ he should not be so close, 2/ he should have been doing the correct speed limit required ??:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
As I say I have removed the cameras from my TomTom. It still shows the speed I am doing and what the limit is for the road I am on. I also have it set to warn me if I am over the limit. This is not illegal in France. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I disabled all camera warnings yonks ago..
The constant warnings got right on my nerves, and in the van I believe it to be fiscally prudent ( not bad for a Thursday morning :whatthe:::bigsmile:) to travel at a speed lower than the limits set

Must admit I am a bit prone to playing silly buggers on the bikes, but the motorhome ? Nah.. we enjoy the travelling and site seeing too much to want to rush past it all

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
As I say I have removed the cameras from my TomTom. It still shows the speed I am doing and what the limit is for the road I am on. I also have it set to warn me if I am over the limit. This is not illegal in France. :thumb:

Ken this may be so, and yes they are set on mine BUT.....on mine even though it set it does not alert till around 5 km to7km above the actual speed limit:Doh: ...this happens on both my TomTom ...and NO they are not old tomtom's...one is 8 months and the other about 18 months old:Doh:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Never took note of that Mel as our Tomtom is always on Steph's side. :winky:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Never took note of that Mel as our Tomtom is always on Steph's side. :winky:

Ken never take the sat nav as 100% correct....warning sounds and otherwise..well not in France..you WILL find all this out soon enough..as you have only had a short spell...you will find all is NOT normal:Doh::winky: but that is why we like France...also you will see road signs saying 50km ...and sat nav saying 90km..and my other sat nav saying 70 or 110 km......also one sat nav saying 50 km and road signs saying 70 km..at this stage I always go for the lowest speed limit....even though I am being hooted and passed by many French drivers...never take it as they know the correct speed, a because there licence is normally full of points ... they are allowed 12 and then after that I think after 1 or two years there licence is back to normal....My hairdresser was shocked...to think that I have a clean licence and it has been clean for over 40 years. no points
..they change the signs like smoking having a cigy or they grey tape over them and put deviation / diversion ........but most of the time they do not tell you how to get back on the road you want.....or the deviation starts ok but it seems as if they have run out of signs!!! OOOPs...then you will see barriers blocking the road and deviation ...and all the traffic going through like the chicanes on a race track or a slalom course...or the deviation had finished a week ago just left the signs up till they need them for the next job.. that is France....WE LOVE IT.....And my navigator...Mmmmm is normally asleep:Eeek:...so if I trusted my navigator with a map heavens forbid, it would be on the wrong page up side down:Doh:

So most of the time you can not blame Steph.....

But I also love the sav nav it is a great aid and Map reader BRILL

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Ken never take the sat nav as 100% correct....warning sounds and otherwise..well not in France..you WILL find all this out soon enough..as you have only had a short spell... all is NOT normal:Doh::winky: but that is why we like France...also you will see road signs saying 50km ...and sat nav saying 90km..and my other sat nav saying 70 or 110 km......also one sat nav saying 50 km and road signs saying 70 km....they change the signs like smoking a cigy or they grey tape over them and put deviation / diversion ........but most of the time they do not tell you how to get back on the road you want.....or the deviation starts ok but it seems as if they have run out of signs!!! OOOPs...then you will see barriers blocking the road and deviation ...and all the traffic going through like the chicanes on a race track or a slalom course...or the deviation had finnished a week ago just left the signs up till they need them for the next job.. that is France....WE LOVE IT.....And my navigator...Mmmmm is normally asleep:Eeek:...so if trusted my navigator with a map heavens forbid, it would be on the wrong page up side down:Doh:

So most of the time you can not blame Steph.....

But I also love the sav nav it is a great aid and Map reader BRILL

Now now Mel it is a well known scientific fact that it is always Steph's fault. Don't you be putting ideas in her head, it has taken me 42 years as of yesterday to establish that fact. :thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Now now Mel it is a well known scientific fact that it is always Steph's fault. Don't you be putting ideas in her head, it has taken me 42 years as of yesterday to establish that fact. :thumb:

HeHeHe.......Well it looks like you will be having Alan next to you as a neighbour then:thumb: that will be great. Hope all goes well with his sale at home in the UK:thumb:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

This is a update to my post:Eeek:

Attachments

• img026.jpg
    img026.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 31

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Updated my Garmin 465 today and paid for lifetime updates for the device £74.99
It did not say but I assume the camera data was removed during software update which was free. I'll confirm on Saturday

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'm having trouble updating my tomtom (less than 12 months old).
Speak to Tomtom direct next week.
Have I got this right?.......
Tomtom has speed camera warnings.
In France, s long as I disable the camera function, does that satisfy the requirements?

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'm having trouble updating my tomtom (less than 12 months old).
Speak to Tomtom direct next week.
Have I got this right?.......
Tomtom has speed camera warnings.
In France, s long as I disable the camera function, does that satisfy the requirements?

John ?? I am not sure if that is enough....but its better than nothing....when I updated mine and it removed the safety cameras.....other items have appeared and been added...for example....where I used to get numbers of the speed limit of the road I was on e.g. 50km, 70km, 90km, 100km, etc...I now get fairly big signs on screen similar to the UK 30 limit signs ...round disc with ... black numbers on a white background with a outer red ring....that I did not have before??

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Now then what about if its legal here it must be in the EU that some think applies to Aframes? so it would seem some laws are different in France Spain etc, unless of course you wear your knotted hankie on your head union jack t shirt and say it dont apply mate cause im British:ROFLMAO::Doh:

:hardhat::sorry2::imoutahere:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now then what about if its legal here it must be in the EU that some think applies to Aframes? so it would seem some laws are different in France Spain etc, unless of course you wear your knotted hankie on your head union jack t shirt and say it dont apply mate cause im British:ROFLMAO::Doh:

:hardhat::sorry2::imoutahere:

With your comment A frames in mind I have asked Tom Tom to remove Spain from my Tom Tom:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back