Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. We have a Kathrein sat.dish on the Dethleffs - original 1991 fitting as far as we're aware. It's the flat square type with the push-up pole in the wardrobe. So far we haven't used it - just used tv with an Avtex aerial. Can anyone tell me what sort of receiver gubbins will work with this dish? Original owner kept whatever box of tricks he was using, just leaving us with the cable sticking out by the power sockets ready to plug in. (It'll be used with an Avtex tv if that makes a difference :Smile:.

Many thanks for any info!!

:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi I have a Cassegrain type dish which i believe is a "similar" ( but not the same ) set up dish.::bigsmile:
my understanding is that any normal type reciever should work. we use an sky box after we upgrtaded in the house. still get all free view channels and more if we take the sky card with us..:RollEyes:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Phill, yes I was thinking of trying our old Sky dish. Will have to retrieve it from son's clutches and give it a try. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its a manual dish then any receiver should work.....providing the LNB is ok and working.

i've used a domestic (house) dish with various 12v receivers and now use a quad LNB sky mini dish with a PORTY receiver and a Zhenda receiver in the motorhome

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Phill, yes I was thinking of trying our old Sky dish. Will have to retrieve it from son's clutches and give it a try. :thumb:

I meant 'box', not 'dish' :Doh:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
knew what yew ment... should ave worked fine:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have used one for years and still do. Its better than the Oyster I used to have on the RV. If you have the chart with it they are great. If not it can be downloaded from the web. I use mine with a 12 volt freesat receiver from Maplins. Just push the pole up then turn the red knob as many times as it says on the chart, according to were you are in Europe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
should work fine with any receiver. .. but don't give up if you can't find a satellite .. it can be tricky at first , so persevere .. and be patient

this is quite a good web site to help set up http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

once you get the 'knack' it becomes second nature... I used to get mine up and aligned quicker than those with an automatic dish .

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just read www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk as you mentioned and noticed a comment from D.Sullivan about 'owners of imported German MHs' needing to be aware that the sat.dishes fitted are probably analogue. Considering ours was built in 1991 I'd imagine this probably applies to us :Sad:...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
not sure about my facts here but;:Doh: if that is the case then it will be the lnb needs changing i believe a sat dish is a sat dish is a sat dish...:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just read www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk as you mentioned and noticed a comment from D.Sullivan about 'owners of imported German MHs' needing to be aware that the sat.dishes fitted are probably analogue. Considering ours was built in 1991 I'd imagine this probably applies to us :Sad:...

not sure, but I think he is referring to the receiver rather than the antenna .. but still worth a try. Let us know how it goes..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
your probably right my misinterpretation:Doh:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
50/50 ... my original query was what type of receiver would we need to go with the Kathrein square dish. And was hoping our old Sky box would be ok which by all accounts it will. BUT, just saw the comment I mentioned in last post about 'imported German MHs probably had analogue dishes'. Do you know if one can change the LNB for a digital one? (If this is possible)

Thanks again for any info! :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
50/50 ... my original query was what type of receiver would we need to go with the Kathrein square dish. And was hoping our old Sky box would be ok which by all accounts it will. BUT, just saw the comment I mentioned in last post about 'imported German MHs probably had analogue dishes'. Do you know if one can change the LNB for a digital one? (If this is possible)

Thanks again for any info! :thumb:

If you look at a new Katherine antenna it is suitable for both analogue and digital .. it doesn't have a conventional LNB .. Link Removed

that's about the limit of my knowledge .. you could contact RoadPro who may be able to advise

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you look at a new Katherine antenna it is suitable for both analogue and digital .. it doesn't have a conventional LNB .. Link Removed

that's about the limit of my knowledge .. you could contact RoadPro who may be able to advise

:thumb: Thanks for that - Just had a look at Roadpro site and the one they show is the Bas 60, same as ours. Hopefully, as they say it uses a unique method of capturing the signal, they're still built the same now as in '91!?

Unfortunately we are parked in a friend's field, surrounded by big trees, with a large expanse of mud between us and the gate so we can't try the thing out at the moment ...

Thanks for your help!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If when it goes up its in a diamond shape its digital. If its in a square shape its analogue. Its a long time since I saw an analogue one.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If when it goes up its in a diamond shape its digital. If its in a square shape its analogue. Its a long time since I saw an analogue one.

Cool, I'll check tomorrow. I've finally managed to unearth some litterature that came with the van and it would appear the BAS 60 does both. Fingers crossed. Strange how one can never find paperwork when it's needed! :Angry:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi. We have a Kathrein sat.dish

OK I know I'm late. I should have read this thread a few months ago. We also have a Kathrein sat dish on our 1994 Hymer. It came with a Kathrein receiver/decoder box. I know the box is analogue and think the dish is as well. I want to stay with 12 volt and have not got room to carry a separate dish. Is it possible to upgrade dish and box to digital?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
OK I know I'm late. I should have read this thread a few months ago. We also have a Kathrein sat dish on our 1994 Hymer. It came with a Kathrein receiver/decoder box. I know the box is analogue and think the dish is as well. I want to stay with 12 volt and have not got room to carry a separate dish. Is it possible to upgrade dish and box to digital?

From whats been said, you just need to change the receiver/decoder box. 12v ones from maplins are good or if you see them in Aldi, these too are good and will work with your dish. both about £50 but the aldi one comes with various extras and a portable dish

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you use mains mostly, or fancy fitting a inverter the humax recivers with hard drive recording are very good:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back