Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Just got back from a short trip away and one evening witnessed an average sized French Motorhome backing onto a pitch with the wife standing at the back issuing instructions to her driver husband via a walkie talkie. Considering the pitch was the size of Wembley Stadium it did seem a little OTT!!:Eeek:
Shortly after that a German tugger came in with one of the new Hobby vans with all round smoked perspex giving the impression that from inside you had a 360 degree outlook. After spending some time getting his rig settled he then set about attaching an awning the size of the O2 area. Probably the first time by the look of it as he kept referring to the instruction manual and always seemed to have a pole or two the wrong size. In all it took him over two hours poor chap. I don’t think the wife was too happy either as she spent most of the time holding one of the poles up.:cry:
Stick to a motorhome with a wind out awning and you can have a brew on in 10 minutes!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we use them like a cb when travelling in a group. get them cheap in lidl or aldi at sometime in th.e summer

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
we first used them when we were fishing in Canada....I have a set to use when my sis and I are on the road (we always have a passenger with us to use them). Good idea to have a set.

Shirl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Just got back from a short trip away and one evening witnessed an average sized French Motorhome backing onto a pitch with the wife standing at the back issuing instructions to her driver husband via a walkie talkie. Considering the pitch was the size of Wembley Stadium it did seem a little OTT!!:Eeek:
Shortly after that a German tugger came in with one of the new Hobby vans with all round smoked perspex giving the impression that from inside you had a 360 degree outlook. After spending some time getting his rig settled he then set about attaching an awning the size of the O2 area. Probably the first time by the look of it as he kept referring to the instruction manual and always seemed to have a pole or two the wrong size. In all it took him over two hours poor chap. I don’t think the wife was too happy either as she spent most of the time holding one of the poles up.:cry:
Stick to a motorhome with a wind out awning and you can have a brew on in 10 minutes!

15 mins including zip privacy room...:ROFLMAO:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
And if they did what would we do for entertainment then?

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have used them when travelling in a pair, handy to give directions and if someone gets lost

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
We have a set, for when we are out on the narrowboat, so that my beloved knows when i have set the lock as sometimes i am out of sight and it save me having to walk back to wave her in!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We've got a set that are voice activated, so can leave one turned on in the van to listen in to the puppies if they start barking etc....bit like a baby monitor but works over a greater distance. When stopping at a pub for lunch we can take one with us to keep an ear out for the pups in the van or any intruders.

loads of different channels, but you do occasionally get somebody else passing through using the same. Really expensive ones are encrypted and you only hear other handsets in your group. Can work up to 4 miles in the open too

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
its bad enough having to watch women waving their arms about why the hell would you want to listen to her as well:Doh:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we had 4 come as fitted in the RV

The winnebago came fitted with 4 two ways... but we use proper Cb's one in the cab of the RV and a proper CB handheld .. very useful when you have tree cover to worry about... driving up on the ramps we use a whistle .. one hard whistle halt two short blasts forward..

But the cb works for us.. was not cheap, but it is a proper unit.. we can use it in a car as well with a mag mount and via the car 12v system.. but it was mainly obtained as a handheld stand alone.. European and Uk channels.. used it a lot in France when our daughter followed us in her car.

The cab unit in the Rv is billed as the smallest unit made.. we have the hand mic on a retriever to the roof like the American trucks do. As my RV is fibreglass I have a fully earthed ground plan ariel (no earth needed) it takes the signal up above the roof of the RV.

Very good shop for CB's in kidderminsiter (Roy) who owned it is very helpful and knows the lot about them.. Good after sales and mail order.

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We used to use em when 3 cars travelling in convoy in France, since one of us wasn't, err, very good at following directions.

We did get a crossed channel once or twice; the best was I think in Rouen, two terribly posh sounding English people, a man and a lady communicating about where to park to get to an hotel and she shouldn't leave the luggage in the car because his was broken into on that carpark and his bags stolen blah blah. Then it went quiet as we drove along. Next thing was the gendarmes tazzing past the opposite way sirens and lights going. No 1 daughter up the road in front of us was heard to exclaim, in the same posh accent, By Crikey! - you don't suppose she's had her cases nicked too, do you, old bean?

:ROFLMAO:

Good job I wasn't driving ......

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
yes we've got a set too, pretty much use them same as already commented on. In the old tugger days they were v useful for reversing van onto the drive, and also very useful for everyone around you to hear him behind the wheel be really respectful about my instructions! ::bigsmile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We use a pair of these when reversing our RV. They can be purchased direct using PayPal and with good customer service as well. One of our units developed a fault and so I sent them an email. A few days later a new pair arrived.:thumb:

Link Removed

They do not have much of a range, so when we are out walking each of us carry one of these. Good quality, solid, reliable units.

Two Way Radio

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
I have thought about getting a pair,

mainly for parking/reversing onto a pitch when its *issing it down and I'm driving ...... well I don't want to get wet with the window down do I ::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you must have a posh motorhome

I have thought about getting a pair,

mainly for parking/reversing onto a pitch when its *issing it down and I'm driving ...... well I don't want to get wet with the window down do I ::bigsmile:

Cheers
2dogs

You must have a posh motor home.. windows:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:winky:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
have a pair. found them really useful for ski trips to meet up. And then around show grounds to arrange coffee break if i am admiring a trade stand and she has moved on and got lost.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back